ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

caring for my valver !

just bought a 96 valver and want to keep it in the best possible shape...whats the best regular checks, jobs i can do to keep it running well for years to come.

I know if they are neglected they can let u down.

Oil, water, break fluid....normal stuff really

But a little bit of advice....as soon as u think there may be a slight problem with ur car, clutch slipping, wheel making slight whinning noise, stuff like that, get it looked at STRAIGHT away!!!

Every day u leave it the more expensive it becomes to fix!

....have fun!

the front drivers side wheel is making a slight whining noise....will it be a bearing ?

doesnt make the noise all the time

Well my car made a whining noise from the front drivers wheel, and it turned out to be a bearing! and i drove it for a week or two before fixing it, and it managed to weald its self on!!.....£110 later it was fixed.

The way u can tell if its a bearing is if the noise stops when u turn the wheel to the right slighty whilste driving.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Get oil change done every 6k or sooner. National Tyres charge 20 quid for Duckhams QXR semi synthetic and filter. Oil is worth that on its own so not worth doing it yourself.

Check/replace dizzy cap, rotor arm, spark plugs and leads as this could lose power if worn.

Coolant flush when weather allows you to do as a bit of a nasty job in the cold.

Fuel filter often gets forgotten so chaneg every 36k I think or now if you dont know when last done.

10k boost or similar sprayed in throttle body helps decoke engine.

Additives to fuel system help injectors, valves etc and usually makes car go better.

Simply doing all of this can make your car feel better as it may have been 137 bhp out of factory but will lose power over time. Maintenance of ths kind would restore lost power.

one thing i will say is always let it warm up before nailing it (if your going to)
I dont take mine over 3k until its warmed up & even then I dont thrash it.

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 08 February 2005

one thing i will say is always let it warm up before nailing it (if your going to)
I dont take mine over 3k until its warmed up & even then I dont thrash it.
this is a defo

valvers are rotten to drive when theyre cold, best bet is to try and let it idol for a but before driving anywhere

i got some gunk for mine, in a spray can, so i will see how that goes/

I also bought a new spark plug cover & im going to paint the rocker cover too (got a new gasket for it) as it looks poo at the min.

guess what ill be doing the weekend !

megane coupe F7R

Quote: Originally posted by Rodg16v on 08 February 2005

the front drivers side wheel is making a slight whining noise....will it be a bearing ?

doesnt make the noise all the time
My valvers been doin that for ages. Turn slightly left under a accelleration and its griding with a horrible noise and i can feel it in the footwell. Bushes are fine and the antiroll bar. Naturally ive changed the wheel bearing and the driveshaft but still no joy. Gonna wait til it breaks i think. Spent a few hundred quid for nothin so far:(