ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chirping noise from engine bay

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Hello all,

Today I have noticed that there is a chirping noise coming from my engine bay. I can hear it when sitting at idle but as soon as I press the accelerator it disappears. It also slows down when I switch the ignition off and the engine is shutting down.

Any ideas at all?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
9321224.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it could be the thrust bearing on the clutch. Easy way yo tell is to push the clutch and see if it goes away. If so, you need a new one at some point (although mine on my mk1 has been going nearly 40Kmiles now chirping away).

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
it could be the thrust bearing on the clutch. Easy way yo tell is to push the clutch and see if it goes away. If so, you need a new one at some point (although mine on my mk1 has been going nearly 40Kmiles now chirping away).
I was sitting in neutral at the time and tried it with the clutch dipped. No change in noise.

Cheers though.

Mec 350 slk manual
I had this it turned out to be the heat shield rubbing on the bottom of the exhaust manifold to the cat .

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Ok so today I am going to inspect the auxiliary belt.

How do I get easiest access to inspect the belt and pulleys? What should I be looking for?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
It seems that the noise is actually coming from the top of the gearbox. Directly under the factory air box there is a chirping/squeak noise. Any ideas guys?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
It seems that the noise is actually coming from the top of the gearbox. Directly under the factory air box there is a chirping/squeak noise. Any ideas guys?
Anyone have a bright idea as to what will be making this noise?

It doesn't seem to get faster with revs and doesn't feel like its affecting the drivability.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Other things it could be is a loose gearbox mount bolt, exhaust or something with the starter setup. Have you tried rocking the engine with the engine off to see if it makes the noise?

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
The noise is audible when driving and when idling, regardless of gear or clutch position. I have a poly dogbone fitted and theres pretty much no movement in the stick.

I have only just noticed this noise since fitting a ktec style induction setup for which I had to remove the battery. Possibly linked to that?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
thats when its most likely to make the noise! its has nothing to do with the gears / which gear your in.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sorry mate didn't see that. I'm with Dan, clutch release bearing is most likely if it's from the gearbox end.

Just check the aux belt as sometimes if it's got a bit wet it could slip and make than noise.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Sorry mate didn't see that. I'm with Dan, clutch release bearing is most likely if it's from the gearbox end.

Just check the aux belt as sometimes if it's got a bit wet it could slip and make than noise.

Is there any way for me to tell for definite that it is this bearing?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
someone else will know better than me I'm afraid.

Do you know anyone local who you 100% trust to give you an honest and reliable opinion. I'd go there as you really couldn't be much further from me on the same piece of land!

Sorry I can't help more

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Is there any way for me to tell for definite that it is this bearing?

there's little else i could be at that end. Clutch release bearing or input shaft bearing are the only 2 I can think of the aren't covered in oil and would make that noise. Like I said before though in post #10, you can normally tell by pressing the clutch pedal as the noise generally goes away / changes when its under pressure.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
there's little else i could be at that end. Clutch release bearing or input shaft bearing are the only 2 I can think of the aren't covered in oil and would make that noise. Like I said before though in post #10, you can normally tell by pressing the clutch pedal as the noise generally goes away / changes when its under pressure.
Today I've had the battery out and checked the gearbox mount. The main bolt was nice and tight, 1 of the 2 smaller bolts was quite loose. All tightened up and reassembled. Unfortunately the squeak is still there.

The noise doesn't seem to change at all regardless of gear or clutch position.

I'm still hoping that it could be something else?

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
You say it doesn't matter if the engine is revving higher or at idle, it stays the same yea??

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
You say it doesn't matter if the engine is revving higher or at idle, it stays the same yea??
Maybe the slightest of differences but certainly not obvious. it squeaks until I shut the engine down. It is definitely passenger side to.

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
Yeah I will be trying it anyway. Have studied Budgies guide and I feel pretty confident. Fingers crossed anyway.