ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cars, loss of motivation

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
I'm the opposite to this. Twenty years now I've had this old wreck :) I don't think i'll ever sell it, ever. Told my kids to bury me in it.

13620356_10153789378710415_5603661156508282931_n.jpg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
@NorthloopCup is bang on. Not using a car is a great way to hurt your enthusiasm for it.

I went through a phase of changing cars all the time but don't so much now. Buying and selling cars annoys me now, as it can be a lot of hassle.

The Clio was a big change for me. Would keep that forever if I could.

Clio 197,with megan'
@NorthloopCup is bang on. Not using a car is a great way to hurt your enthusiasm for it.

I went through a phase of changing cars all the time but don't so much now. Buying and selling cars annoys me now, as it can be a lot of hassle.

The Clio was a big change for me. Would keep that forever if I could.
I had loads of cars over the years, but my Meg Clio, might just be a keeper. The car is faster than my ability to drive it,(Old age and all that!.) and really looking forward to Spa in a weeks time.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I went through a lull when I had a son.

I met this old boy at work who said he could never own a car if he didn't get excited holding the key. That moment onwards I fell back in love with cars.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I'm feeling the same about my Clio. Just leaving it until using it doesn't have any guilt attached to using it

Clio 197,with megan'
There is a thread, on the other forum, Clio Meg 320 conversion, from when it was put( Flung!.) together, to where it is now.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
my place is littered with cars I've got attached to and then not used and lost interest. by that time they too knackered to sell, flol

mk1 turbo - now a shell that's just full of junk and rotting
phase 1 172 - nearly finished it then got it stuck on back of drive so just full of bits been collecting
mk1 172 converted track car - went to replace exhaust after bad day at Bedford in February this year and now its got no brakes, suspension,subframe, exhaust and after a bodged cambelt attempt a stripped cam too........
saab 9-3 HOT aero - exhaust fell off it so just abandoned

RB 182 - mint, use it everyday and its still trucking......thank god

535d / t5 caravelle
my place is littered with cars I've got attached to and then not used and lost interest. by that time they too knackered to sell, flol

mk1 turbo - now a shell that's just full of junk and rotting
phase 1 172 - nearly finished it then got it stuck on back of drive so just full of bits been collecting
mk1 172 converted track car - went to replace exhaust after bad day at Bedford in February this year and now its got no brakes, suspension,subframe, exhaust and after a bodged cambelt attempt a stripped cam too........
saab 9-3 HOT aero - exhaust fell off it so just abandoned

RB 182 - mint, use it everyday and its still trucking......thank god
Never knew the mk1 turbo was history, when i had my valver and williams i always aspired to this, ( never halpemed ) What a shame about your mk1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

535d / t5 caravelle
Halpemed translates to happened via Wikipedia [emoji1531]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Is what it is @bill unfortunately, things neglected and will be for some time but I can't sell it as if someone else finished it I'd be mortified

This is a weird one for me as I absolutely love cars and would do anything to be in a position to drive them all!
However, I’ve been in family cars for the majority of my PERSONAL OWNERSHIP.....

Age 17 I had a Corsa 1.4 Sport
Age 18 I swapped the Corsa for a Passat 1.8T
Age 20 we had a 1.6 Zafira A
Age 22 we bought a New Zafira B 1.7CDTI (should’ve got the 1.9 but insurance was shite)
Age 25 we bought a 4 year old Octavia VRS for me to get to work with ? and swapped the Zafira in for a New Alhambra SE LUX 187bhp <<< the most powerful standard car we’ve ever owned ??
Age 26 I swapped the VRS for a Superb elegance 2.0tdi estate for work reasons and that’s had some abuse and is a great car to drive.

However... I have also worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car.... so I’ve driven everything from a Toyota Aygo to a Mercedes S-Class all new vehicles or less than 3years old, all cars/vans were aged from 2012-2016

One thing I learned when working for enterprise is NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS.... TRY THE CAR FIRST!I

I LOVE, the way an insignia SRI feels to drive as a daily... most people hate them, however, I’ve driven the VXR version on a track day and it was horrendous!
I LOVE, the way a Toyota Aygo drives.. most people hate them, but for thrashing it through the gears and not a care in the world as it’s such a cheap car, it’s great for around town...however...I’d would never of cosidered one!

