ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing 1.2 for 172

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

Hey all,

I recently got a new job which is much closer to home so only a 10 min blat down the motorway instead of a 70 mile round trip in traffic every day. With a nice pay increase as well This means I can now afford to run the car ive been dreaming about for quite some time - the 172

So who has changed their car like this? I am on Renault Finance on my 02 Extreme 1.2 and will have had the car 2 years in May and currently done 20k miles. Think I will go and see my dealer soon to talk about changing and how much difference it will cost me a month. (Has anyone bought private and how would you deal with the finance in that case?). I paid around 2.5k initially on my clio and about £100 a month since I collected it.

Im also seriously tempted by a Honda Civic and there is a honda dealer next to where my new job is... an omen perhaps. But im not sure how to deal with the Renault finance if I change. But I will pop in for a coffee one day im sure :) to see what they can offer me.

I dont think I can be tempted into buying brand new again unless it offers me a serious advantage or I find a deal i cannot turn down - so am looking for anything up to a year old and a max of 10k on the clock.

I went from a 1.4 clio to a 172. Definitely worth it if you like the Clio youve got. Remember that places like Trade Sales have some very cheap, brand new 172 imports in.

When I got my MK2 172 I paid about 2.5k deposit and then it was about £190/month for finance payments.

As you mentioned Honda....you should try a Civic Type R and a 172 before buying. I drove the CTR after I bought my mk1 172, and now I wish Id got a CTR instead. But they are more expensive.

Sell your 1.2 privite as you will get more money for it. Pay off your finance so you pay less interest, get a loan at a lower APR for the difference on a 172.

Save yourself a whole lotter cash which can go towards the insurance!

Ok assuming you sell your car in March you have about £1200 extra finance outstanding plus as your on a standard contract I belive you can just return the car without any problems or pay about 4.5k and own the car (the car should only be worth about that unfortunatly)

So you have almost no colateral in the car in my opinion. So either wait till March and get the dealer to give you the money necessary to finalise payment on the car (finalise meaning you finish the monythy payment not that you own the car). This should mena you have about £1500 towards a 182/172

The list of the new 182 is £14k I belive so your looking at needing to finance about £12k for a new 182. Which could be worked out to be about £166 per month over 3yr with the option to buy the car at the end for about 7k

If your looking for a 1 yr old cup or 172 then the prices seem to be about 11k athough you could get them down to £10.5k however the finance then willnt be a Renault deal as Renault delas are on new cars only I belive. Financing the £10.5k menas your looking at about a 9k loan this will cost about £300 per month if you have a good credit rating (HSBC say £320 at 11.9% apr) over 3ys although you will own the car at the end of the finace.

If your looking at a 2yr old 172 then prices are about £1k less I belive so the cost per month to you will be about £18 per month.

However if your looking at a car 2yrs old not then it will be 5yrs old when you come to sell it in 3yrs and values can be very low and you only have a warently for the first yr.

You maybe best trying to seel the 1.2 pricvatly but you will need to contact Renault Finace about the amount you still owe to buy the car outright. It may shock you as even when you finish the month pyments you still dont own the car you have to return it to Renault.

Your car is maybe worth £2k max I would guess if your on a Renault fincance deal.

EDD

Titanium 182

get a civic

vtec is amazing

then again get a new import integra drive that and then wonder what made you even think a 172 was part of the equasion!(how ever you spell it!)

I went from an 02 clio extreme to a 172. Id definitly recommend selling and buying privately.

I got a bank loan, paid off the remaining finance on the extreme, then sold it privately and got the 172 i saw advertised on exchange mart.

Payments went up around £100 more p/month.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Make sure to get some insurance quotes that you are happy paying first before you commit to the 172. I know insurance can be a killer.

E36 323i coupe

I had a 1.2 Dynamique before the Cup. The 1.2 was on finance through GE Capital at £203 per month. On the Cup I pay £270 per month. I just went into the dealer and they agreed on a price which wasnt bad (£5000 they gave me for my 34,000mile 2 year old, 1.2!) Got a cheque back from GE for what they owed me. Carry on the finance. Easy. Couldnt be arsed with messing around. Might mean I pay a bit more, but it was easy for me.

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

Cheers for the advice all. I know better where I stand now I am not sure if I want the hassle of private selling so will probably end up going through a dealer but when I get a chance ill see what the damage is on the finance as it stands before I decide. Insurance is not too ball busting around a grand on a 172 - a fair bit more for the civic but thats still OK. Im hoping to have it sorted as a pressie for myself on my 25th birthday which is not too far off... My garage is also quite small so that limits my options.. can manage a foot or two longer than the clio and thats about it.

Remapped derv Golf

I find my aunties 1.4 Dynamique feels like a completely different car to my CUP. They are nothing like each other. The cup has a better driving position, steering wheel feels more chucky and has a couple of nice cut-aways for your thumbs, the clutch has a stronger more solid feel, the gearbox slips into gear better, the brakes are miles better and the seats seem more supportive but that my be down to the cups different driving position. The cup even feels bigger to drive for some reason??? The upgrade is worth it if you can afford it.

There are more differences (apart from the power/handling) but I cant be bothered to type them in

I could have bought a 172 as I paid cash for my cup and was even offered a new 172 for the same price as I paid but I wanted the CUP. Really like the look of the mondial blue.

If I want all the nik naks the 172 has then I will borrow mums Scenic. Which isnt a bad car all thing considered.

Golf GTI MKV

about your current finance with Renault.

Call them up, you should have the number somewhere on your paperwork, and ask them for a settlement figure.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly suprised as i thought i owed alot more. The settlement figure is then valid up until the date of your next direct debit payment.

Then compare the settlement figure to the value of your current motor to see where you currently stand.

Buy a diesel skoda. Cheaper to insure.

Look round for some used CUPs. Theirs one by mine for £10K. Was tempted but the insurence is £700 cheaper on the Skoda. Bloody Liverpool insurence premiums.