ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon Fibre Splitter Re-Finishing

Clio 182 sport
Hello All I am new here but was just wondering if anyone on here has previously done or know how to help us out.
When I bought my Clio the front splitter was painted a gloss black and I never thought about it but over time there has been a few chips and I have noticed that it is actually a carbon fibre splitter!
I have sat there today with t-cut today and got rid of the majority of the paint and got the carbon fibre back but I now have a problem that the little chips stick out now (can see why it was painted) but was wondering if I could use wet/dry and work through the grades if the carbon fibre look is there through out and if so I have read I can use clear coat and this will help bring it back up.
Also on either corner the splitter has been cracked, I've read somewhere on this forum that this can be repaired and to use an old bank card and glue this on the back over the crack so in theory it ties the two parts together I will photo these tomorrow when it is light again any help would be really appreciated as this is bugging me and I hope to do it this weekend cheers in advance
Carl

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Carlos. They are crap. I have one on mine, when i got it, it looked mint, shiney carbon fibre but now it is stone chipped like mad and has a white colour, looks like plastics when they get polish on. I hate mine and would prefer a standard one over mine anyday.

Clio 182 sport
Hi Carlos. They are crap. I have one on mine, when i got it, it looked mint, shiney carbon fibre but now it is stone chipped like mad and has a white colour, looks like plastics when they get polish on. I hate mine and would prefer a standard one over mine anyday.

Oh, well i have cleaned the majority of the paint now and to be perfectly honest it dont look to bad with bumper shine on it, just up close you can see the chips that is why i would like to sand it down to feather the blemishes out a little bit but would like to know if the carbon fibre weave will be through out?
On my previous Clio I had the plastic splitter but i always found it was a bit too flimsy and would crack too easy.
I have hit a cat and the splitter has stayed but has got a crack on either corner hence why i asked about repairing these.

Clio 182 sport
cant you re skin them in 2x2 carbon sheet?[/QUOT

What do you mean by re skin?

Get someone to weave carbon around the splitter?

Or get like a vinyl sticker?

Ideally i would like to just use some wet dry between 1000-2000 grit nothing to harsh just enough to feather some blemishes out

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Pointless reskimming, what it would cost for thatto be done would be better put towards a new one, then sell yours and youd have enough for a new one.

Agree about the standard one, they snap so easy, at least the carbon ones are stronger.

In relation to the skoda, they are great for the price, but they look no were near as good as a genuine one. Its the way the standard one curves that makes it look so good imo, skoda are hust a flat strip really.