I HATE most of the Mercedes stuff due to their s**t interiors, they were just so plastic and unwelcoming, with exception of the s-class, but I’d loved all things Mercedes before I’d worked there! (The proper AMG stuff is a different kettle of fish, just for the engine noise alone I’d own one ?)

Two cars that were seriously underrated in 2016 (IMO) was the Mazda 3 2.2 petrol engine, great bits of kit and drove really well... however, it’s VERY expensive to replace a windscreen on one! The car has to go back to Mazda for recalibration of the rain sensor and collusion equipment! The second car.... waIt for it... the Fiat 500X.... that car was amazing in the twisties for what it was and I’d often opt Tom take one of them home for a spirited drive... great handling car, but ugly as hell!

Last edited:
I've lost the love with my Clio. Happens quite often. Especially when it's sitting there and needs something doing to it before I can use it again.

Then when I do get back out in it I remember why I have it and am happy again for the next period of time.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I lost the love of my ph1... high compression bottom end and itb’s.... Got the love back!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Sack l cars off and get into bikes.

They don’t lose money, go silly fast and I tend not to get bored of nearly dying everytime I go out on it.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
You have to dress like a tool on a bike as well. And I like listening to the radio. And shouting at people on bikes. Can't shout at them so much if you're one of them.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Your not alone... I'm much the same, only most of my stuff I don't even keep for a year lol, hence why I'm now in a Lupo GTi and not a Clio.

A break away may be a good thing, sell up, buy something really dull and boring then in a year you can get something awesome, and have loads of saved up cash to add to the car purchase or to modify it afterwards and you can use the time away to make sure what you buy next is what you really, really want.

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
oooh, nice.

Quadra?

Finding parts must be an utter ballache these days lol
Yes, Quadra. Rescued it from a scrap yard in Accrington after an engine bay fire in '98-ish, found another 1991 Quadra in a scrap yard in Wales that had been crashed in '93 with only 18,042 miles on it and then sat in a warehouse for eight years and bought that too, salvaged everything i needed to fix the toasty one and thats the car in the pic. I could whack a brief history thread up I guess, if anyone is interested. I've done about 30k since it was resurrected.
Parts are difficult but I cope, and it's fairly well modded so what I can't buy I can make. I have standalone management so I can adapt any sensors and engine trickery I want, the brakes are 4-pots with Clio V6 discs and blah blah blah. To be honest the 21 is easy compared to my Clio V6 where everything not shared with a std Clio costs a f**king arm, leg, three bummings and twelve worships to the god of stupid prices, and my Renault 9 Turbo which may as well be made with hens teeth and unicorn b****cks.

Last edited:
Yes, Quadra. Rescued it from a scrap yard in Accrington after an engine bay fire in '98-ish, found another 1991 Quadra in a scrap yard in Wales that had been crashed in '93 with only 18,042 miles on it and then sat in a warehouse for eight years and bought that too, salvaged everything i needed to fix the toasty one and thats the car in the pic. I could whack a brief history thread up I guess, if anyone is interested. I've done about 30k since it was resurrected.
Parts are difficult but I cope, and it's fairly well modded so what I can't buy I can make. I have standalone management so I can adapt any sensors and engine trickery I want, the brakes are 4-pots with Clio V6 discs and blah blah blah. To be honest the 21 is easy compared to my Clio V6 where everything not shared with a std Clio costs a f**king arm, leg, three bummings and twelve worships to the god of stupid prices, and my Renault 9 Turbo which may as well be made with hens teeth and unicorn b****cks.
Awesome :)

A build thread would be cool!

I guess parts are even hard to find in the land of frogs legs and garlic, as they all seem happy to zip about in knackered diesel things until they fall apart on the side of the road. [/stereotyping]

The 9s are cool as well - aren't they similar/related to the 11? I miss my 11 :(

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Awesome :)

A build thread would be cool!

I guess parts are even hard to find in the land of frogs legs and garlic, as they all seem happy to zip about in knackered diesel things until they fall apart on the side of the road. [/stereotyping]

The 9s are cool as well - aren't they similar/related to the 11? I miss my 11 :(
The 21 has a big following in France, think Sierra Cosworth over here. They have an assiciated price tag though so a £3k minter over here is €10k over there. As such parts are priced accordingly and any NOS that comes up is usually hoovered up very quickly. On the plus side there is enough demand to have proper companies reproducing stuff thats run out like track rod ends and shocks. I have done some small volume bespoke parts too like Quadra brake discs and hydraulic clutch kits.

