ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car's popping out of 5th...

Saxo VTS
Gah, gaybar.

Ok so fit my de-cat and panel filter and woohoo, exhaust doesn't knock anymore and PAS seems strangely quiet, great. Perfection.

So I take the car for a blast up the dual carriageway, upto illegal speeds, so slowed down.

Going along at 80 in 5th, then car lurches and it pops out of 5th gear :/

Put it bac k in 5th and start to accelerate and it does it again.

It keeps popping out of 5th gear if you go over 60ishMph

The gearbox was rebuilt less than a year ago and while I was fitting the de-cat I noticed that a mount or mounts have deffo gone and the engine rocks about like a b**ch.

So is this ( the gearbox problem) because of the mountings needing replacing or something internal?.

Car is a Mk1 16v btw.

Cheers.

1996 Valver
Replace the 'dog-bone' g-box mount, (£35ish)

This is the one that is likely to give you probs with popping out of gear, A easy way to test is by accelerating quite hard in 2nd and then quickly coming off the gas, the car will lurch, if the prob is with the mount the gear will pop out.

This is quite an easy fix-just two bolts!!!

A well built VW
My goona did this and the first course of action was the mount , it didnt fix mine so it was a case of replacing the gearbox , sold it tho...

sold
I had this on my Mk1 172. The previous owner had the gearbox looked at by a dodgy garage and something hadn't been done up tightly enough again. The thing had drained of oil and cooked. I had to spend out on a recondition. When I looked properly though, you could the oil sprayed on the underside of the car. It's worth having a peek underneath