ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car wont start again. Please Help.

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
as above it turns over but the actual engine wont start. when i try to start it the battery light flashes rapidly, sometimes the 'heartbeat monitor' light with the 'coil looking thing' comes on and sometimes the fuel light comes on (i dunno why as i have half a tank of unleaded 97 in there).

really starting to piss me off abit.

i have a 1.2 8v D7F Engine.

many regards

Nathan

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
It could be your crank sensor that went on mine did the same as you get it put on a computer to find out

CB600FS
Get your battery tested mate, just to eliminate the basics, does your rev counter go up when you crank it? If it doesn't its TDC sensor more than likely. Try tightening the terminals on it.

Looks like this
TDC1.jpg

Not my pic

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
ive had the battery checked and they say its ok, i know the bloke well so i know he aint fobbing me off. is that tdc sensor easy to get at?

many regards

nathan

CB600FS
Yes mate easy as, might want to removed the airbox/pipes if you need to. Can miss it, right ontop of the bell housing.

10mm socket on a 1/4" ratchet is ideal, but a 10mm spanner would do the job

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
had a look for the sensor just now with no luck all i could see was a filter of some sort.

Attachments

• DSC00234.JPG
    DSC00234.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 105
  CB600FS
Ok look at the engine, and then to the right slightly, it sits ontop of the gearbox

TDC2.jpg

Again not my pic

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
got it, checked it, bolts were on tighter than a nun's c*** im thinking of just trading it in for a toyota celica now. its just pissin me off.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Check the battery cables.
No good putting a meter or tester on the battery and saying its OK if the starter cant get the supply required to crank the engine.
Negative battery connection to the body is a known problem on these cars, high resistance caused by rust and corrosion.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
surely if it turns over the battery and connections must be ok?!

A car supply is not like the mains at home, you don’t have an almost limitless supply available, (one reason why electricians make crap auto electricians.)

The battery supply has to be capable of dumping huge amounts of current (amps) into the starter motor and keep a constant supply (volts) for the more subtle components like ECU,s which control the start sequence.

ECU,s are voltage sensitive and this is one of the main reasons some Clio’s suffer from poor starting in the cold weather.

The fact the starter motor is turning means nothing, if the plugs aren’t firing or the immobiliser wont switch off. (or in this case, the diesel injection ECU isn’t working properly)

If you have a voltmeter, try this. Connect it to your cigar lighter and turn on the 1st ignition position (Aux). With a good well-charged battery you should get a reading of about 13.8 volts (v1)

Now turn on the ignition see how much it drops. (v2)
Now crank the engine and check the voltage. (v3)
Finally, when the engine fires up and the alternator gets going check the voltage again. (v4)

What you have learnt from this, is the range of voltage conditions under which your delicate electronic components need to work. V3 -V4 being the extremes.

So if you have dragged the supply down even further, by caning the arse off the battery with some big stereo system or heavy use of lights, heated screens/seats etc.. The battery is on a hiding to nothing to keep up.
Add some dodgy connections or battery terminal corrosion and you have the answer.

The clue was in the first post on this….it turns over but the actual engine wont start. when i try to start it the battery light flashes rapidly, sometimes the 'heartbeat monitor' light with the 'coil looking thing' comes on and sometimes the fuel light comes on

Renault Clio 1.2 RN MK2
ok this is what i have done, went out and bought a new '-' earth cable for the battery to the chassis, a battery charger with supply tester.

took off the old cable, used a bit of WD-40 on the chassis to get thge rust off, fitted with a new bolt. battery tester came up full charge on battery. checked the bolts on the TDC Sensor and gave that a dose of wd-40 aswell.

and i have removed the angel eyes temporarily(before this problem occurred as water was getting in behind the lens.)

I have checked all the fuses (engine bay and main fuse box instide the car)

i have checked all the HT Leads.

NEXT
next thing to buy is a voltmeter and test the voltages supplied at the Cigarette Socket.
THEN
next will have to possibly remove and fit a new earthing strap.

Other than that ill have to take it to the garage.

thanks for all your help guys, Very Much Appreciated.

Many Regards

Nathan

PS ill keep you posted on the progress.

Hi guys, I seen this thread and have had a same sort of problem at times. Im looking at this and would like to see if my TDC is the problem, however I had a quick look today and couldnt spot it (at te pics above it looks like its on the left hand side of the engine lump ? ) Here is my bay, could any give me an idea of which area its in, and what I have to move to get access to it on my 172 ?
Many thanks.
photo0005tb5.jpg