ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Fibre Interior Trim

Hi all, my first post on here so be gentle lol...

I have asked Griff if it is ok to post up about this and he said it was ok to post..

I have recently started doing custom carbon interior trim for myself and mates (plus a couple of bits on ebay, user ID TonyT1965) as I think the prices people charge are disgusting to be honest, so I wanted to do something about that...

I dont make molds I simply laminate original parts, although i do things a little different to most... the items get 5 coats of 2k laquer and the finish is excellent.. this is NOT a business, I work for a local Uni as an IT officer, its more a labour of love... plus the fact I do this in my dining room means I have no overheads...

I am VERY involved in the local modified car scene.. I organise events and am well known in the local modified car scene as I do bits of custom lighting amongst other things (mostly for skylines)...

anyway, I'll cut to the chase, I have recently had a look around for carbon interior trim for the clio and found very little, so I decided to do some to see what the initial reaction was like...

below pics of what I have done, the trim pieces from a 172/182 ...

clio1.jpg

clio3.jpg

I am really after your opinions to be honest, if you think they might be worth doing, or other interior bits that are lacking in the current market then I would be interested to hear about it...

anyway, if any of you have opinions about this please let me know what you think (good OR bad), I'll probably put these on ebay over the weekend and see what the interest is like, I offer a 100% money back guarantee anyway so theres no risk..

all the best, and thank you for taking the time to read this..

Tony Thurston

Need to get some pictures of it fitted in the car! But looks spot on!

Its funny this has come up though because a friend of mine bought some dash trims for his BMW and it cost him around the £1000-1500 mark!!! It does look the shizzle though :p But a bloody rip off!

Monaco 37/468
How much would we be talking, are you putting them on ebay for buy it now because if you do I want first dibs :)

cheers for the replies, they look BETTER in real life...

what sort of price do people think would be fair to charge to do these (on an exchange basis so I can do more)...

and trust me, I am NOT a greedy man..

Tony

C

clvs2222

tony, you have PM! (private message, top of screen on the right, lol)

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
They look Stunning.... If a decent Price I'll take a set aswell as will tie the Interior with Exterior then :D

hi all, I'd be a LOT happier if one of your guys near me could have a look at these and report back to you, as pictures are not always indicative of the product... I think they are stunning, hopefully one of your guys will also think so...

as for price, its a difficult one really as i KNOW how much bits like this in carbon cost, and I also know its far too expensive for what it is which is why I started making stuff for my own car.. plus the fact you cant buy what I wanted...

OK, after thinkin this through I have come up with a price which I think is both fair and affordable to everone, so I'll do these for £80 a pair...

this will cover my costs plus a few quid for my 2 boys to bloody spend bless em.. lol..

100% no questions asked money back guarantee, the only thing is I would need your trim to carbon laminate, this way we know it'll be an exact fit and there wont be any problems...

how does this all sound??

plus maybe once people are happy with what I do, I can look at other interior bits as well, just an idea..

anyway, is there anyone near me who can have a lok at these initially, so I can fit them and they can give a report back to the forum, I'd really like an informed opinion from someone on here before I sell any..

I will hold back putting the first set on ebay for now to see if anyone can have a look at them..

all the best

Tony

C

clvs2222

sorry, £80 plus exchange is way to high. if they were made of pure carbon it would be a decent price but not for laminate. theres some1 on here that going to make them propily and i dont think they wil be more than £80. lower your price man!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Great looking bits there mate, i'm a carbon fibre freek lol, as mentioned though, £80 would be a touch steep for laminate for me too.. but supply & demand may see it fetch you good turn around ;) , for me the the one thing i thought would look ace in carbon fibre would be the silver clock sourround, staring at carbon fibre all day would be ace :cool:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Also another one, laminate the top half of the standard air box, would have no reason at all to buy the itg maxogen then, think it would look really tidy if all the thins were removed & the hole thing in carbon :D

no worries guys thanks for taking the time to give me your opinions... they are all really appreciated..

I came up with what I thought was a fair price based on materials, cost getting the items finished and polished (at the bodyshop) and time spent by me to make, trim and sand the items.. what I also did though (wrongly) was add in the initial cost of the trim off ebay, which obviously wouldn't apply on an exchange basis....

