ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cars caput?? or just the head gasket?

Clio 1.2 8v
driving home from the gym and got half way home when i heard a series of loud CLACKS, thats the only word to describe it,

only occurs when i put my foot on the accelerator, more revs louder clacks, then when i reached a roundabout and put my foot down on the clutch it cut out completely leaving me stranded,

managed to get it started and limped home as i live about 1 min away which then died on my drive and not moved since.

its a 2000 reg 1.2 8v grande,

on idle it thumps like its got a hemi under the bonnet and the exhaust sounds vicious but its idling at normal rmp.

any ideas? thanks guys.

Clio 1.2 8v
when you say it thumps do you mean the actuall engine is thumping about in the mounts or missfiring as if its running on 3 cylinders?

yeah more like 3 cylinders, its come off the mount before and its no where near the same,

ive tried not to fire it up as im concerned its goign to cause more damage if not already done so,

what else is there i can do to help u guys?

make a video and post it u if i have time?

Clio 1.2 8v
yeah everything looks fine including the cam belt cause that was my first idea, hence y i now think its internal.

Clio 1.2 8v
managed to limp it to the garage today and was told that without taking the head off to see exactly whats wrong they wont know for sure but all the symptoms lead to them assuming it has dropped a valve quoting £600-£800.

ouch aye. this about right?

should i or can i have a go myself? i am mechanically minded as i do car body and paint at college.

cheers people