ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheapest Meg 225

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

£14,599 - motorpoint

Seriously thinking about it. Insurance is £45 more than my 182.

Bambino = bigger car.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I dont think that motorpoint one is right, i cant be nearly 1k cheaper than the others ?!? Unless they cant shift them and want to get rid of stock !?

Clio 200 Cup packed

of course theyre imports, im suprised than anybody was under impression they werent.

but who cares if they are, thats a hell of a lot of car for the money!

Didnt want to start a new thread but what are the main differences appearance-wise, of a UK 182 and an import for example? And do imports not have any alarm fitted?

Actuallly the cars supplied bby buymynewcar are NOT imports. They are sourced from the same place Reanult UK get all their cars from are go through the same CAT UK process as any import car when coming into this country. The only difference is they will be pre registered, if youre keeping it for a while then this shouldnt bother you. Its a UK car for all intents and purposes.

Id steer clear of Motorpoint TBH, their car will be an import.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 18 March 2005

of course theyre imports, im suprised than anybody was under impression they werent.

but who cares if they are, thats a hell of a lot of car for the money!
Think i worded is slightly wrong. I KNOW motorpoint are imports but it says on the other site UK franchise supplied. So is this a proper UK car with alarm etc.. etc..??

Mark 1 Clio V6

I got my 225 from buymynewcar and so far it is without any problem.

Yes its pre-registered, but I am planning on keeping it for at least 4 years, so that is not a problem.

I would recommend them.

They get their cars direct from Renault UK and are UK spec with all the benefits of buying from a UK dealer.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by CraigV6 on 18 March 2005

I got my 225 from buymynewcar and so far it is without any problem.

Yes its pre-registered, but I am planning on keeping it for at least 4 years, so that is not a problem.

I would recommend them.

They get their cars direct from Renault UK and are UK spec with all the benefits of buying from a UK dealer.
Thanks for the info mate. How much did you pay and with what options?

Mark 1 Clio V6

I paid £15,999 which included full leather for an Inferno 225.

I personally love it. It is exactly what I am looking for in a car. After my V6 I wanted something luxurious, comfortable, discreet, practicle, good looking (even the ass!!!) and fast. It is all those things and more.

They are easy to deal with and will also accept trade in if you want it.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Wonder what a dealer would say if i take in the print from buymynewcar ? Would they get close to that price ?

Think there was some guy on here who was a sales guy at reno somewhere

BMW 330d :)

Got a test drive of one 2day, very refined and deceptively fast. Dont need to try as hard as i do with the cup. But it didnt feel as responsive as my stripped down cup, and they actually felt very similar in straight line performance. Get to ur dealer and get a shot to see what u think!

Fraser

St33ly works at a Renault dealer in Fife I think.

Whats the "pre-registered and planning on keeping it for 4 years" comment? What does pre-registered mean to the uninitiated and is this different from imported? And why would it be a problem if you planned to keep it for less than 4 years? Sorry all the qus!

Quote: Originally posted by The Kirmanator on 18 March 2005
Actuallly the cars supplied bby buymynewcar are NOT imports. They are sourced from the same place Reanult UK get all their cars from are go through the same CAT UK process as any import car when coming into this country. The only difference is they will be pre registered, if youre keeping it for a while then this shouldnt bother you. Its a UK car for all intents and purposes.Id steer clear of Motorpoint TBH, their car will be an import.

So why steer clear of imports?

You say that buymynewcar are sourced from same place as Renault UK, do you mean same production line?

If you want one now, and not wait 3 months, why not use motorpoint.

Log book will be in French , no etching on the windows - thats all I know.
Not always the case - any imported 172s Ive seen have all had log books in English (mine is). Imports dont have window etching, locking wheels nuts or alarm as standard AFAIK.

Why is there this issue on CS with imported cars? Yeah, theyre not exactly to UK spec but who the hell cares? Theyre not inferior cars! I saved a fortune buying my 172 from Motorpoint. Even speccing an import up to UK spec (adding an alarm, locking wheel nuts + etching) wouldntve cost anything close to the UK price. Theyre the same bloody cars, made in the same crappy way in the same damn factory...

I know that now UK 182 can be sourced for similar to what I paid for my import 172, but that wasnt the case when I bought!

And theyre both damn good prices for the Meggy 225 - a lot of car for the money, especially when Golf GTIs are about £20k...

Clio 200 Cup packed

after learning about and experiencing buying and owning an import, there is no chance i would buy a UK car again, unless of course they knocked off some serious pound notes!

you can get uk 225s for 16k, but have you test drove one ???, you may not like it, perhaps the trophy is better tho

it will already have an owner on the logbook, so although you will be the first owner, the logbook will say 2 owners

And who is the mysterious first owner? Is it the dealer?

I assume this is all to do with selling the car on without customers incurring VAT? And I guess it would make an impact on the resale value if its got 2 previous owners rather then owned from new.......any other things to know about pre-reg cars?

182 blue - you got comp stripes on your motor? Im torn between comp stripes and Arctic Blue.........you happy with your choice?

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 18 March 2005

Log book will be in French , no etching on the windows - thats all I know.
Not always the case - any imported 172s Ive seen have all had log books in English (mine is). Imports dont have window etching, locking wheels nuts or alarm as standard AFAIK.

Why is there this issue on CS with imported cars? Yeah, theyre not exactly to UK spec but who the hell cares? Theyre not inferior cars! I saved a fortune buying my 172 from Motorpoint. Even speccing an import up to UK spec (adding an alarm, locking wheel nuts + etching) wouldntve cost anything close to the UK price. Theyre the same bloody cars, made in the same crappy way in the same damn factory...

I know that now UK 182 can be sourced for similar to what I paid for my import 172, but that wasnt the case when I bought!

And theyre both damn good prices for the Meggy 225 - a lot of car for the money, especially when Golf GTIs are about £20k...

Couldnt Agree more with the above. Load of crap talked on here about imports. So long as you are aware that you will get a bit less if when you come to sell it the person asks/knows its an import then theres no drawbacks. Even with that in mind and putting an alarm on it I still saved money over dealer/UK prices. Mine was from Motorpoint (182) paid £11699. Renault Notts wouldnt go much below £14000 at the time and offered me £200 more for my P/X. As said before same factory same car. Dont give a smeg about Cup packs either as ive changed the wheels for Speedlines and got coilovers anyway. Sorry rant over ; )

Mike

Clio 200 Cup packed

totally agree MikeGG, before i bought my 182 from the FRIENDLY barkers in preson, my experience with 2 renault dealers was not good, fair enough they have to make money but when i asked them to actually SELL me the car, they knock about £500 off and one dealer (preston) werent even helpful enough to let me have a test drive!

i got my 172 from motorpoint 12k two year ago nearly. with cat1 alarm, 6cdchanger etc.. imports are fine IMO.

The megane is seriously fast once moving, lighter than all the 220-225hp cars around i.e LCR or WRX or TT hence faster than them in a straight line even if only by a bit. the very fact that a stripped cup seemed simular in performance seems amazing but just imagine if you remapped to 260-270hp. sub 6 to 60 easily and 160mph. they are also very comfotable and although the steering is over assisted its a safe chunky well built buggy.

the only problem is that all the great deals via internet mean that for £16995 you can get a brand new 05 WRX impreza hmmm i know there not as quick to 100 by a tiny ammount but to 60 there very rapid and durable.

tough choice ? 1k extra buys you one hmm..

Just annoys me all the stay away from imports stuff. Fair enough now the dealer prices have dropped and you can get em below 13K now but at the time I was looking Motorpoint was a MUCH better option. Renault admitted they couldnt get near Motorpoints prices and tried to tell me they were two totally different products and if I wanted their product then fine!!! WTF an alarm £250 fitted, locking wheel nuts and etched glass. Wow big deal IMO not worth the £2500 difference in price at the time.

Has anyone had a bad import experience? Only seems to be people all in favour of the imported car on here at the moment........just want to see what the flip-side of the argument is.

Well i knew i was gonna change the wheels and suspension so wasnt bothered about cup packs and it was well cheaper for me at the time to go to Motorpoint. Im well happy but can see the yeah but dealers are cheaper now argument.

just like to add it seems everyone from magazines internet reviews forum users seem to underestimate the megane its a suprisingly fast. i even belive that the BBC Topgear program made the megane RS look slower than the Golf GTI (clarkson had dinner with VW boss nite before shoot) although the 225 came 2nd i think the Trophy would be faster or as fast as 147gta , golf R32.

still it looks funny LOL.

I like the look of the megane , but opted for the 182 could have got an 04 pre reg / demo from dealer £15,500 nominal miles but couldnt quite stretch that far , btw when you switch the traction/esp off on the megane it switches itself on again at 30 mph

I got mine for <£15K with the auto climate and I love it to bits. Is does all the family stuff that I have to do now and will still go like stink when required.

I thought it was very weird that the ASP turned itself back on at 30 mph but then you get used to the thing and realise what happens when you floor it in a 225bhp fron wheel driven car - tad scary!! I personally would not want more bhp than this unless I had RWD or 4WD!!

8000 miles covered and all in all very happy!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

oh so tempted by one of the new meg trophy !! like the colour + wheels v. much!

what do people think about depreciation on this model over the standard model ?

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I know the V6 is a different kettle of fish but did the arrival of the 255 have an effect on the mk1 versions 2nd hand value ?

Im glad to hear Im not the only person happy with my import! I paid under £11k in March 2004 for my 172. Even with alarm and locking wheel nuts its cheaper than the Renault dealer near me could offer (wouldnt go lower than £13.8k for a 182, no cup packs) - I couldnt afford that, and wouldnt pay that for one either.

I think I was kind of put off by the press reports of the Megane 225, but from hearing reports on here I might consider one in the future! (if I go for that sort of car). Not in inferno though (sorry Moose, just not my colour!).

Quote: Originally posted by Claudeykins on 21 March 2005

And who is the mysterious first owner? Is it the dealer?

I assume this is all to do with selling the car on without customers incurring VAT? And I guess it would make an impact on the resale value if its got 2 previous owners rather then owned from new.......any other things to know about pre-reg cars?

182 blue - you got comp stripes on your motor? Im torn between comp stripes and Arctic Blue.........you happy with your choice?

hey, ni i dont have comp stripes, just thought they were to much, and the wife didnt like them ??, i dont regret for a minute buying the this colour though