ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap Filters FTL :D

2014 Focus Titanium
Just got my cokin P series holder + adapter and I also bought an ND4 grad filter from ebay for £7.

Well you get what you pay for put it that way! I thought I would take some photos for examples of the compromise in image quality.

All shots were taken with my Sigma 70-300 APO f/4-5.6 at f/8.0 and all shots are straight out of the camera

200mm Macro no filter

200mmMacroNoFilter.jpg

100% Crop

200mmMacroNoFilterCrop.jpg

200mm Macro with Filter

200mmMacrowithFilter.jpg

100% Crop

200mmMacroNoFilterCrop.jpg

300mm Macro no filter

300mmMacroNoFilter.jpg

100% Crop

300mmMacroNoFilterCrop.jpg

300mm Macro with filter

300mmMacrowithFilter.jpg

100% Crop

300mmMacrowithFilterCrop.jpg

Now obviously this kind of filter wouldn't normally be used in a macro shot like this so to make it a fair comparison I have done some bog standard shots.

70mm no filter

70mmNoFilter.jpg

100%

70mmNoFilterCrop.jpg

70mm with filter

70mmwithFilter.jpg

100% Crop

70mmwithFilterCrop.jpg

300mm no filter

300mmNoFilter.jpg

100% Crop

300mmNoFilterCrop.jpg

300mm with filter

300mmwithFilter.jpg

100% Crop

300mmwithFilterCrop.jpg

So there you have it folks, as you can see the filter really seems to have an effect at full focal length, but at 70mm no real IQ decrease is evident. I took some photos yesterday of our PGA Pro hitting golf balls and anything upto about 250mm was fine with the filter on (without pixel peeping) but beyond that wasn't really useable.

Discuss!

I have B+W single coated filters on my lenses and have noticed no difference in quality so far... there not the cheapest, but not high on the expense list either! Plus they are brass, making threading them far harder!

Were these taken with a tripod? Surely an ND4 is going to lose you a fair bit of light, meaning if all were taken at f8.0 you need a slower shutter speed to get an equivalent image...?

hehe its not a big deal filters will always affect the image ever so slightly but some do it more than others

that reminds me im over in hull tonight

well to beverly first to pizza express i have a 2 for 1 voucher to use then over to kingswood cineworld for a film

2014 Focus Titanium
Cool man! I need to get my arse into gear and try the 2 new cinemas in hull, the one above princes quay and the one in st. stevens.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, interesting test. I'm gonna have to try that out with my hoya filters from ebay.