ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Pads/Discs

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
One more question! Do I need to take the whole caliper off and disconnect the brake fluid thing or as I read somewhere am I able to take off the bottom bolts and replace the disc with the caliper hinged at the top?
Does that make sense, or is it easier to take off the whole thing?

Cheers

Lionel Richie
you need to remove the caliper (13mm and 17mm spanner) and then remove the pad carrier ( 2 x 18mm bolts) and then you can get the disc off

BUT - remove the torx screws first before removing the caliper

330i. E30 Touring.
Don't take the brake line off though, or you'll need to bleed the brakes.

Use something to keep the caliper from hanging on the line, ideally. Bricks/axle stands or something..

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Got the caliper sitting on a box at the moment with the line connected, that's all fine
Eventually managed to get the torx bits out, but I cant get the two 18mm bolts to take the holder thing off! Won't budge at all
Gonna get a lift down to the shops to get a bigger spanner I think

330i. E30 Touring.
If you've got the caliper off, you don't need to muck about with the pad holder, iirc.

You should just be able to wiggle them out?

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
If you've got the caliper off, you don't need to muck about with the pad holder, iirc.

You should just be able to wiggle them out?

I don't think the discs will come out though will they? I read somewhere you didn't have to take the holder off, but someone else said you did!
May give it a quick try now

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Can't see it coming off without taking the other bit off first, doesn't look like enough room
Pretty stuck on as far as I can see too, so may need a bit of a hammering!

330i. E30 Touring.
If you take the two bolts out at the back of the caliper.. 17mm from memory, the whole caliper should come off. Then just move the pads about until they come out..

Been a while since i've done it though, so I'm probably wrong..

EDIT. Listen to Fred. Above.

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Cheers guys,
one more thing, where do I need to put copper grease?
Managed to get the bolts undone in the end, so it's all sorted but want to check where to grease. Obviously I don't want to put it on the main bit of the disc/pad but where should it go?
thanks

BMW 330ci, Clio 182
Just over the back of the pads and on the side.

Don't get it on the front!

Thanks, will do it now

Was about to take the second disc off as I wasn't sure where to grease but I can't get the 18mm bolts from that one now either! Managed it ok on the first one in the end, these won't budge at all - great fun :lolup: