ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Chrome paint!

Cooper S JCW
Has anyone used chrome paint on any of the car plastics and got good results?

if so can you give me an outline of the process and products that you used please

I want to renew the look of a set of the chrome finish 2.0 16v badges

Thanks for your time ;)

Chocolate Bar™
to be honest it just looks like high power silver nothing like chrome really. If its the halfrauds stuff just sand complelty, plastic filler prime, sand again, colour and lots of coats of laquer :)

if u need to know anything specific just let me know ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You can't get chrome paint , you can get paint that says its chrome or chrome effect but its fcuk all like chrome .Don't be fooled by the colour on the lid of the aerosols of paint such as plastikote cos you won't ever get a finish like that .

Cooper S JCW
Sorry MrBilly - I have gone for the Plastikote Chrome Finish and they look quite good so far - not as reflective as the colour on the lid but better than normal paint. It is quite difficult to get an even layer to finish on though!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Have you used any lacquer over the plastikote chrome ? It usually goes darker when you lacquer it or use plastikote sealer . The lid is a bit misleading imo , it looks like the finish will be a high chrome finish .

Cooper S JCW
MrBilly - do I have to use lacquer with this or can I just leave it as is? if I have to use lacquer which is best the plastikote sealer or normal lacquer?

Thanks matey

Chocolate Bar™
plastikote sealer is best. however its an enamel type finish, so should last fairly well without the sealer. using the sealer will make it go to a satin silver effect like the standard mk2 2.0 16v badges

Cooper S JCW
I would prefer to lacquer it but if it goes wrong/tarnishes then you have to remove/repaint it. If it is just paint then you can just spray again over the top after cleaning!

Decisions, decisions!

Cooper S JCW
Here's the pics. Not looking too bad so far one more sand and coat then maybe the sealer?!?
ChromeBadges009.gif

ChromeBadges004.gif

Cooper S JCW
I have just put one layer of sealant on and it has dulled them down like you said it would MrB. Looks like silver paint now. I couldn't leave it as just the paint as it picked up grease marks really easily.