ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing gearbox oil, numpty guide

I have bought 4l of Silkolene Syn 5 off "oilman". Not too good on spannering so any numpty tips on dropping/filling the gearbox oil appreciated...

Hoping to find an obvious drain plug, and got a good idea what the fill plug looks like. Take it you need to jack up the front to get to the drain plug. Is it best to lower it and even jack up the rear end to make sure its empty?

Where are the best jacking points (trolley) and axle stand sites, front and rear, please?

Thanks,

Gareth

Depends how good you are i can change the oil in mine without jacking it up but thats cos Im lazy and i know where it is.

The drain point is the one by the gearlevel selecter. 8mm sump plug adapter you need to undo it. There only 2 plugs under the engine one for the oil and one for the gearbox you cannot miss the oil one its on the sump itself.

Why are you changing the gearbox oil though if you dont mind me asking oil change I can understand but unless the cars done a load of miles or been abused to death I cannot see the point.

The engine filling point is the same as the Mk1s (infront of the gearbox down by the front of the car) Im guessing so youll have a right laught trying to fill it up. Best idea it to get a pipe into the filling point and them put a bottle on it so the fluid goes in like that. Renault dealerships have a tool which does it under pressure making it easy but otherwise this is the only option.

Jacking point on the front Id recomend using the chassic point easy way to find these is to look under the car just by where the door hinges from and youll see about 1 foot under the car the beam use the at far forward as you can.

On the back well there little weight back there so Id use the normal jacking points or look on the other side of the jacking points and youll see a flat bit of metal use that.

There no need to jack the car realy though unless your cars massively lowered or you need some more space.

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 28 August 2005

Why are you changing the gearbox oil though if you dont mind me asking oil change I can understand but unless the cars done a load of miles or been abused to death I cannot see the point.
Has become a bit notchy going into third so following advice on here Im changing the oil as a first step. Its low mileage (<20K) but four years old now, so cant do any harm.

Thanks for the advice.

[Edited by gh172 on 28 August 2005 at 9:19pm]