ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wont start - No electrics working???

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hi there

I had bad earth connection problems with my car for the battery. I moved the earth so it goes battery to engine block. Is this a bad thing?

Now the car ticks over but wont start? Inside the car none of the electrics work but the immobilizer light flickers and the oil and temperature light are on too even if the key is not in the ignition? When i flick the interior light on and off (even though it doesn't go on) those lights that are on flick too and the radio flicks on and off??? My guess is that it is short circuiting??? Also when i pres the key button to lock and unlock the car u hear the noise but nothing happens. There also a ticking noise coming from the relays? How do u test relays? However when i was shaking the key in the ignition trying to start it my lights all worked for abit and my fuel came up like normal but as soon as i turned it for it to tick over it all went back again????????

Could this new earth F**ked something up? What is wrong please help. Ive checked all the fuses they are all ok. Could it be the relays or even the TDC sensor (where is this located if so).

Please help me.....

You could have shorted the ECU disconnect the earth from the block and connect it to the chassis the engine is on rubber mounts so nothing will earth to the block something's telling me you f*cked it

Nick

FF 182
I said the other day in your previous thread i though the crank sensor, on top of the gear box also known as tdc sensor i believe is the problem but you decided to take apart your starter motor and fiddle with other things.

Mine had lights on the dash, then everything turned off as usual but the car would not start, however the fuel pump etc all primed. RAC came out, took off the crank sensor, cleaned the connections and refitted and been fine ever since.

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hey @Elfy i did take note of your comment and went on to research the tdc but i cant seem to find it (i was looking in the dark with a torch) so maybe thts the problem. Ill give that a go tomoz thanx :D And @chapster5 what do u mean ive F*cked it? Is that the engine, whole electrics or just the ecu system? is earthing from the battery to the engine block a bad thing to do? DId this because the original earth wasnt working the car wouldnt even tick over... (maybe its safe to say that theres a ticking noise where the relays are by the battery?)

It could be a number of things but first things first set things right earth your battery to some point on your chassis CLEAN the fixing point until its 100% free from oil or grease or road grime. Once you've done this see if that changes anything because everything that I know of earths to the chassis even things on the engine block.

Let's go from there if not there may be a problem with a loose wire somewhere in the car unless your confident with electrics I wouldn't attempt finding this and I would get and auto electrician on the case. There may bE a loose live contacting the chassis which is causing a short and causing your starting problems and not a bad earth. If not may be an ECU issue you may have blown it but start with the basics setting things straight. Work backwards!

Nick

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Ok thanx for the help nick ill start doing that today and get back to u, becfore i even start thinking about the ecu or live wires out i want to check the tdc sensore (but dont know how it looks - someone said its on top of the gear box - can i see/get to it from the top?) and also test to see if all the relays are working? Are there only 3 relays which are located in the black box next to my battery? how do u test them?

Clio 1.4 RT V-reg
Hi there ive found the problem but dont know how to fix it.. It was a bad earth. If i have the earth going from the battery to the body (original setup) then the car wont even tick over. But as soon as i add a jump lead from the battery to the engine block it starts perfectly. What does this mean? in a way i am bypassing the connection from the body to the chassis?