ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cheapest insurance company for a 17yr old

iam trying to find some insurance for my younger brother on a 1.0 yaris, as he has just passed, the cars only worth 2k and the quotes are 3.5k plus... where does everybody here get there insurance

they may have annoying adverts but use one of the online comparison sites mate, i got quoted s**t loads for my insurance, then went on the aa.com and got to 600 quid less, no s**t.

jamie

Agreed.
One thing that will reduce it a lot though is only going tpft on it, but he'll have to pay for his if he stacked it, so there is that risk.

they may have annoying adverts but use one of the online comparison sites mate, i got quoted s**t loads for my insurance, then went on the aa.com and got to 600 quid less, no s**t.

jamie
Gotta love the AA, they have sent me a few renewals for a valver, a car i've not had in over three years ! What also gets me is that their price of tpft is only about £80 less than I paid f/c !

Clio
No simple answer really, from what I've been told by a friend in insurance the companies work like this.

They make there money from high risk drivers not having accidents and paying the higher premiums. Therefore they need to balance the risk by insuring a high percentage of low risk drivers.

Low risk drivers = less profit but less pay out (in theory)
High risk drivers = high profit but more pay out (in theory)

So to balance this insurance companies alter there prices depending on the state of there policies they currently have, for example if they have a high % of low risk drivers insure with them for the first 3 weeks of a month they will then offer lower more competetive prices to the higher risk drivers to increase thier profits because they've got the lower risk income/less payout already so can afford to build a bit of risk into the equation. Where as if they don't get the low risk drivers to cover the risk of insuring the high risk drivers they put the proces up to scare high risk drivers off.

So the key is to catch an insurance company at the right time of the greater low risk than high risk cylce.

Not all insurance companies work to the same risk levels though so some are going to be more competitive than others.

jamie
Gotta love the AA, they have sent me a few renewals for a valver, a car i've not had in over three years ! What also gets me is that their price of tpft is only about £80 less than I paid f/c !

Last time the AA quoted me I was paying £550 with privilege for the 182 Fully comp. They came back to me with a figure of £2,500, lol Jokers!

Agreed.
One thing that will reduce it a lot though is only going tpft on it, but he'll have to pay for his if he stacked it, so there is that risk.

too risky, madness if you ask me

lol, dad has the same on an old classic

Turbos.
Play around with the quotes by adding family members (ideally women) to the policy.

Remember paying £3.5k on insurance for my 1.2 Clio, grim!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
How do insurance companies define the main driver?

at a guess they go by the person who drives it the most, the clue is in the title.

alot of insurers wont insure you unless the main driver owns the car so no i own it but my dad insures it malarky. Also if you do crash and its a total loss and something is fishly like your dad owns a 3 litre bmw and a 1.2 clio and the inspector notices the 1.2 has 18 inch weels a big ass stereo and a sunstrip and the son is insured on the 1.2 then they can interview the people in your street, and see who really drives it and the can contact your work see if you have a parking permit etc.

fronting is a risky game but ultimately not worth it imo.

tell him to do a pass plus, NU halved their quote for my wee bro when he told them he had one. they quoted him £2800 one day for is 1.2 dynamique, next day he said he had a pass plus they dropped it to £1410 that was at 18 with about 2 months "experience"

i think for those who credit it a pass plus it counts as one years NCB but gets cancelled out the next year by your proper 1ncb so the insurance doesnt go down much if any.

Motorbikes
Cheap insurance for 17 year olds just doesnt exist to be honest. All you can do is try find the cheapest one of all the expensive quotes.

Not to sure about 17, but I'm fairly young and have found Bell great. They're one of the only ones that will quote me on some cars.

197 Albi Blue
As my car is a company owned vehicle the insurance is in my parents name as its their business that owns the vehicle, but i am listed as a frequent user which the insurance company say alows me to drive the car every day of the week. Still £1000 on 1.2 16V though and im 19 next week

Clio DCi 65
Insurance at 19 now with 2 years driving experience is 840 on my Dci 65. Think it's about group 3. Cheap insurance does not exist when your young

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Insurance at 19 now with 2 years driving experience is 840 on my Dci 65. Think it's about group 3. Cheap insurance does not exist when your young

Lies! I got my Cup when I was 19. £940 fully comp 0ncb's. Group 17 baby! :rasp:

i tried bell insurance for him
Car premium: £7653.95 Your total price:£7653.95
If you want to pay monthly please call: 0800 140 181
lol for a 1.0 yaris

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Insurance has got silly over the last few years. I wonder how many young drivers don't even bother with insurance! There is a group of kids who live in my village who all seemed to have just passed their test and there is no way they can all be properly insured especially with all the mods they have done!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Go on parents insurance; get them to drive the car 3 days a week to work or something, he will then be classed as 2nd driver legally. On the other 4 days he can be insured on whatever they drive as a 3rd driver or something.

Perfectly honest and probably a darn sight cheaper than insuring the car in his name :)

£500 clio 1.2 8v for 3 years ftw. Third party too so he can build up some no claims. Wtf buy a £2500 1.0 yaris as a first car if your worried about stacking it on tpft. Cheepest decent banger he can find. Even if 4 blow up in a couple of years he's still quids in rather than buying the yaris.

None
Its alot of money tho, where does your friend live - Brixton?? shouldnt be more than 1500 quid really. I hate insurance tho its so expensive when your young. I paid just under 1100 quid tpft on a 1.1 Renault 5 Campus. Now im 23 I can get insured comp on an MR2 non turbo for about 400 quid

Revels Mum & Sister
Cooperative Insurance Services (CIS)

They were always well cheap "when I was young".

Yep they were for me. But this was 6 years ago.

Since I decided to insure daft cars like the Mr2 Turbo, Audi S3, Coupe 20VT and the Evo 6 I have allways found the likes off Elephant, Admiral and Bell to be the best.

best thing is probably start of (if you can afford this) as the primary driver with insurance in your name...its costly at first but with just 1 years no claims (im 18) the insurance on my dynamique (5e) dropped over a grand in the 2nd year and is now only 800. Although cheap-ish its still a joke.

All those quotes for the yaris are ridiculous though!

Why not consider fleet insurance for the whole family, that usally works out cheaper and you get to drive everything, my friend gets to be insured on a 7 series, ml600, mini cooper s and a bently the way his family's fleet cover works.

Problem nowadays is we all get shafted for everyone else's mistake, ive been driving over a year and havent even touched another car or even scraped it yet are forced to pay out to insurance companies a small fortune for the privelege of just being legal.