ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Centering EPAS rack ?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
So my steering rack insnt central, ive pit the oem wheel on and wenrt to get tracking and wheel is on the piss. They reckon passenger track rod is too long as they have run of thread for adjustment.

Do i need to disconnect the rack from inside the engine bat to try get it central ?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hi,
I'll write what I usually do:
Check to have steering arms setup in a symmetrical way.
Disconnect steering rack from epas shaft.
I get steering wheel centered.
I get wheels somehow centered.
I then try to get epas joint connect to the rack moving the rack as little I can.
Then I proceed to set steering arms to have wanted geometry.

Doing this make things super easy because epas shaft can mate the rack only every 180 degrees so its easy to find correct position.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Hi,
I'll write what I usually do:
Check to have steering arms setup in a symmetrical way.
Disconnect steering rack from epas shaft.
I get steering wheel centered.
I get wheels somehow centered.
I then try to get epas joint connect to the rack moving the rack as little I can.
Then I proceed to set steering arms to have wanted geometry.

Doing this make things super easy because epas shaft can mate the rack only every 180 degrees so its easy to find correct position.
Is the nut just loosen between rack and shaft or does bolt go through shaft ?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
On mine I have epas shaft and also non sport steering rack and I have the end of epas shaft.. like U shaped with a bolt on one side squeezing it on the steering rack pinion shaft.
So to unmate them and fully disconnect one from the other.. you need to undo the bolt, remove it and turn the U shaped part away from the steering rack pinion shaft.
If you only loose the bolt they continue to be engaged.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
On mine I have epas shaft and also non sport steering rack and I have the end of epas shaft.. like U shaped with a bolt on one side squeezing it on the steering rack pinion shaft.
So to unmate them and fully disconnect one from the other.. you need to undo the bolt, remove it and turn the U shaped part away from the steering rack pinion shaft.
If you only loose the bolt they continue to be engaged.
Sorted buddy i loosened it off from above and rotated 180 and put it back on. Going to adjust the trackrod ends now

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Take gaiters off rack, set both sides equal.

See where wheel is, remove lower joint spline from column (column will need to be un bolted to remove this), clock wheel, bolt back up.

s-l1600.jpg

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Take gaiters off rack, set both sides equal.

See where wheel is, remove lower joint spline from column (column will need to be un bolted to remove this), clock wheel, bolt back up.

View attachment 1615240
That's a good suggestion too, but imho if the splined joint has never been moved.. ii Think disconnecting the joint at the rack is easier and quicker to do. Because of the shape allowing only 180degrees turns of joint it make things easier to set. But anyway.. both ways are good to use