ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing a head, 182 vs 172, replacing the valves and general head replacement

Sell me your 197
Hey guys,

Sorry about all these basic questions, these Clios aren't really like all the other cars i've pulled apart. I can rebuild a small block Chev or a Volvo B23 with my eyes closed, but my eyes are not calibrated for all these cams and all these valves... plus they're not interference motors so i've never dealt with bent valves before!

Here is my situation:

2003 Clio 172 with a snapped timing belt. Seems to have toasted about 8 valves, 6 exhaust and 2 intake. I haven't had a good look at it, i've only just pulled it apart and it is pitch black outside.

I also own a:

2005 Clio 182 cylinder head. 2 busted exhaust valves.

Here are my questions:

Where do I source a headgasket, headbolt and valves kit from?

Regarding repairing the head, Do I

a) buy a new set of valves and get the the valves in the 172 head replaced (all 16)

b) buy a new set of valves and get the the valves in the 182 head replaced (all 16)

c) just replace the valves that are broken (182 head)

d) use good valves from one head to fix the other?

Here are pictures of both the heads. The 172 head has the intake bolted to it, the 182 head does not.

I have also included pictures of the bottom end, it looks nice and spiffy to me, but maybe you guys will see something that I haven't.

dscn1465x.jpg

dscn1466i.jpg

dscn1467ni.jpg

dscn1468l.jpg

dscn1469z.jpg

dscn1470n.jpg

dscn1471yl.jpg

dscn1472w.jpg

If you guys want extra shots of anything just ask. I am not good with camera.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I personally would do all 16 valves. I sent a head off to be remachined, with 6 suspected bent valves. turned out all of them were shot and the guides had been damaged.

Golf GTD Mk7
may as well imo. Exhaust valve guides are notorious for causing issues i'm told. I'm selling a full set of used ones from a 182 which had covered 60,000 miles, head looked as new when removed.

Use whichever head has the least number of cracked guides... They are proper money to replace :(

Didn't think they were that expensive mate. What were you quoted?

GB 182 FF
as a generic price I was given for a 16V head it was just shy of the £200 mark... purely for guides, then the rest of the work you'd want/need doing like cutting the seats etc.

Golf GTD Mk7
I didn't think it was that much to be honest as I was looking at having mine done. Zorst ones need doing really, inlets tend to last longer for some reason, so halves the cost.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
as a generic price I was given for a 16V head it was just shy of the £200 mark... purely for guides, then the rest of the work you'd want/need doing like cutting the seats etc.

ouch. You go to the wrong places. Thats in the region of what it would cost to have the guides all replaced and the seats cut, all in