The 9 is basically a Saloon 11, yes. Same car just one has a hatch and one has a boot. The running gear is near-as-dammit a Renault 5 GT Turbo setup with a slightly different AEI unit and gearbox ratio's so thats one saving grace on drivetrain parts as that stuff is still fairly available by comparison.

Cool 80's Turbo graphics for badness.

IMG_3725.JPG

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
We need proper pictures of all these French oddities!

I suspect I should start my own threads this is tuning into a hijack lol

Fresh back from the paint shop this weekend ready for reassembly.

20180714_124653.jpg

The 21 at the 'Ring and in the Swiss Alps, you will have seen it at CSS a couple of years back too, last pic.

DavesCar-7.jpg
20160705_105537.jpg

P8010089 (2).jpg

As it stands now in my freshly built man-cave/garage which was a build thread on its own (Here, good read of how to build a garage the same footprint size as your house on a shoestring :p https://turborenault.co.uk/threads/my-new-garage.16605/)

20180610_180228.jpg

And my 9, bless it's little heart, been off the road since 2005 waiting for resto but still a complete and functional car that will start and drive (just!). I put some new non-rusty doors and wings (hence the missing turbo stripe on those panels) on it about five years ago and thats about it lol

22089525_10155056416605415_1301024944467028536_n.jpg
22154540_10155056416635415_6765456474368316314_n.jpg

I love it :)

If I had a house and a decent size garden and any money, I think I'd also be looking after some old-school French hatches! (even though those are saloons ;) )

EDIT: I am now sad - just checked to see if my old 11 was still on the road but it's not on the MOT checker so must be in the scrapyard in the sky! :(

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
While i haven't had quite as many cars as the OP i do understand what he means. Cars don't tend to last long around me and i do get bored quickly. I was driving my friends supercharged civic type r all day yesterday and even that ended up boring me, however i jumped in my friends MX5 and fell in love all over again. As others have said life is too short so it's good to own a car for 6 months and then change it, however if you do find one you love then just drive it as much as you can and enjoy it.

Oh I’m going to love this thread!!!

But WHY ON EARTH.... have you linked TURBO RENAULT! Here... now I A)have to go and look at their classifieds section.. and B) have to read s**t loads of project threads on turbo stuff.....I’m meant to be going to work soon! Good job I’m my own boss ????

Not to mention getting envious of the man Cave! Without even opening that thread!

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
Not to mention getting envious of the man Cave! Without even opening that thread!
Haha! Yeah it took me 3 years or so to build it, the only thing I didn't do with my own two hands were drive the digger to prep and dig the foundations and lay the breeze blocks (though I did the donkey work labouring for the bricky). I'd never built anything before, and completely winged it stage by stage. I never even did a sketch or plan on paper! I have also had amazing support from mates and my old man too.
It's 12m long, 5m wide, 2.25m high plus roof cavity, the base is 53 tonnes, it has about 700 breeze blocks and 1.5 tonnes of mortar in the walls, 29 roof trusses, 600 or so roof tiles, 30 litres of epoxy floor paint (£450 worth!) and I have power, light, compressed air, heat and most importantly a kettle because everyone should have a kettle in the garage :) The internal ceiling boards, workbench and worktop, cupboards, shelving/racking, floor mats were all salvaged from being binned for free, the wheel racks were made from leftover scrap metal, the lights were reclaimed from an office refurb for £30.
It's cost me less than ten grand money wise from the wasteland it started as, plus a fair bit of labour exchange... the guys that helped me out the most own 21 Turbo's and that's my 'thing' :)

Point is, you can do it, you just have to find a way to do it :)

As said in the other posts here, taking cars off the road to do work on them isn't always good, and something I certainly regret.

I started a restore on my 5 GT Turbo back in 2011, and it's looking sorry for itself these days!

Then there's my 172 Cup, which I pulled off the road late last year, which is sat still and starting to feel a little in the way :(

Sad thing is, the cheap daily runaround cars I've been buying have been more enjoyable because you don't have to look after them, or even lock them for that matter :)

Last edited: