ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing springs on 182

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Going to attempt to replace my springs at the weekend for cooksports.

I've never touched suspension before is this a simple job to do?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, easy.

No spring compressors needed.

Rears, jack the back of the car up by the rear beam, and axle stands under the cills. Undo both 18mm bolts holding the shocks up, lower the beam down, springs will fall out. Replace and put back together. 15 mins work.

The fronts, you need to buzz off the top mounts while the car's on the deck (unless you have air tools). If you don't have power tools, get a local garage to loosen the top mounts before you start the job. Will save loads of hassle.

Wheels off, 21mm nuts off the shock to hub bolts. Remove the bolt, undo the top mount, whole shock and spring assy comes out as one. 17mm on the half nut at the top. Bang, job done.

I tried this at the weekend, couldn't undo the front top mounts even with a drop head spanner and allen key. Looks like a job for the garage to undo them as above.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
Hmm may get a rough price from a garage see what they quote, i can't afford to have it in bits on the drive 😂

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Just borrow someone's zip gun. They'll come undone no sweat then!

You can use a Swan neck spanner and Allen key with tubing on the end for extra leverage if you don't have access to a gun/air tools.

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
I won't have access to a air gun and I'm probably limited to tools I don't have many haha

Sj1782

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s3 8p
My local garage is an arsehole so refuse to use them Was thinking of taking it to bram racing in ponte as the alignment needs doing also