ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cars firing on 3 cylinders!!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
This isnt good, i thought it was the exhaust but the engine management light came on...!

I think its a coil pack and/or spark plug! Anyone recommend anywhere ill get these 2 things cheap.

Phoned Euro Car parts the coil pack is £32 and the spark plugs are less that £3. Is this cheap????:mad: :mad: :mad:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ONLY use the genuine sparkplugs, they dont like anything else in my experiance, genuine ones are around £12 each though if i remember correctly

think its probably more likely to be the leads rather than the coil pack, ive never had a coil pack go on any 172 ive worked on but had to replace leads on 2!

not sure what the genuine leads cost, but magnecor are about £70 for the blue and just over £80 for the red i think

ballistic jap missile!!!
have you tried mopping down the plug holes,they're prone to getting damp/wet and running rough.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
have you tried mopping down the plug holes,they're prone to getting damp/wet and running rough.

Im gonna get stuck into it tomorrow, what the exhaust tech guy said it could be a spark plug problem (the camblet and tensioners along with a service was done less than 3 months ago so the spark plugs seems non viable)

Surley if there was a problem with hos work it should have developed long before now!

Scirocco GT 210
My car decided to run on 3 cylinders once (spark plug died), was awful. A guy towing a caravan overtook me and I couldn't do anything to stop him!

Simple fix though, just swapped the spark plug for a new one and all was good again.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
My car decided to run on 3 cylinders once (spark plug died), was awful. A guy towing a caravan overtook me and I couldn't do anything to stop him!

Simple fix though, just swapped the spark plug for a new one and all was good again.

It might not be the spark plug (i hope to christ for the sake of sparing cash i dont have at the mo) it is...

How long were you driving the thing on 3 cylinders for? Suley the cat was flooding with fuel? lol

Scirocco GT 210

It might not be the spark plug (i hope to christ for the sake of sparing cash i dont have at the mo) it is...

How long were you driving the thing on 3 cylinders for? Suley the cat was flooding with fuel? lol

Ran on 3 cylinders for a few days and about 250 miles. :S

That was over 3 years ago now and the cat was (and still is) fine.

clio 172
i had this problem,

it ended up being the HT leads

When i run the engine and lifted the bonnet i could here sparking, and further investigation i could see a spark from the middle of my HT lead to plenum. What had happened was, the HT lead had been rubbing under the plenum and worn through one of the leads, so i taped it up with electrical insulation tape and replaced them with some magnecor leads.

It might be worth taking your plenum off and check all your leads for signs of rubbing.

Good luck

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
mmmm thats expensive, still i dont compromise when it comes to my car im very picky on things like this, if one spark plug fails id change them all same goes for the leads! :eek:

ITB'd MK1
I'd change the plugs anyway TBH, they wont have been done (and aren't due to be by renault service intervals) but they're not expensive and you have to do most of the work to change them if you change the leads

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I'd change the plugs anyway TBH, they wont have been done (and aren't due to be by renault service intervals) but they're not expensive and you have to do most of the work to change them if you change the leads

The plugs were changed 3 months ago, bosch reckon the plugs should technically last upto 30k miles (although not recommended, they would last)