ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Choosing a URL

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
In the process of starting up a little venture - brand name all decided etc. and just about to get a website going. Now, 'mybrandname'.co.uk is free, however the .com isn't. It goes to some random Japanese website (that's completely different to what I wanna use it for, so no worries about possible confusion!). I'm quite keen on having the .com, and having the .co.uk as a back-up. In my mind it looks more proffesional, and I have aspirations of appealing to an international audience in the future. Also I know a lot of people usually type in .com automatically, so it'd be handy to have both anyway.

Now, I can have both if I put a 'stop word' in - so 'thebrandname.com' and .co.uk are free, and it does make sense. My question is, what's best to do? Just have .co.uk, have both if I add 'the' in, or think up something else (although the brand name can't be changed, so it would have to be something clever that still relates?).

TTRS & V50
Get both if your serious about international, else you'll never be able to get the .com

I can't comment on 'the' insertion as we don't know the brand name, PM if you like.

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Thanks for the advice - I'll drop you a quick PM. As silly as it sounds, you never know if someone will see the URL posted and buy it up! :rasp:

Drop me a pm if you want, but if I were you I'd probably go for the ones with the stop word but also pick up the .co.uk on it's own without the stop word.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for the advice - I'll drop you a quick PM. As silly as it sounds, you never know if someone will see the URL posted and buy it up! :rasp:

I've already bought 'thebrandname.co.uk' and .com and am drafting an invoice to you on my lunch break.

This time next year Rodney......

:coffee:

What is the actual brand name? It's hard to tell if it looks professional or not by adding "the" without knowing what it is!

But by rule of thumb, "brandname".co.uk + .com would be the best.

What is the actual brand name? It's hard to tell if it looks professional or not by adding "the" without knowing what it is!

But by rule of thumb, "brandname".co.uk + .com would be the best.

Adding "the" to the begining of the brand name is actually quite smart and goes well. Similarly though brand-name with the dash also goes well.

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I've already bought 'thebrandname.co.uk' and .com and am drafting an invoice to you on my lunch break.

This time next year Rodney......

:coffee:

You snooze you lose, eh! ;)

Cheers for the advice so far everyone. The consensus is so far that adding 'the' at the beggining works just fine, but as Addicted said, I'd be much happier with brandname.co.uk and .com, but it's just not possible.

I'm also considering thinking of a short two - three work slogan that maybe I could use? I've noticed a few brands do that. For example, www.respecttradition.com or something memorable. The issue then is people confusing that for the brand name...it's a minefield it seems!

Also starting to come round to hyphenating (brand-name.com), but heard its a bit of a controversial one? Possible SEO issues, whether it still looks proffesional, usability issues etc.

Last edited: