ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Category D cars - Your thoughts!

Ph1 ITB'd 172
i'd own a cat c/d car.. but i wouldnt buy one as you dont know how well it was repaired etc. waayyy too dodgy.

How can you own one with out buying one? :S

or are we talking in the hyperthical situation that someone was giving them out for free? I'm sure most things worth anywhere near £5000 you would happily own if they were being given out free?

How can you own one with out buying one? :S

or are we talking in the hyperthical situation that someone was giving them out for free? I'm sure most things worth anywhere near £5000 you would happily own if they were being given out free?

I'm guessing his own written off and repaired himself?

Italian 3.2 V6
yes u can ;)

if you owned the car before it was cat d/c and you broke it. as i personally wouldnt trust anyone anyone else getting the work done to fix it. there's some right bodge jobs out there!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
  BMW F21 125d
See i'd never consider buying a known Cat C/D car, you just dont know the quality of repairs, and as you rightly say you'll never really know if a car has been repaired well in the past and not been but through insurance, thats the risk of used car buying.

My previous car was hit side on by a female in a BMW 4x4. I've seen cars written off for less damage but since the value of my car was high and it was only a year and a bit old they actually repaired the vehicle!

Once it was fixed you couldn't tell unless you really looked for it, no one that came to see it could tell and it sold for the going rate.... needless to say...I got shot of it as I wasn't happy driving about in a car that has had that much work done to it!

But this is 100% factual. Had Adams car been 12/18 months older, i'd likely have been written off, and for me, that puts the whole cat C/D in a different light.

Mondeo TDCI 130
I have 2 x cat c vehicles! Doesn't bother me. My dad's van was bought a cat c, was 1k cheaper than the rest at the time!! and my 106 run around is a cat C, to be fair, hitting a wasp would write that off, so older cat vehicles generally have little damage!

Does that make sense!?!? if i got a 106D P reg at the min all ok, a very minor insurance claim bump would write it off? where as it would need a major whack to write my 200 off due to the value?

Glad people weren't after an argument or were going to dick me and try and prove me wrong... Might sound a bit forward now but the only time a car is going to loose money Been cat c or d is when you go to them f*cking car supermarket w*nkers as I found out with a cat D passat which was apparently "written off" and only worth 500 quid. If it was written off then there was no way in hell it could be repaired as it would of been a cat B.

There is a stigma attached but half the time you'll never even know and think it's a really clean car (if it's a cat d unrecorded)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Glad people weren't after an argument or were going to dick me and try and prove me wrong... Might sound a bit forward now but the only time a car is going to loose money Been cat c or d is when you go to them f*cking car supermarket w*nkers as I found out with a cat D passat which was apparently "written off" and only worth 500 quid. If it was written off then there was no way in hell it could be repaired as it would of been a cat B.

There is a stigma attached but half the time you'll never even know and think it's a really clean car (if it's a cat d unrecorded)

But if its Cat D, it is recorded?? :S

I don't understand what you're trying to say with this.

And how can you say you won't lose money?? Search on Pistonheads. Theres loads of cars cheap. At the bottom of the advert, ''Unfortunately the car is on V Car hence cheap price...''

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm out.

There are some seriously ill informed people in this thread!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Aw shut up baldy it clearly wasn't aimed at you!

:eek:

Maybe a 172 Cup..
http://insurancewriteoff.co.uk/

Really didn't want to get into this but hopefully above may clarify a few issues regarding insurance write-off categories, if anyone needs it..

I don't claim to be any sort of expert but my view is If I hpi a car, and it comes back as a Cat-d, it has been written off as far as I'm concerned. As Budgie said previous and as guide says price of parts:eek: and other factors such as hire car costs may play a part.

Personally as others have said I would buy a Cat d or C but would do as much homework as poss. Hpi, full inspection, try and speak to previous owner if applicable , see if any photo's etc. If car is private and been sold by owner who had accident I would be more suspicious that they were hiding something if there were no pics tbh.

Re-sale isn't an issue imo as long as people are realistic. Getting a car for say £2K under market value, then trying to sell it for £500 under market, or thinking with some modifications it changes cars history, you're gonna struggle to sell on.

I'm considering a 172 Cup that will be on register. Will do as much digging and checks as possible, but at the end of the day, car will be toy and do about 6k a year. If I come to sell after couple of years will get a tin of tuna steaks and a 1/4 of Chocolate limes, so will be running into ground........;)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
yes i too don't know what people are talking about when they say 'cat D unrecorded'

it cannot be! it's either a recorded total loss or it's not! there are ways to get around your vehicle being recorded on any salvage category, but that's a story for another day ;) and if this is the case, the words 'cat D' do not need to be mentioned at all

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Aw shut up baldy it clearly wasn't aimed at you!

How do I know that?? I know very little about insurance. I could have been completely wrong.

As it is though, as per usual, I am right. Again.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
How do I know that?? I know very little about insurance. I could have been completely wrong.

As it is though, as per usual, I am right. Again.

:lolup: And not smug at all with it Daniel...;)

I read before I posted and I think we know it wasn't aimed at you..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
FLOL!! Genuinely I didn't know if it was aimed at me or not. True Story.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was just winding you up big guy, you're going to give yourself a heart attack before she's even got time to murder you.

Renault Clio V6 255
A 'write off' is a colloquial term for a vehicle which has been declared a total loss by an insurer, either following accident damage or theft. There are some 450,000 accident-related write-offs every year and another 150,000 insurance thefts, many of which are subsequently recovered damaged and re-classified. Many write-offs are legitimately allowed back on the roads following a repair; the safest ones to buy are those which have passed an independent vehicle inspection, such as those on HPI's Condition Inspected register. However, almost half of all write-offs are so badly damaged that qualified insurance inspectors determine that they should never go back on the road. To assist the industry and the used car buyer, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has since 1997 provided the following classification of damage to vehicles that have been deemed an insurance write-off:

o Category A:

Scrap only - this vehicle should be crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

o Category B:

The bodyshell should be crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

o Category C:

Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. May be repaired and put back on the road. Has to pass an inspection costing £36 (2007 price) to be re-registered as damaged repaired.

o Category D:

Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired.

Think of Cat D like this example:

A Clio V6 is worth £13,000, but sustains some minor cosmetic damage.

The damage will cost £7,500 for an (inflated price) insurance repair that includes the cost of a courtesy car for the owner while the repair takes place.

But the insurer can sell the car off as it is for £6,000.

So the insurer 'writes it off' as a Cat D, saving itself £500, even though the car may be perfectly drivable and suffers only cosmetic damage.
o Category F:

Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair. When fixed can be re-registered as damaged repaired.

From the The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
London E14 9SR

please see below

14. vehicles previously "written-off" and then repaired
Most buyers are (rightly or wrongly) put off by the knowledge that a vehicle was previously "written-off", no matter how well it was later repaired – and this can affect its value.

If the policyholder knew the vehicle was a repaired write-off, he/she is likely to have paid less for it. So we are likely to decide that it is not unfair for the insurer to make an appropriate deduction – not more than 20%, unless the insurer can provide good independent evidence for a higher deduction.

But if we are satisfied that the policyholder innocently bought (and insured) the vehicle in complete ignorance of its history, and the repairs were not obviously noticeable, he/she is likely to have paid full price (and a full insurance premium) for it. So we are likely to decide that it would be unfair for the insurer to pay less than the full market value.

So thats it Cat D or C repaired cars are only worth 20% less !!!!! if you have an insurance pay out.

My car as brought

v6side.jpg

My car now

allmostthere.jpg