ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing 172 for 225 (value of 172)

Hi

I have decided to change my 172 for a Megan 225 cup. I have a coupple of questions.

1) What is the value of my 172?

It is a October (53) 2003 172 in silver with the clio cup alloys on. It has done 23,000 miles and is in very good condition. Full renault servicing UK car 2 owners (me from 6k miles). The dealer is offering me £7500px but I may sell it privately. How much would I get for it?

2) How much should I pay for a Megan 225 Cup?

My local dealer is only offering £1k off list. Broadspeed have the cups listed for £14,500. If anyone has had any experience of Broadspeed or other uk car brokers, do UK dealers actually sell them for this low and would they still PX my car?

Thanks in advance:D

I took a Megan Trophy out for a decent test drive yesterday hence desire to change.

£7.5k sounds a reasonable price for your car. Id not think youd get much more not when 182s have been going for £8.5k in some cases.

Im not sure how much cheaper the megan cup is but a full weigh should be able £15k from a garage who need the sale/the internet.

Elise/VX220/R26

7.5k is good, I changed mine earlier this year and got 8,300 for an 03 with 21k on the clock. I had the new shape changeover in mind and probably ended up getting a better price for the 172 as a result. I think cups can be had for around the 15 grand bracket. Check www.meganesport.net we have a few people awaiting delivery of the cups on there at the moment

Im thinking of doing the same in a couple of months.

Howd the 225 Trophy compare to the standard 172? I still love my 172 and dont wanna sacrifice the amount of fun I get from blating around in her so my next car needs to be on a par fun factor wise so Id be interested in your comparison. Also Ive never owned a turbod motor so this appeals too.

I must admit I havent looked around much (yet) but I was surprised at how much you can get the 225s for. I specced up a full fat 225 with a cup pack and full leather for £16,523 from www.buyacar.co.uk, so dealer knocking 1K off list seems pants in comparison. I thought about the cup but if I can get a UK spec 225 with cup pack & full leather for this price I think Ill run with that.

Ive been offered 5K trade in for mine - 47K miles 02 plate. Ill be selling privately me thinks.......

Renault Laguna Coupe

225 Trophy (or Cup) is a brilliant car Rich, if you need all that room ;) Dead easy to drive and goes like stink.

Elise/VX220/R26

A full fat 225 with cup pack is what I would go for. Just look at the list of stuff you get on the cup option list:

18” anthracite alloy wheels (1.5 kg lighter than Mégane Renaultsport 225 and 8” wide vs. 7.5”)
Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres 235/40 R18 (ilo 225/40 R18)
Drilled front and rear brake discs
Increased brake master cylinder diameter
Revised, stiffened electrically assisted power steering
Re-tuned front and rear damper settings
Uprated front and rear spring rates (25% front and 77% rear)
De-connectable ESP

I wouldnt discount the normal full fat. The stuff about the handling is totally overhyped by people who have never driven them. It handles about the same as my old 172 only the PAS is weighted more heavily (which I like) Only real problem I have is brake fade/overheating but other 225 owners say they have never pushed it hard enough to getit to do that.

However for £500 youd be insane not to go for the cup option if your buying new. Add leather to that list and youve got probably the best hatch on the market at themoment (although not the cheapest!)

[Edited by jonnyboy on 8/22/2005 9:53:22 AM]

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 22 August 2005

However for £500 youd be insane not to go for the cup option if your buying new. Add leather to that list and youve got probably the best hatch on the market at themoment (although not the cheapest!)

With the exception of the LCR and the Golf Gti....;-)

VaVa

Still betetr than the meg!!

But for the Money, the Meg takes some beating. Can be bought cheap as chips on tinternet..

Ziel Nurburgring

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 22 August 2005

A full fat 225 with cup pack is what I would go for. Just look at the list of stuff you get on the cup option list:

18” anthracite alloy wheels (1.5 kg lighter than Mégane Renaultsport 225 and 8” wide vs. 7.5”)
Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres 235/40 R18 (ilo 225/40 R18)
Drilled front and rear brake discs
Increased brake master cylinder diameter
Revised, stiffened electrically assisted power steering
Re-tuned front and rear damper settings
Uprated front and rear spring rates (25% front and 77% rear)
De-connectable ESP

I wouldnt discount the normal full fat. The stuff about the handling is totally overhyped by people who have never driven them. It handles about the same as my old 172 only the PAS is weighted more heavily (which I like) Only real problem I have is brake fade/overheating but other 225 owners say they have never pushed it hard enough to getit to do that.

One of them was Omar, who owned one and hated it. Said it handle like a fat bird on a water bed, but having driven the Thophy and Cup i can tell you they go very well and very smooth when on boost.

Plus, with the Cup you can turn the ESP/TC off and you cant on the chubby one

Elise/VX220/R26

Yeah Omar is the single person whos made those comments and Ive seen them repeated here and on the renaultsport forum loads of times. Most of the people on meganesport.net had RS clios before the megane and non are rushing back to renault to hand them back. Disabling ESP on the full fat would be good, one of our members has all the gear to read/write the meg ECU so it shouldnt be too long till theres a way around that. Cupd 225s have fully switchable ASR though