ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CAT CAM 421.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Will they run with standard pistons? i.e no clashing lol

I have OMEX so i can make them run.

TVR Cerbera
Found out that they will JUST fit

but i need uprated springs

If you look at the catcams catalogue, it says standard parts for the 421 cams.

As for clearance i have 422's, which have similar lift and high comp pistons, and had no clearance issues

I hope your not upgrading from 428's, because you won't see much difference. If you are and haven't bought them yet, then get 422's, they are meant to be the best without going to solid lifters

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yeah im looking to upgrade from 428.

(costing me £50 to swap and upgrade, as there second hand)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ive called CAT cams and they said that OEM springs will work unless im revving to past 8500rpm.

I'm not fitting high comp pistons anymore (want to keep costs down) So these with the headwork im having should give it some extra poke!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
what you think?

worth it or not lol?

I.e ben if it was you and you had the choice (of only 421) would you do it, or stick with 428

Are you daft?
I just said going wilder is waste of time......so you want the next cam wilder than 421's!!?

"hi doctor, i'm dying....what shall I do?"
"stop smoking cigarettes"
"ok...thanks...........mmmmmmmmmm......cabanas!"

TVR Cerbera
Are you daft?
I just said going wilder is waste of time......so you want the next cam wilder than 421's!!?

"hi doctor, i'm dying....what shall I do?"
"stop smoking cigarettes"
"ok...thanks...........mmmmmmmmmm......cabanas!"

I have to disagree, Ben. I run itbs, pistons, 422's, head work and 240 bhp 180 ftlbs. and it pulls from 2000rpm

He has a stock engine and some nasty head, it just wont work nice.

Its all about application, there is zero point for him to do so on an RPM and efficiency limited engine. Best thing to do is concentrate on torque between 3-6.5k,

TVR Cerbera
He has a stock engine and some nasty head, it just wont work nice.

Its all about application, there is zero point for him to do so on an RPM and efficiency limited engine. Best thing to do is concentrate on torque between 3-6.5k,

Thought it was itb'd?

I make standard torque at 3000 rpm and at least 20 ftlbs over standard at a standard engine's peak torque and then go on to make 10 more 1000 rpm later.

I know you know your stuff, was trying to be informative :)

I know, no worries.

But I'm just talking about overall as you cannot compare to a stock engine as like for like. What you are trying to achieve is as effective a torque curve with as much area under the curve in the 90% use rpm range. There is no point him going for more cam if he is going to loose more than he gains.

An example, on a customers engine (not built by us) he went from 428's to 421's, gained 2bhp peak and lost everywhere else sub 6500rpm bigtime........although it held ontop peak for 500rpm more or so.

TVR Cerbera
I agree going from 428's to anything else is a bit of a waste unless the rest of the engine is as tuned to the same standard eg breathing, internally and externally

Clio Sport 172 ph1
I know, no worries.

But I'm just talking about overall as you cannot compare to a stock engine as like for like. What you are trying to achieve is as effective a torque curve with as much area under the curve in the 90% use rpm range. There is no point him going for more cam if he is going to loose more than he gains.

An example, on a customers engine (not built by us) he went from 428's to 421's, gained 2bhp peak and lost everywhere else sub 6500rpm bigtime........although it held ontop peak for 500rpm more or so.

Ben check my graphs, I'm pretty happy with my 421

This one is stock engine (just decat and air filter)
9e3aa288970417b1m.jpg

421 CatCams fully working on stock ECU with added RS inlet mani, and the car works fine for 6 months now, engine idle at 1200rpm as you foreseen but the rest is not so bad, I'm used to it by now
df3d08837856210bm.jpg

Not that bad below 6000rpm
I konw i'ts not perfect, only 10HP gain, but given the fact that it was all done remotely by Henk form fastchip I say is quite an achievement.

Lionel Richie
nothing nothing nothing nothing, POWER, change gear, nothing nothing nothing POWER

thats what i found with them! LOL

Clio Sport 172 ph1
nothing nothing nothing nothing, POWER, change gear, nothing nothing nothing POWER

thats what i found with them! LOL

Yes, that is exactly right. Nothing happens under 4000rpm just like it was old days. So are You seriously trying to tel me that this is so bad compared to the stock cams ?

Lionel Richie
no i just found the car weird to drive with them, it gets to 6500rpm approx from memory, goes mad for 1000rpm and then you have to change up

RS RIP
Ben check my graphs, I'm pretty happy with my 421

This one is stock engine (just decat and air filter)
9e3aa288970417b1m.jpg

421 CatCams fully working on stock ECU with added RS inlet mani, and the car works fine for 6 months now, engine idle at 1200rpm as you foreseen but the rest is not so bad, I'm used to it by now
df3d08837856210bm.jpg

Not that bad below 6000rpm
I konw i'ts not perfect, only 10HP gain, but given the fact that it was all done remotely by Henk form fastchip I say is quite an achievement.

Looks pretty damn good to me :approve: good torque, nice power

Clio Sport 172 ph1
no i just found the car weird to drive with them, it gets to 6500rpm approx from memory, goes mad for 1000rpm and then you have to change up

I see what You mean.
I personally kind of like it (a little taste of turbo in N/A car ;) ) but I got to admit, power output at low rpm is suprisingly good (I was told it will be totally lost, but the car goes like it uset to)
As I said before my project is not done yet
Few adjustements to the inlet and exhaust are still to be made, than it's time for the final remap
but by looking at comparision of those 2 previous graphs it's going in the right direction.
d87edb4015de6b89m.jpg

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Dear all I have a Clio 172 cup and it’s all standard but exhaust remap and filter runnings 183BHP,So ECU is OEM if I put a pair of 421 Cat Cams will they need other parts and will they work on standard engine. Many thanks for your information

dan's cast offs.
Dear all I have a Clio 172 cup and it’s all standard but exhaust remap and filter runnings 183BHP,So ECU is OEM if I put a pair of 421 Cat Cams will they need other parts and will they work on standard engine. Many thanks for your information

fine on stock engine.