ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap original 172 Cup with extras!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Was so tempted to buy this to clean up and put away, but already done that with the Twingo.

Local to me too so even more tempting.

Stick the original bits back on, get some Renault Turinis and you've got a collectible classic. Even has the OEM rear seats and cat still.#

Bargain (I don't know the bloke but it's too good not to share)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I was flicking through the add going "steering wheel isn't original, neither is radio. And it looks lowered. Engine mount isn't OEM, pfffttt"

Then I saw all the original parts with it lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yeah could get a couple hundred quid back for the spicy parts

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, there's a few quid there just re-fitting the stock parts and selling the aftermarket.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Went to see this, this weekend as I got the 182 wheel off him in case I want to use it in the Twingo, really sound bloke, very much a Renaultsport guy.

Had the car 13+ years and honestly it's a credit to him. Very very good condition. Obviously few age related clean ups to make it 100% perfect but if I had the space, I'd be buying this one. Paint is in excellent condition, and looks all original.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  T.Turbo
Looks like an honest example. Only downside is rust starting to creep on passenger side arch.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Looks like an honest example. Only downside is rust starting to creep on passenger side arch.

yeah he did show me that. Where do they rot from? thought were usually behind filler neck?

Do they rust from the lower arch due to stone chips? 130k 20 years old it's not doing bad, ha. My Jap stuff wouldn't have lasted this long

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah he did show me that. Where do they rot from? thought were usually behind filler neck?

Do they rust from the lower arch due to stone chips? 130k 20 years old it's not doing bad, ha. My Jap stuff wouldn't have lasted this long
Usually they rust in the rear lower arches & rear sills from decades worth of road salt and dirt getting caught up behind the side skirt and arch liners, which people usually neglect to clean. I took my door cards off the other day to check inside the rear sills as they're notorious for rotting on the Phase 1's, thankfully its looking pretty solid although it could do with a clean to check properly:

IMG_8799.jpeg

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Bean 182 + E70 X5

Starting to see loads rusting on the rear arches now, mine included (although luckily not too bad as it's only done about 1000 miles in the last 2 years)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Usually they rust in the rear lower arches & rear sills from decades worth of road salt and dirt getting caught up behind the side skirt and arch liners, which people usually neglect to clean. I took my door cards off the other day to check inside the rear sills as they're notorious for rotting on the Phase 1's, thankfully its looking pretty solid although it could do with a clean to check properly:

View attachment 1647856

Very much like the Ep3, except that the EP3 would be guaranteed rot! Just how bad was the question. Renault really do age well in this regard. My twingo is so clean (apart from the subframe being a bit battered), I was determined to find some on the body itself, but not a peep. Probs where most of the weight is in underseal, ha

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  T.Turbo

Yep stone chips on outside and rot from the inside on the seam/joint between inner arch. Sadly to do it right needs chopping out and replacement metal so quite a labourous/expensive job to do. Do wonder what sill is like too and underside.

Its done well for a 20 year old car though. Miles better than any jap!

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much like the Ep3, except that the EP3 would be guaranteed rot! Just how bad was the question. Renault really do age well in this regard. My twingo is so clean (apart from the subframe being a bit battered), I was determined to find some on the body itself, but not a peep. Probs where most of the weight is in underseal, ha
I saw this video about an EP3 recently, I can't believe how badly they rot underneath :oops:

View attachment EP3 Tiktok.mp4

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Can't blame you at all for getting rid, if they all rot like that I'd be terrified of driving it :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to my world. And the worrying thing is Mazda are even worse, when I see an older Mx5 on the road now I worry it's going to snap in half.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Nd's are getting there too. Especially the subframes etc, I've seen some really bad ones already. I cake mine in ACF50 and wash it a handful of times a year, its rust free but it still attempts to get started on those areas.