ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'Catalytic Converter Malfunction' error code

Megane Coupe VVT
Hi,

I have had rough idle recently and problems on start up.

Changed my coilpack and spark plugs to NGK ones that were £11 for 4. :S and it made no difference to either of the above problems

But at the weekend the Engine management light came on, So went to Kwik Fit and they put it on the Bosch computer and it came back with 'Catalytic Converter malfunction'. The cat is around 8 months old after the last one broke up due to coil pack letting fuel in. They want to fit a new cat for me today, What shall i do?

So whats the isssue now?

I appreciate that its hard to diagnose over the internet.

Thanks for any help as iv not got £670 for the cat :dapprove:

330i. E30 Touring.
Firstly, get your car away from Kwik fit. Those f*****s will mug their own granny off, let alone someone they don't even know..

Is this on the Megane?

Megane Coupe VVT
Yeah, its the Megane.

Its with them just now, I had to leave it there so i could get to work and iv to collect it at 6.

Megane Coupe VVT
Just picked it up, Its booked in for Saturday apparently. They wanted me to give them a £50 deposit to 'keep my slot' lol Chancers. They also asked for my mobile number incase of change of plan but i gave them a fake number.

Im at a loss what to do, Is it possible to get a cheaper cat or is that how much these pipes go for?

Ph 1 172
Get a decat pipe for the time being and source a cheap cat locally, or find a friendly mot tester so no need for a cat

2004 182FF
"I have had rough idle recently and problems on start up."

Makes me think upstream lambda.

" 'Catalytic Converter malfunction'"

Makes me think downstream lambda giving, rightly or wrongly, an out of range emissions reading.

Could the over fueling caused by a faulty upstream lambda make the downstream one think there's something wrong with the cat?

Hello there,

I have a nearly new cat with the lambda scensor if your interested i'l sell it for 170 delivered let me know dude.

look forward to your reply

Ren Rich:approve:

Megane Coupe 2.0 16v VVT
"I have had rough idle recently and problems on start up."

Makes me think upstream lambda.

" 'Catalytic Converter malfunction'"

Makes me think downstream lambda giving, rightly or wrongly, an out of range emissions reading.

Could the over fueling caused by a faulty upstream lambda make the downstream one think there's something wrong with the cat?

Yep, That's what I was thinking!

inferno 182cup
Hi,

I have had rough idle recently and problems on start up.

Changed my coilpack and spark plugs to NGK ones that were £11 for 4. :S and it made no difference to either of the above problems

But at the weekend the Engine management light came on, So went to Kwik Fit and they put it on the Bosch computer and it came back with 'Catalytic Converter malfunction'. The cat is around 8 months old after the last one broke up due to coil pack letting fuel in. They want to fit a new cat for me today, What shall i do?

So whats the isssue now?

I appreciate that its hard to diagnose over the internet.

Thanks for any help as iv not got £670 for the cat :dapprove:

the cats 8 month old........ isnt it under warrenty.
also is it a cheep an nasty one ie.... fuel parts,
obviously thats if they r tellin the trouth ''its cat'' an not some thin simple's like o2 sensor or vacume pipe leak