ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CCTV camera

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to buy a cctv camera tonight to put on the garage to view the front of the house/driveway.

Ive had a look into what one I want but what im struggling with is how to connect it up to a normal tv.
I'm not having it record yet, just to playback through a tv.

What cable do I need to do this, as the camera doesn't come with one to connect it up to the tv, only a 12v power cable.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Link to the camera?

I have a cheap one from eBuyer - currently being used as a baby monitor. It's wifi, and have an app on my iPhone, iPad and on the PC so I can view and remotely control/move it. It was £35.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
You'll need a BNC cable converter (BNC to RCA?), and some form of power supply I would think. it's intended for use with a DVR really.

Last edited:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
You shouldn't need the first one, it comes with an 18m bnc cable. It's just the power supply I'm not sure on. I can't seem to find a definitive answer what it is actually supplied with.

Does your local Currys have it in stock?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
It says it comes with a 12v power supply but not a bnc when I phoned them.
Jesus, how complicated can it be lol.
Do these things see in pitch black or do they need low light?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Probably best just to go and look what's in the box. Personally I think it'll have an 18m siamese cable but no power supply.

It'll see in the dark, that's what the IR LED's are for. It'll be black & white, and fairly short range (8m it says, so probably not as far as that in real life). It's really not going to be much use without some form of DVR though, unless you are goign to sit and watch it 24/7?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I will get a dvr setup soon for when it goes out the front of the house.
For the minute, im putting it in the loft as there is some nesting going on in there so I want to see wtf it is. Hence, when I hear them I can switch the tv on and see what they are up to.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I will get a dvr setup soon for when it goes out the front of the house.
For the minute, im putting it in the loft as there is some nesting going on in there so I want to see wtf it is. Hence, when I hear them I can switch the tv on and see what they are up to.

Ahh, makes sense now. I was thinking you wanted it for security.

Anyway, it's perfectly do-able. You just need to be sure what's in the box before picking up any other items. Is 18m going ot be enough cable? Is the plan to run it externally?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Sorted it @Chrisgti6 :)

WP_20150916_19_46_52_Pro.jpg

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I got the one I linked you to first.
They told me they hadn't got one in stock when I got there. After I left and got home, they phoned me to say they had found one.
You were right, it came with an 18m BNC cable so I had to buy a 12v power supply (£7.99) and a BNC to PHONO converter (£3.50)
So for ~£50 I got it rigged up.

I will get a DVR when I put it up outside so I can record but for now it does the job with the live feed.