ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car wouldn't start!?

Pretty much as the title. I went to get some cash out this evening, and when I returned to the car, it started, then cut out. I then tried again and it wouldn't start, you could hear what I assumed was the starter motor, but nothing else.

I was low on fuel, but no fuel light, but I was parked on a hill. When the key was turned to stage 3 you could hear a clicking coming from the battery/fusebox area. Anyway the RAC came out and as soon as he got there, it started first time!

Anyone any idea what it could've been?

Anyone? Guy at work thinks it might be the starter solenoid? Could it be this? Don't want to leave it to chance that it won't happen again? Any thoughts would be appreciated?....

Also, when I tried to start it, it would crank over for a few seconds, then stop. It wouldn't just continually turn over.

I had heard that, but then why would it start for no reason? And why would immobliser randomly kick in?

I was thinking maybe it could be a bore wash?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Yee i would say tdc sensor is starting to play up, give it a clean and see if the problem continues,

Right, had a similar problem today, stopped the engine for probably 2-3 mins while I waited for the keyholder this morning, the engine was warm as it had been running for 30 mins! Started the car again and it cut out, same as last time. I tried to start it again and it was fine second time, it started no issues, anyone got any ideas at all?

I haven't had chance to check it, but I was going to have a little bit of investigation this weekend, could it be the TDC sensor as people have said? If so where is it? and what needs doing to it?

clio 172
hi mate it could be and they will not start when they fail not to expensive from gsf and an easy change so worth starting there its beside the engine on the right hand side under the thermastat housing above the gearbox two 10mm bolts easy peasy hope this helps ya out

Cheers pal, little nervous of screwing it all up tbh, so its just a case of; Unplug the battery, locate the sensor, unplug the sensor, replace with new one, reconnect battery? That right?

Bike*
It sounds to me like your starter motor is sticking,

If it is your starter motor it may just stick for good in a few days, or weeks and if it does try hitting it with a hammer first (not like a mad mad) firmly. If not try bumping it

Just turn your battery on put it in second, clutch down and get a push/tow let clutch up slowly if it starts it will probably be the starter motor or solenoid

It sounds to me like your starter motor is sticking,

If it is your starter motor it may just stick for good in a few days, or weeks and if it does try hitting it with a hammer first (not like a mad mad) firmly. If not try bumping it

Just turn your battery on put it in second, clutch down and get a push/tow let clutch up slowly if it starts it will probably be the starter motor or solenoid

It starts though, then cuts out? Surely if it was the starter motor it wouldn't start?

Fiesta ST
I had a similar problem last month. Car would start sometimes then not others, then it started doing the same as yours where it would start then cut out straight away.

Took the TDC sensor out and gave it a clean and so far so good, started first time everytime.

Really easy to do and free, worth a go

Bike*
It starts though, then cuts out? Surely if it was the starter motor it wouldn't start?

It could be on its way out, sticking somtimes and starting others, but if it is the starter motor, it will eventually stick all the time.

Just a suggestion mate dont take my would for it but its possible

clio 172
YHH jonff got a point put bitter tape over the hole little tip if they do fall you are down s**t creak so to speak

Clio 1.4 dynamic
Hi just to shed a bit or light I had the same problem with my last 1.2 expression I got told it was the tdc sensor so I got one from the local scrappy for free ;) (pocket size) and fitted it, it was fine for a few days and then it just didnt start it would just turn over for a few seconds then cut out so I swapped it back with the old one and still it wouldn't start, i knoticed the immobiliser light was constantly so I then noticed the central locking want working correctly so that was down to the key so got a new key programmed by a top quality fella for 100 quid put the key in gave the battery some life n she lived it was down to the key in the end the motherboard in the key had hairline fracture a common fault I was told that slowly dies I hop this sheds some light and if u want to check the tdc sensor it is under the air box/ filter just unscrew 2 10 mm bolts n disconnect bit of a essay but I hope it helps :) ( whoop 3rd post haha )