ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chirp when going over bumps/potholes

Well, my Clio's MOT is rapidly approaching so this is an expense I can do without right now, today I've spent over £250 on parts for it just to prep it for the MOT. Anyway...

I noticed earlier that the car is making a 'chirp' noise when I drive over bumps/potholes or down bumpy roads. Took the car home, pushed down on each corner of it to 'bounce' the suspension and it was silent and rebounded as expected. Had the bonnet open when I did this and didn't see any movement or hear any noise from the top mounts either.

Took it out for a drive again to try to narrow down where the noise was coming from, and all I can figure out is that the chirping noise coming from the front end but I can't figure out exactly where. Not even which side! Seems slightly louder when the nearside wheel hits a bump but its still present when the offside wheel hits a bump aswell.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Sounds like you've got a bird's nest in your arch
liner ;)

Could it be something like a loose nut on the top mount?

Eg- when you go over a pothole, it pushes the whole shock up. But when you push down there won't be enough speed/force.

Just a thought. If you've got coilovers on just see if the nuts will tighten up a bit.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the power steering switch. Check to see if it's leaking fluid. I replaced mine and the random squeak stopped.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I'm guessing its due to the fact that the plastic material in the centre of it comes loose causing the random squeak.

Could be wrong but it's worth a check.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Happens on my car (with 6k on the clock)

Happened on my golf, and my brand new mini before that, so i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's something that can happen to most cars :p

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
For me this turned out to be the passenger seat rails.

With a passenger = no squeaking
And without it was fine, mine seemed to happen over lighter bumps, so could amost constantly squeak! Bit of oil fixed it...

182 Trophy #333
Inner or outer ARB bushes?

+1, I had a noise similar to the one you describe on the Trophy, down bumpy roads / over potholes it would chirp / creak, changed the ARB bushes for powerflex ones and the noise has buggered off!