ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claying advice please !!!

what u put infront of me
I've just bought a one of these meg's clay kit from ne detailing i'm going to be using it on the weekend can anyone give me a little advice of how to do it correctly and maybe some hints as it's going to be my first time using a clay kit and i dont want to balls it up lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGUIARS-QUIK...66:2|39:1|72:1683|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Thank's :D

first thing to do is use search and second is read away

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=418006

Za**** & Xr250R
Just keep on spraying QD, and you'll be fine.

I was told by the man at north east detailing the best thing to use instead of the lubricant provided was a little car shampoo with water and use the megs lubricant as a wax finish would that be ok ???

White clique
Claying is really simple, not easy to c**k it up.

Do smallish sections at a time, wipe off detailing spray before it dries, if you drop it you can actually wash out the grit in cold water (CHECK IT THOROUGHLY THOUGH), use plenty of the spray.

White clique
I was told by the man at north east detailing the best thing to use instead of the lubricant provided was a little car shampoo with water and use the megs lubricant as a wax finish would that be ok ???

The meg kits come with the spray, you can use soapy water too but not great if you live in a hard water area. Its good to keep a small bowl of soapy water on the side so you can occasioanlly clean the clay bar as you go along.

CMR

A ROFLCOPTER

Do smallish sections at a time, wipe off detailing spray before it dries, if you drop it you can actually wash out the grit in cold water (CHECK IT THOROUGHLY THOUGH), use plenty of the spray.

I would never, ever use a claybar thats been dropped :eek:

Don't use the whole clay bar at once, break a third off wet, roll into a ball, flat out wet again and your goodto go.

On wheels and glass maybe, never on paint work. Hence why a lot of people put dust sheets down around the car when claying.

Za**** & Xr250R
Couple of threads recently about this lad.

Car is looking good in the NE meet pics fella :)

Jamie

I always forget about the search tool infact truth is i'm too lazy to use the search tool ;)

Cheer's mate i spent the day before the meet detailing the car and it poured down all night, all my hard work whent down the drain :dapprove:

If the work has gone in to start with, then it will be just a quick wash and back to looking freshly detailed :) general mods are looking top lad :)

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I always drop it into a warm glass of water to soften it up before I start as most people who've experienced problem have used it cold, and marred their paint work.

I also use soapy water in a spray bottle as its just a lubricant and you'll be polishing it afterwards so no need to waste your megs final detail on it.

Another thing I'd consider is using a paint cleanser to remove all the previous polish/wax etc... The last time I was at NE detailing had a good chat with David there and thats what his advice was.

And dont use a clay bar thats been dropped ever!!

For more tips get your self over to detailingworld.

Steve

Steve, just a quick one, tend to find that soapy water has too many oils in it that can make the clay bar/paint work too slippery. You need something that is slick but not to oily.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Never found an issue with the Oily shampoo's either tbh! Water and a capful of shampoo is more than enough tbh?

Currently doing a Porsche in the garage (not a lot to do in the evenings, ya see!), ran out of no16 so used some Megs Shampoo in a spray bottle, not a fan!! Clay barely worked!

120d M Sport
Make sure you hit it with Tar remover on tar spots first, if you try and remove all of them with clay it can easily scratch/marr.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
I just used autoglym or megs nxt shampoo, but would imagine some that contain waxes etc... could limit the lubing ability.

Steve

Still found the stuff clings in certain areas, so usually give it a good going over, especially wheels.

200 FF Storm Grey
Im doing my first detail at the weekend, the lad I bought the car off, his dad went and gave me all his sons stuff, two buckets full of wxes, clays, polishes, all sorts, all german imported stuff

Have I got it right... That its rinse, wash, clay, wash, polish, wax?

Aye that's the stuff lad.

Mate you have no idea, I assure you ;) Try doing one a week, as well as your parents. Eventually people just presume you do it full time (as happened this week). Next door neighbour popped over and asked if I would work on his Porsche while he's away . . . so sod the gym this week! Work -> home to work on the paintwork -> internet/halfords for more products!

Za**** & Xr250R
Aye that's the stuff lad.

Mate you have no idea, I assure you ;) Try doing one a week, as well as your parents. Eventually people just presume you do it full time (as happened this week). Next door neighbour popped over and asked if I would work on his Porsche while he's away . . . so sod the gym this week! Work -> home to work on the paintwork -> internet/halfords for more products!

I'm off to halfords then :) what do you use to apply and remove the stuff mate ???

From Halfords, Megs sponge applicator. They're not bad, I have better things but they are more expensive and ordered online.

Remove with a plush MF. Make sure you use as little as poss so it barely shows. If you heap it on then it will be a bugger to take off and you are likely to put marks in the paint work.

200 FF Storm Grey
Did this at the weekend unsure if I did it correctly though, I used a little bit of lubricant :)|) and the clay wouldnt move over the paintwork at all, sprayed some more and it became almost to easy that I thought there wasn't enough friction there to have any effect, should it glide easily or should it be hard work?

When I finished the car was covered in the clay residue, then washed it off and polished

I should be easy fella. You need enough lubricant so that it glides over the paint work. However, you can still use too much lubricant. Having said that, it is quite hard work as you push backwards and forwards quite a lot, so tends to take a while/knacker you out!!

The car should be covered in lubricant residue; there really should not be too many parts of the clay on the paint work :S Is this what you meant?

200 FF Storm Grey
No not clumps of clay, just mean loads of streaks like a 5 year old has ran around it with muddy hands lol

Ha, yeah, OK that's good then. Best thing fella is to actually listen to the paint/action across the surface. You will be able to tell if you have succeeded as the paint work will be smooth/not catch/sound like running your hands over glass, rather than sand paper.

Za**** & Xr250R
I also did my yesterday and all whent well until a thunder storm came over i got all the car done apart from the tailgate :S The paint work is like glass now also i used 3-4's of the megs lubricant did i use too much do you think ???