ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat D stolen and recovered

Trader Rating - 83.3%
10   2   0
  Honda & VW
What does this mean in terms of insurance? Can I assume it would have been written off once nicked then it was recovered so someone bought it off the insurers?
It's a new one on me and I'm interested to know a bit more about it and anything that should have been done etc? What should I look out for and expect if I were to buy a car of this nature?

Anyone had any experience of this type of cat d?

Dan

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Yozza'd Blue Bus
Cat D iirc is quite alot of damage :S I saw one before it was fixed that was a cat D and it was fair to say it was foooked :S

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Cat d is the lowest catagory there is

D is normaly Superficial damage
C is more than the cars value to repair
B is parts only
A sutable for crusher only

Trader Rating - 83.3%
10   2   0
  Honda & VW
Sorry should have said, I fully appreciate and understand the level of damage normally warranting the category D however I am clueless when the same category is used for stolen
And recovered?

Dan

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Yozza'd Blue Bus
What goes into the superficial box? I saw a 172 with near enough the front end squashed against the front window

Dan

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Yozza'd Blue Bus
Sorry should have said, I fully appreciate and understand the level of damage normally warranting the category D however I am clueless when the same category is used for stolen
And recovered?

im guessing forced access with broken components without an actuall big crash if it falls into the superficial category

Dan

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Yozza'd Blue Bus
Try finding the owners name and number on the V5 and ask what state it was??

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stolen recovered just means the owner didn't crash it, the thieves did.

Don't think it was just 1 window and a couple of locks, it could have been a lot lot worse. You'll never know unles they are honest with you.

Trader Rating - 83.3%
10   2   0
  Honda & VW
Ye they must be fairly bad because they wouldn't be recorded if they didn't cost quite a lot to fix :S

Are u lookin to buy 1??

Possibly, it's cheap due to the cat d thing I wasn't sure whether I should
Get some kind of report to show and/or list the extent of the damage

Trader Rating - 100%
10   0   0
  Ph1 ITB'd 172
all the Cat D 'stolen and recovered' ones ive ever seen is just a lie, they are always accident damaged repairs.

I agree. Every 'stolen recovered' car I have seen has been accident damaged.

The category is nothing to do with the level of damage. It is determine from the COST of the repair against the VALUE of the car.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  RB 182 FF
from the research i have done i believe cat d's tend not to have structural damage, some quite honestly can have just had a minor bump with air bag deployment and with the cost of replacing airbags etc insurance comps just dont wanna know.... on the otherhand like others have said it can be quite substantial... and from what one dealer told me you dont get a certificate or paperwork to confirm the damage, which i found hard to believe and if its true, defintaly put me off ever looking at one in future as you just dont knmow what u getting..

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Arent there issues with the stolen recovered's getting hassled from the police as the veichle has a black mark on it?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Clio 182 arctic
can it not mean that the owner claimed it was stolen so got paid out on the value....... but sometime later it was found. but had already been payed out by insurers so stands at a loss (cat d). even without damage

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
can it not mean that the owner claimed it was stolen so got paid out on the value....... but sometime later it was found. but had already been payed out by insurers so stands at a loss (cat d). even without damage
Sometimes.

It's a risk you take mate.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  racing blue 182
my mate got a leon cupra r on a cat d stolen recovered

it only had wheels missing,locks done and was keyed down one side

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  racing blue 182
my mate got a leon cupra r on a cat d stolen recovered

it only had wheels missing,locks done and was keyed down one side

Trader Rating - 83.3%
10   2   0
  Honda & VW
Personally i think its one of those things, if its cheap enough to take the risk of not knowing exactly what happened to it then its no problem.
I'm sure the story for 'why its cat D' will change from owner to owner, bit of chinese whispers

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  182 FF
htc5232.jpg
htc5233.jpg
htc5238.jpg
htc5248.jpg
This was a cat d, no suspension, chassis or airbag damage. It was fixed with a new slam panel, two headlights, bonnet and a bumper. Please excuse the crap phone pitures it was foggy aswell!

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 100%
8   0   0
  S'trollin on size 7s
my old 106 was written off as a CAT D or C, cant remember which. but basically it was taken by my insurance and i bought it back but had to get it fixed up to a compulsory standard, and had to get it put through a VIC test at a VOSA inspection station to say it was perfectly safe and road legit again. piece of paper said so, lol so if its one thats been fixed up already then ask to see proof of the VIC test!?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  2004 182FF
My Clio 1.2 was written off as Cat D Stolen and Recovered.

It had minor front right wing damage and a cracked front bumper. That was it. Looked like someone had rolled it into a wall at 5mph.

Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
  AGH the sl*g
my old 106 was written off as a CAT D or C, cant remember which. but basically it was taken by my insurance and i bought it back but had to get it fixed up to a compulsory standard, and had to get it put through a VIC test at a VOSA inspection station to say it was perfectly safe and road legit again. piece of paper said so, lol so if its one thats been fixed up already then ask to see proof of the VIC test!?

That was a cat c then mate, if you purchase a cat d car you can just simply re-apply for the log book but a cat c car has to go for a VIC test at your local vosa station, although many believe they inspect the repairs but they dont all they simply do is confirm that the car you have taken is the correct car with correct vin numbers and so on so its not been ringed or cut n shut.

Also the category of the car is down to the inspector every one varies ive bought cat d's that had suspension damage and a complete front end rebuild req'd and last week i bought a saab cat c with a scratch down passenger doors and rear arch and i mean a scuff. i buy several every week and the damage varies sooo much

Trader Rating - 100%
28   0   0
  www.renparts.co.uk
All a VIC check is, is a vehicle identity check, just confirms the vehicle is the vehicle it claims to be, as the repairs are a high value in relation to the cars value, so would be easier to swap the chassis numbers on to a stolen vehicle. It was introduced to reduce stolen cars having their chassis numbers changed. they don't inspect the standard of repairs in any way.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Flamer 172
Iv bought a few damage repairables including 2 clio sports. All have been Cat D's but i always avoid stolen ones as you dont know how much the engine has been thrashed while they've had it. But Cat D's do vary depending on the assessors. My first clio needed a front bumper and a rear bumper. The second one wanted a wing, door, side skirt, bottom arm, sill straightening, front shocker and a wheel. Once it was on the road it then wanted a rear axle as it was slightly bent. They were both Cat D's!

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
What does this mean in terms of insurance? Can I assume it would have been written off once nicked then it was recovered so someone bought it off the insurers?
It's a new one on me and I'm interested to know a bit more about it and anything that should have been done etc? What should I look out for and expect if I were to buy a car of this nature?

Anyone had any experience of this type of cat d?

stolen recovered means cars had the living daylights thrashed out of it, one of the worst to go for if ur considering salvage go for backend or side smash