ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R

I just had a test drive in a civic type r, it had 17000miles on the clock.

It was a 52 plate silver and in mint condition, i was thinking of doing a part exchange with my Cup. It currently costs £14000.

To be honest with you the cup feels faster to 60, i managed to take the type r to 120. The engne sounds fantastic it was a pleasure to drive. I am stuck in two minds i dont know what to do.

Without causing world war 3 i do prefer the cup, The cup definately feels faster to 60 and about evens to 120. Its not all about speed, but comfort, handling etc. We all have our tastes

There was no torque steer in the type r, handling was great, it has a light clutch, and is very easy to drive. The interior was nice and simple and the car looks great.

The problem is i dont think i want to exchane the cup for it, they are both very similar in performance and handling, but the cup feels more brutal and has more power in lower revs.

What should i do, its driving me nuts.

Please please help me, any advice would be great.

Should i part exchange or keep the cup.

sound like you wana keep the cup! so keep it. only get the civic if you really want it, otherwise u wil regret it.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Depends what your after really!

I just couldnt bear the thought of problems with my Clio once the warranty ran out (the Clio doesnt come with 3 year manufacturers warranty only the first year) and the rattles were doing my head in!! Hence why I went for the Type R! They are 2 very different cars so you have to rate them on their separate merits. But I would say the Honda Dealer I go to is 100000000 times better than the utter crap that I took the Clio to!!

I was after confident motoring and IMO that what the CTR offers over the Clio

Cup 172

I also have similar thoughts of madness on a weekly basis, but I just cannot bring myself to part with an extra 4-5 grand to get a similar age/spec/warranty left CTR. I have to agree with RAY regarding the performance. The cup feels every bit as quick to 100 at least although the CTR I drove felt alot more glued to the road at the rear, and the gearbox is in a different league to the cup.

Until some major problem appears on the cup that pisses me off big time I will stick with it and save the cash. If the pleasure of ownership factor ever dies with the cup it will be traded for a CTR or a Focus RS if Im feeling flush!

14k for a 17000 miles 2 year old car?! You can get them new from Honda for 14800! I think some dealers/owners need to get grip with the price of the CTR but as long as there are MUGS going about paying these prices why should they stop.

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 16 March 2004

I just couldnt bear the thought of problems with my Clio once the warranty ran out (the Clio doesnt come with 3 year manufacturers warranty only the first year) and the rattles were doing my head in!! Hence why I went for the Type R! They are 2 very different cars so you have to rate them on their separate merits. But I would say the Honda Dealer I go to is 100000000 times better than the utter crap that I took the Clio to!!

Clio comes with a 2 year manufacturer warrenty and the last year is "dealer" warranty.

I currently have a silver Clio Sport 172 (02), before that i had a Subaru Impreza WRX STI, then before that a black CTR, and i can honestly say i much prefer my little Clio! much nicer to drive, dont spin as much on the front end, better round corners, faster. Proven down at Elvington and much more for your money.

Honestly matey, stick with the Clio. :>

Oh and they guzzle petrol. So be prepared to drive it without the ITEC as much as possible if you get one. I got just a little more to the gallon in my Scooby... And thats the truth.

Ive been thinking about getting an integra next but am swayed by a cup/172 and less so an Ibiza Cupra R. What do poeple think between these three?

Forget the seat - its dogsh*t - I ve nailed a few, and the leon type r too...just dont have the raw image!

Another thing - the cup is more likley to hold its value in the long term cos they will be rare - the CTR accounted for 50% of hondas civic sales in uk - so theres gonna be a flooded market in 2 or 3 years time!

Another point (again?) everyone bangs on about renault quality - well mine is almost rattle free! heh heh heh. I,ve just had a first service at renault bolton also. My car had one kerbed alloy - nsf. when i went to collect it i noticed that there was a new allony in its place, I enquired at the service desk and they saisd that the mech had scratched it going on the ramp - so they fitted a new un!

And to boot, they knocked 50% off the labour charge for any inconvenience!!

Wahey - someone coming away happy from renault - Wonder if they will swap my bird for a new 182?

Keep the cup!

I loved my CTR but it was harder to live with daily than the cup, youre right about the gearbox though - thats what Ive missed most about it.

the other option is to do what MaLicE suggested and get an RX8, or wait a year or two and get a Golf R32 (thats what Im planning)

:D

/homer simpson mode on/

mmmm 3.2 litre V6

*drools*

/homer simpson mode off/

Quote: Originally posted by RAY 187 on 16 March 2004

I just had a test drive in a civic type r, it had 17000miles on the clock.

It was a 52 plate silver and in mint condition, i was thinking of doing a part exchange with my Cup. It currently costs £14000.

To be honest with you the cup feels faster to 60, (It is!) i managed to take the type r to 120. The engne sounds fantastic it was a pleasure to drive. I am stuck in two minds i dont know what to do. (Have same prob regularly mate!)

Without causing world war 3 i do prefer the cup, The cup definately feels faster to 60 and about evens to 120. Its not all about speed, but comfort, handling etc. We all have our tastes

There was no torque steer in the type r(the sh*tty steering solves that -EVO), handling was great, it has a light clutch, and is very easy to drive. The interior was nice and simple and the car looks great. (Cant argue there!)

The problem is i dont think i want to exchane the cup for it, they are both very similar in performance and handling, but the cup feels more brutal and has more power in lower revs.

What should i do, its driving me nuts.

Please please help me, any advice would be great.

Should i part exchange or keep the cup.
Performance wise the cars are too similer to swap for that alone.

Cup has rareity factor, CTRs are ten a penny (almost!)

Tappd'd RS

Im really liking the sh*ty numb steering on the 2004 CTR, its different to the direct steering of the cup, but I wouldnt say it was crap, just different.

Oh, to answer your question, have them both (wish I had the money to do that - Civic for the week and Cup for the weekend!) ;)

My bro will be selling his 03 Black Type R next week for around the 14000 mark, its done 16,000, if nayones interested PM me!

Oh, and in terms of acceleration it trounces my 172!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 16 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 16 March 2004

Clio comes with a 2 year manufacturer warrenty and the last year is "dealer" warranty.

I think youll find that even in the 2nd year youll have to contribute on certain items...like exhausts etc! So only the first year is a full manufacturers warranty!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Carlouk on 17 March 2004

My bro will be selling his 03 Black Type R next week for around the 14000 mark, its done 16,000, if nayones interested PM me!

Oh, and in terms of acceleration it trounces my 172!
NOw that would be silly seeing as you can get a brand new 04 ctr for 14.800!