ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Classic Clio

It gets mentioned on here and a few other sites about the Trophy being a 'future classic' every so often, which I find a little difficult to understand. To me the only classic is the orginal williams as every other RS Clio is a evolution of the orginal concept and not a fresh idea.

Discuss.

Wasnt the Willams just a slightly different valver with gold wheels? At least the Trophy was truly a limited edition, unlike the Williams :D

Phase 1 172, boxster
Agree, The Williams Will always be the classic one in my opinion, Nothing against the trophy, Think one day it will be a classic as more clios are made

But is it Roy? I mean my Monaco blue 172 was only imported in limited numbers (468) so by that reckoning its a classic to, no?

Tangoed Works
I dont consider any of these to be classics in reality. All they are are low end limited run cars that were spruced up a bit to shift a few more.

Swings and roundabouts IMO.

One could easily argue that all RS Clios are classics. Limited doesn't mean classic, does it?

No it doesn't which is why I've never understood the whole feeling towards the Trophy. Which in the cold light of day is just a spiced up 182 which has been around since the dawn of time.

I don't like them - but a Clio V6 will become a classic that people cherish and maintain. Eventually all other Clio IIs will become rusty s**t boxes building a skyline over scrap yards :) Sad but true.

clio sport 172 ph2
i personally believe that the v6 is a future classic due to its high price tag and the rear engined layout thereare just too many 172 182 etc...

Clio 172 mk2
I don't like them - but a Clio V6 will become a classic that people cherish and maintain. Eventually all other Clio IIs will become rusty s**t boxes building a skyline over scrap yards :) Sad but true.

Not necessarily....lots of Clio 172/182s will be brought by scrotes & written off so good ones will become rarer & rarer.

Yep, totally agree. Bodykits and Laguna engines are classics it would seem.

Not necessarily....lots of Clio 172/182s will be brought by scrotes & written off so good ones will become rarer & rarer.

And eventually end up crushed into a rusty cube. Your point is?

Clio 172 mk2
Classics become classics because a) they are good cars in the first place and b) because there are fewer around in good condition (like antiques) so are therefore more sought after.

Trophy is a 'limited' car so even if it's a tarted up 182 it'll still be desirable in the future as the numbers being written off/scrapped rise.

Clio 172 mk2
Actually, I correct myself...some cars don't even have to be good to be 'classics', look at some of the junk out there that has got that status lol

Yeah granted. Can you imagine anyone restoring a Trophy though in 20 years? Perhaps, perhaps not. Good discussion though :D

Clio 172 mk2
Yeah granted. Can you imagine anyone restoring a Trophy though in 20 years? Perhaps, perhaps not. Good discussion though :D

It'll happen...look at all the old Ford RS models from the late 70/80s being pampered now and being sold for big money

Golf R
a future classic perhaps because it was the last hurrah as far as the existance of small, fun to have hot hatches? much like the Mk1 Golf GTi and Pug 205 GTi perhaps are seen as iconic hot hatches of their era, the Trophy is highly regarded by motoring journalists for achieving something similar to these cars did in the 80s and 90s?

To me the only classic is the orginal williams as every other RS Clio is a evolution of the orginal concept and not a fresh idea.

You sure you've thought this statement through Chris?:S

Clio V6 Mk1 and Mk2 are both sure to be future classics, aren't they?

Have you any idea why they made the Clio V6 in the first place? If not when i've got a couple of hours i'll sit down with you and explain.

Have to agree with part of your original statement though. The Trophy is a great car, and possibly the most complete RS Clio that Renault have built to date - but not a future classic.

All IMHO of course;)

Sorry I'd love pop round for a chat steve but I'm away, I'd forgotten about the V6 which I guess is the exception which proves the rule.

Bot obviously as its so different, it simply wouldn't be fair to judge it in the same sense as the other 2.0 varients.

VaVa
Didn't they make the V6 becuase Renault had heard VW were doing somehting similar with a Polo?!

Heard that somewhere. lol.

Whatever their reason for building it, I'm sure it won't take a couple of hours to explain. I don't hink they spent that long designing the first one. lol.

I don't think they spent that long designing the first one. lol.

Nah, didn't take that long I suppose.........................

..........deposit on my first Clio V6 (a Mk1) placed in September 1998...............

...................Steve finally takes delivery of said car in September 2001.

And it had been on the C.A.D. machine for over a year before it even appeared at the French motor show in 1998, so not long fella:S

VaVa
They took three years to design a car that was relatively underpowered and handled like an elephant on roller skates? Jeez. Doesn't say much for Renault.

;)

Have a guess what Steve drives? Then rethink your last illadvised statement.

Nah Chris, I don't give a monkeys - the man is entitled to his opinion.

And as always, its horses for courses. As you know I love the vee, hence i'm on number 3, but it wouldn't do for us all to have the same tastes, otherwise i'd be boneing your misses:rasp: and his for that matter!

Golf R
is our next meet a throw your keys into the pot type of affair then? i wasnt aware ;) lol

anyways, i've just drifted right off topic!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
willy 1.................... willy 2........................ willy 3..............................................................................................................................................