ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat C write off - VIC Check? Help!

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
It wouldn't come back clear if its not had a VIC? Why she been stopped ao
Many times in such a shortspace of time?

She has a tracker fitted to lower insurance so she can't speed so gets stopped a lot cos shes always slow on empty roads lol

alfa 145/Clio 197cup
Do you have the V5? (log book)

It would have the date on it when it was vic tested and put back on the road, if not and the dealer managed to tax it for you then it must have been written off between you buying it and it getting taxed and the time you've had the letter.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
no we got the green slip from the dealer, sent it off to the dvla who said it could not issue a v5 until a vic check had been completed.... shall wait and c what dan digs up.... either way Harris of Wakefield will be getting a visit.

Ph1 ITB'd 172
Interesting indeed.

As I understand it when a car going to be written off as a Cat C you have to surrender your tax (for a refund) and the log book and MOT become 'invalid'

From here the insurance company will give the car to a salvage management company of some sort who will sell the car on for them.

Next someone comes along and buys the car, upon purchase you get no log book, no tax and no MOT. The car will then be repaired, you can drive the car to an MOT station then and get it MOT'd (it must have an MOT for the VIC) Once MOT'd you call up the place that does the VIC - can't remember what its called - and they will tell you if it needs one. Not all Cat C's need VIC's its just a sample (every 1 in X)

You will then have to apply for a VIC (Vehical Identity Check) - a common misconseption with this is that it checks the repair quality it DOES NOT it is simply to check that stolen parts were not used to repair the car. From here you will be issued with a new log book (stamped with CAT C in the notes section on the front page - See photo below)

At this point you can then Tax the car.

Photo of Log Book
IMG_0217.gif

And Dan, I guess you haven't heard from your man at Trading Standards yet?

alfa 145/Clio 197cup
Check the date on your tax disc, it'll tell you if they did tax it that day or if it's from 6 months earlier it came with the car.

It sounds like they've done wrong and if you approach them right will/should be very helpfull, they'll not want to have done anything wrong/illegal

Clio 172 Cup
It could also be a mistake with the DVLA records, come across that plenty of times during my trading days!! Hope you get it sorted one way or another mate..........

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
The car deffo had no tax when we came to view it. They put on a fresh 6 months the day we bought it. We even had to wait while he went to the post office to do it ha ha

alfa 145/Clio 197cup
So it's been written off since you bought it.

Was it damaged/dented when you bought it? freshly painted?

Clio 172 Cup
The car deffo had no tax when we came to view it. They put on a fresh 6 months the day we bought it. We even had to wait while he went to the post office to do it ha ha
DVLA can take some time before updating their register so it is possible it was taxed before the register was updated, it is also possible they have made a msiatke about the requirement of a VIC check, they have made many mistakes in the past!!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
this is my point.. cars do get through! I had the V5, it was taxed and MOTd ... only HPI showed it as a cat B

182 FF
Cat B's can't be put back on the road. breakers only.
A mate of my dads has been repairing accident damaged cars for the last Thirty years but only buys them directly from the insurance company. I know of two cat b cars he has managed to get reclassified to cat d's due to minimal damage and getting the insurance assessor to get it changed on the DVLA system.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Well tried calling the dealer and they won't pick up the phone. Sent 4 emails and had no reply at all. Can't go over and confront them cos no car lol. Joy of joys!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not being funny but if you hadn't driven the car when you weren't supposed to (being illegal without the vic test), and actually taken it back to the dealer like everyone in here has suggested, you wouldn't really have this problem would you?

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
We tried taking it back to the dealer 2 weeks after we bought the fucker cause of all it's faults. It only transpired about the vic just after new year. The dealer is devoid of any care or morality and had no interest in resolving the issue. It's gone way beyond being an easily resolved amicable situation thing. And as I keep saying in the eyes of the dvla the car is taxed, insured and mot'd. When we have jobs to go to and rely on the car for it then driving it is the only option! Now she has no way of getting to work cos robbing w*****s sold her a fucked car! And as you will see from my other thread.... Kitt isn't exactly roadworthy at the moment ha ha

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
That's what I have said to em and they ain't having any of it. It's desp a case for trading standards I think.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right, i've got the work computer.

HPI coming up (pm me your email addy and i'll send you the certificate)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
6 owners (!!)

Declared written off 25th August 2011.

Category C Insurance loss.

There is a list of when it was HPI'd.... Interesting as somebody HPI'd it 2 days ago. (9th jan 2012)

I'll pm you the certificate as I don't know how to post it up on here.

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
Sorry for lack of updates. Keeping schtum till trading standards get back to me. Will update when all resolved.