I searched for quite a while to try and find anything like this for sale but found nothing even close... but I didnt know someone else was making these in carbon on here, so I will bow out now as I really dont want to tread on someones toes who may well do this as a business... wouldn't be right at all and definately not my style..

thanks for your time and good comments, all the best

Tony

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Since your not making these mate any chance of a little info on how to make them or even what i would need? really fancy havin the dial surrounds done :)

I'll still make them James, but as stated above wont tread on anyones toes so it'll be ebay, in fact the first set is already on lol..

also meeting a member from here tomorrow to show him these and talk to him about some other bits hes after doing, so maybe he may report when hes seen these in the flesh, which may be of use if anyone wants other items doing..

all the best

Tony

172 Clio Extreme
just lookin at them on ebay ..

mite sound daft but where exactly do they go on the car?!

ones on the glovebox im guesing?!

and the other too the right of the steering wheel?!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
just lookin at them on ebay ..

mite sound daft but where exactly do they go on the car?!

ones on the glovebox im guesing?!

and the other too the right of the steering wheel?!

^^^^^^Yes mate it is those ones you are talking about!

Hi all, after some of your comments about the price of the trim the other day I've been having a look round the internet to try and find carbon laminated items that would make ME think my prices were too expensive....

I did find a couple of sites that did comparable items (granted for differnt marques) but they showed just the opposite, so I was wondering if those of you who had an opinion could point me in the direction of the websites or companies that these opinions are based on, so I can see first hand the prices other people are charging...

hope you can help with this..

all the best

Tony

C

clvs2222

^^yea, alot cheaper than the real carbon fibre. £80 is stupid price! its on laminate. y do you take it to a body shop to be polished? do it yourself, thats probily your biggest cost.

I cant really see anything comparable on the above thread, altho I do appreciate this is pre preg and not wet lay up like mine, and made from a mold and not laminated...

I cant actually find what I make anywhere on the net, maybe someone knows where they are available??

clvs2222, thanks for your comments, not sure what you mean by "its on laminate" though? also I take it to a mate to be finished as he has ovens and all the facilities to do the job properly, plus the skills, and I dont.. so rather then me do a bad job it goes to him to be finished properly... you are rght though, it is a big part of the cost, but to me its well worth it really given the end result...

cheers for the comments again..

Tony

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Not a clue tbh mate, had a scan through the web looking for what u make and i cant find anything anywhere. I dont think that streamline carbon folk are doing these bits anyway. However £80 is still a bit steap. Id say your best of starting at say £60. even £50 if you can afford to go so low and get the interest. If ur work is as good as you say it is then as soon as people see it theyl pay the £80 you require.

Good Luck Though.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
right just want to ask something here regarding the process you are going through to make these really.....

you get the original moulding, get some GENUINE carbon fibre sheet/fabric, lay it on (or fix it, whatever) and then laminate over the top of that

you're not using some cheap abs sheet or whatever its called (the carbon fibre imitation stuff)

so the process you are missing out is the mould making etc by covering the original items? is that correct? and still you are charging £80 for 2 mouldings?

don't get me wrong here i think what you are doing is a great idea, as if its cosmetic parts you are covering the weight saving is irrelevant (imo), but the cost is too high!

put it this way, i have arranged for streamline carbon to make spoilers for the mk1 clio, using the original phase 1 spoiler as its mould. full pre preg autoclaved spoiler, final cost £119.99.

as i say don't take what i'm saying the wrong way, as i can't get hold of a carbon fibre scuttle panel for any decent amount of money, so doing something like this could really be an option, but the cost would have to reflect the process involved

if you fancy covering a scuttle panel for decent money give me a shout, i'm close aswell (selby, north yorks) ;)

again fair comments, as said above in my initial costing I made a mistake and included the original cost of the trim pieces (bought off ebay) which obviously wouldnt apply if these were done on an exchange basis... so you'd be looking at about £65 and not £80...

pretty much what you said re the process geesus, with a couple of differences, and the items are finished at a body shop using several coats of 2k laquer to get the finish that people seem to like (altho not everyone will like it). I probably use similar carbon fibre to the guys who do the pre preg stuff, except via wet lay up .. 2x2 twill fabric (also use carbon / kevlar on some items if requested)...

my stuff is COMPLETELY for show, not for weight saving, but its simply done to look good, it started by me being asked by mates to do stuff for their show cars, so the weight saving is immaterial, its all about the look, hence me getting a mate to professionally finish them...

I cover things that noone else finds worthwhile doing, and (IMO) at a price that is both fair and affordable for the work involved and the fact the items I do are pretty unique usually...

all the best, thanks for the comments, all well received..

Tony

Last edited: