ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chipped 172 Phase 2

LY 182
Before I got my 182 this guy had just got his 172. Was talking about it with him (admiring). I said I was looking at a 182 where he proceeded to tell me 172s are quicker which I found highly amusing. I do realise there is really nothing in it, but for him to say that, is just laughable. Now, I was behind him driving when he put his foot down so I followed and there was nothing in it, exactly the same no gap. This is with one passenger in my car and none in his, he also says his is chipped. No more details on the chip I'm afraid.

Sound about right?

P.S. He continued to drive the same round corners and into town which considering safety and driving conditions this year I was just not prepared to do.

BMW M3
In real terms there is nothing in it between a 172 and 182. I had a go with a 172 cup in my full fat 182 with shed loads of shopping and it was identical.

As for a chip, they really just make it more drivable. Not faster.

Although, ive got mine chipped and had a play with another 182 and it was exactly the same form 30 upwards until about 20mph past a tonne lol, and then i started creeping past him and eventually a good few cars lengths. Was a bit fast but i was amazed at how mine pulled away at this speed compared to his. Took a couple of miles though. So maybe the chip had something to do with it.

mk2 clio 172
had a go with a 182 last night i got a mk2 with full prospeed system sports cat n maxogen. there was nothin in it.

LY 182
^^
lol @ floodie! :)

This guy seems like a loser, as soon as he was boasting how 172s are quicker than 182s. I've always believed that there really is nothing in it but if one were to be quicker it would be th 182. Hopefully he felt a muppet when he didn't gain on me!

BMW M3
Yeah.. there so closely matched when standard and even modded ones that is really just driver involvement that makes the difference.

Monaro VXR
Its all down to the driver which is quicker. the differnces between them all are less then 0.3 of a second.

fat 182
he also says his is chipped. No more details on the chip I'm afraid.

did you not tell him renault do touch up pens for chips there only about £3.50!

BMW M3
nova16v said:
ma mate has a 172 chipped, its fast. dunno if it would beat a 182 tho

172 and 182 are pretty much identical and would only beat each other with the input of some proper mods... A chip would not make a noticable difference on its own; just make it more drivable and increase the rev limit.

Red197
I have a 172Cup with a superchip. My mate has a 182. Both cars have a decat, but the 182 also has a full system. At about 100mph on private roads ;-) my cup is about 2-3 car lenghts in front.

BMW M3
Johnny_52 said:
I have a 172Cup with a superchip. My mate has a 182. Both cars have a decat, but the 182 also has a full system. At about 100mph on private roads ;-) my cup is about 2-3 car lenghts in front.

Yeah... same happened to my chipped 182 to a regular one. Only seems to work at those speeds.

Clio 172 mk2
10-15bhp in it between 172 and 182....not going to make much difference.

The Sachs dampers in the Trophy do make a difference though.

I think the 172/182, cup etc is just a Renault marketing ploy.

MINI JCW
on paper the 182 should be slightly faster than the 172, as it has a higher BHP/per tonne figure but in the real world though there is nothing between them and I guess this is the case when comparing RS clios against rival hatches

172 cup TT
gazcaddy said:
on paper the 182 should be slightly faster than the 172, as it has a higher BHP/per tonne figure but in the real world though there is nothing between them and I guess this is the case when comparing RS clios against rival hatches

you mean against a standard 172 dont you? as on paper a 172 cup is higher PPerTonne than a 182 - but its only marginal

Clio Sport 172
My car is fast thats all i care about this car all be it a 172 still puts a smile on my face everyday.

In the end put a s**t driver behind the wheel of a focus RS and a great driver behind a 172 or 182 he will give the s**t driver a good run for his money in a straight line and kick his but round a track

IMO

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
it dont really matter what is faster, as long as u grin like a child when u boot your pride and joy in second gear :rolleyes:

LY 182
^^ Aye aye.

The thing I love is there is no fancy pancy turbo/super charge/nos just 2.0 litre raw power.

MKIII 138
ive found the cup much faster than my old rapido 172 but then again just with back seats out it 105kg`s less and has a large unsprung weight advantage on the alloy wheels also