ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing top left gearbox mount, guide?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone got, or can write me a mini guide to changing the mount under the battery?

Thanks

172 cup, Impreza P1
From memory:
Remove battery
Remove airbox and inlet pipe
Remove ecu bracket
Take the weight of the gearbox with a trolley jack
Disconnect loom from mount
Remove 3 17mm bolts holding mount to gearbox
Remove 4 13mm bolts holding mount to chassis
Pull the mount free from the bay
Unbolt upper and lower parts of the mount and replace.
Reassemble in reverse

May have missed something but you should be able to work it out. Hope this helps.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
As above is pretty much spot on and it'll all be pretty obvious once battery and airbox is out of the way.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
From memory:
Remove battery
Remove airbox and inlet pipe
Remove ecu bracket
Take the weight of the gearbox with a trolley jack
Disconnect loom from mount
Remove 3 17mm bolts holding mount to gearbox
Remove 4 13mm bolts holding mount to chassis
Pull the mount free from the bay
Unbolt upper and lower parts of the mount and replace.
Reassemble in reverse

May have missed something but you should be able to work it out. Hope this helps.

Cheers mate, doesnt sound too bad! So basically i need to remove the whole battery tray mount thingy to change the rubber?

172 cup, Impreza P1
It's easier to take the whole thing out IMO as you need to hold the nut under the mount to free the top rubber. Also means you can ensure it's all torqued up correctly.

Not too much work to remove complete mount.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
HELP! The main bolt that goes through the rubber has sheared off! What can i do?!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347701956.736761.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347701977.406387.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, im removed the gearbox bracket thing that the bolt goes through and luckily have it out but now i need a new bolt and this thing looks pretty meaty, doubt ill find 1 to match it anywhere!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347702406.891265.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347702438.730630.jpg

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, i only drove him home from work after it popped at lunchtime yesterday, iv id realised how bad it was i probably wouldnt have taken the risk!

Lionel Richie
its not going to go anywhere, just the box will be sat on the subframe, will make a bit of a noise, just don't gun it

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Got it out. Right so do i meed to replace this entire "assembley" or is this bolt more than 1 part? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347703790.616984.jpg.

Also, i dont suppose anyone could please dig me up a part number?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
if anyone can help me out with a bolt this weekend then PLEASE get in contact! I would be eternally grateful!

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Forum members FTW! Someone came to my rescue this afternoon so the car is back on the road and driving a lot tighter than it ever was before!

Many.
Pay membership and talk to Adam at renault Wolverhampton, or speak to your local renault dealer, they'll be able to find it easily.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
kinda pressed in, it has splines so when you tigthen it up is "cuts" into the mount
Epic thread revival but does anyone have any tips on how to seperate these two parts before I go at it? I really don't want to damage the big bolt. Thanks!

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Changed my gearbox mount recently and had issues getting the mount off the big bolt. I left the actually cast mount that connects the box to the chassis in place and just changed the rubber mount in-situ. Was a bit fiddly but definitely achievable.

- using a trolly Jack, Jack the box just enough to support it and take the pressure off the mount.

- take the 3 x nuts off the rubber mount itself (2 that hold it to the cast mount and the one that bolts to the central gearbox bolt)

- using a pair of waterpump pliers, grip the rubber mount at the 9 & 3 positions and give it a good wiggle and pull upwards and it should pop off. You’re trying to break the stiction/any corrosion between the hole of the mount and the splined part of the central gearbox bolt.

hope this help.

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Changed my gearbox mount recently and had issues getting the mount off the big bolt. I left the actually cast mount that connects the box to the chassis in place and just changed the rubber mount in-situ. Was a bit fiddly but definitely achievable.

- using a trolly Jack, Jack the box just enough to support it and take the pressure off the mount.

- take the 3 x nuts off the rubber mount itself (2 that hold it to the cast mount and the one that bolts to the central gearbox bolt)

- using a pair of waterpump pliers, grip the rubber mount at the 9 & 3 positions and give it a good wiggle and pull upwards and it should pop off. You’re trying to break the stiction/any corrosion between the hole of the mount and the splined part of the central gearbox bolt.

hope this help.
I ended up removing the whole spider assembly. As I then had the mount out I just put it in a vice and went to town with a hacksaw and stanley knife. When I could get a grip on the metal part it was easy to loosen off the splines. Had a nightmare getting everything to line up when putting it back together though haha.

Now I know how it all goes together and how the mount is made I would probably do it differently next time!