ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car wont stop revving? stops when brakes are pressed

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
just washed my engine bay off with the engine running, it started to rev by its self and stays at around 4000rpm. when the brake pedal is pressed it goes back to normal. there is also a light on the dash, its the box with squiggly line going through it. any suggestions any1?

Various
Sounds like you might have got water in your connection to your coil pack or throttle body. Take them out and make sure they are dry.

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
i have just took it off to see if there is any dampness by the plugs but it isas if the revs are sticking on high and the throttle body is staying shut?

Various
The light coming on is linked to you throttle body/coil pack/throttle pedal sounds like you have got water in 1 of them connections and its shorting.

Try drying all the connections if they have water in, or maybe wait a bit and it should dry out by itself, then give you car a start and see what happens

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
im just checking all now i have just read another thread about this warning light and it was in relation to throttle pedal, do you know where the throttle pedal connector is? thanks

Various
Its on the top left hand side of the pedal its about an inch long and thin.

Clipped in at ether side if you wanted to remove the connection

2008 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
I had this exact same problem with my old Megane 1.6. It was nothing to do with getting wet as I hadnt cleaned the engine bay. It turned out to be a fuel flow sensor that failed. Get her on diagnostics asap mate.

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
i have checked but the connection at throttle pedal seems fine,the light has now gone off but still stays at 4000 revs and comes on when rev?sorry to be a pain do think i should possibly wait a bit and see if drys out by itself?thanks

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
I had this exact same problem with my old Megane 1.6. It was nothing to do with getting wet as I hadnt cleaned the engine bay. It turned out to be a fuel flow sensor that failed. Get her on diagnostics asap mate.

thanks it was absolutely fine before i decided to jet wash the engine bay :(

i have checked but the connection at throttle pedal seems fine,the light has now gone off but still stays at 4000 revs and comes on when rev?sorry to be a pain do think i should possibly wait a bit and see if drys out by itself?thanks

Id defo wait a bit, the other thing it could be is you havent put the plenum on correctly and its not got a proper seal on the lower inlet which means air leak, this causes a rise in rpm

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
the light has now gone off, but the revs are still staying at 4000rpm. now they wont drop even when the brake is pressed.

Yeah if the plenum is not put on correctly it can cause the revs to rise constantly way above 4000rpm, it sounds like there is some moisture in a connection somewhere, wont be the plenum as it was happening before you took if off, would recommend leaving it for a while until everything dries out

M2 Competition
Throttle position sensor a possibility if it sits at 4k revs. Likely got water in it/ knocked it with jetwasher.

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
just started up and its doing the same, went out for a few minutes in it to see if it would sort itself out, its now ideling at just over 1000rpm but as soon as i go over 3000rpm it sends the electrical fault light on and goes into limp mode. im hoping it sorts itself out

my pressure washer use to be my best friend, now i feel like setting it on fire lol

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
problem now sorted, my fusebox has been removed along with a few other bits to get painted, at the bottom was a white plug, i pulled this apart and it was wet inside i dried it out at 1st it didnt seem to do anything and made the car rev up past 4500 rpm then gradualy dropped and is now back to normal, thanks for the all the help everybody. il never pressure was an engine bay again lol

Various
problem now sorted, my fusebox has been removed along with a few other bits to get painted, at the bottom was a white plug, i pulled this apart and it was wet inside i dried it out at 1st it didnt seem to do anything and made the car rev up past 4500 rpm then gradualy dropped and is now back to normal, thanks for the all the help everybody. il never pressure was an engine bay again lol
You jet washed it with no cover on the fuses :O

just started up and its doing the same, went out for a few minutes in it to see if it would sort itself out, its now ideling at just over 1000rpm but as soon as i go over 3000rpm it sends the electrical fault light on and goes into limp mode. im hoping it sorts itself out

my pressure washer use to be my best friend, now i feel like setting it on fire lol

Think you may need setting on fire if you jet washed your engine with no fuse cover :D

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
i didnt actually pressure was the fuse box i was cleaning the other side of the engine bay and it just got wet, was really stupid of me now i think about it lol