ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat or Decat

corsa c exclusiv
whats better to have? i have a 1.2 ph3, complete system has gone at the moment, have been offered a decat at a good price, whats the main difference between a decat and catalytic converter? whats better? thanks, Andrew.

A Catalitic converter is designed to reduce your cars emmisiosn however its a restriction as its like gauze in your exhaust so to get more power and a bit more noise (gains arn't ghuge though) people remove the cat and put either a less restrictive cat in known a a sports can oftenw hich has less mesh hence less restrction or a full decat often a bit of metal pipe to fit where the cat used to.

corsa c exclusiv
so what would you advise? cat or decat? would a cat back exhaust system them just fit onto the decat? thanks, Andrew.

so what would you advise? cat or decat? would a cat back exhaust system them just fit onto the decat? thanks, Andrew.
Well you already have a cat and personally I don't liek chnaing bits which already work ok plus remove it and you might have trouble at MOT time as the emmisions might be to high since the CAT is ther to reduce emmisions it can happen some car do and some don't have a problem.

CAT back yep bolts up to the normal cat.

corsa c exclusiv
okay cheerz matey :D think al just stick to the cat, don't want it to fail the MOT, thats the last thing i want right now lol.

Always keep the cat. K-tec did some testing on one of their cars witha a decat amd after a while it started running on 2 cylinders to reduce emissions. it isnt worth having a decat, and plus will make your car very loud and uncomfortable on long journeys

Always keep the cat. K-tec did some testing on one of their cars witha a decat amd after a while it started running on 2 cylinders to reduce emissions. it isnt worth having a decat, and plus will make your car very loud and uncomfortable on long journeys
It doesn't make it that much lounder.

Ktec cars mush have had somehtign wrong with it coils failed most likly the Clio ECU doesn't do anyhting realy to rey to reduce emmsions by shutting down cylinders.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Had a decat on my 182, if you're not worried by the legal issues, go for it. Felt a noticeable difference in mid range and throttle response, but not sure if that would be the same on a smaller engine.

None
Get a de-cat its worth it and only costs around 20 quid for your local garage to swap it back to your cat come mot time :)

cup 182 mit stripes
That technical guy on Renaultsport said ''the de-cat could put the injection in a downgrade mode'' Hope that's not true as I'm fitting one soon.

That technical guy on Renaultsport said ''the de-cat could put the injection in a downgrade mode'' Hope that's not true as I'm fitting one soon.

It can throw warning lights on the 182 as at the moment there no fix for it on the 172 discinnect the second sensor and its fine.

cup 182 mit stripes
Not too bothered about a light on the dash.
''injection in a downgrade mode'' that mean the fueling could be leaned out by the ecu? A lot of folks on here have them fitted with no probs. So maybe he's havering.