ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

claying..whats it all about!!

hi everyone here alot of this claying stuff going around just wondered what it is and is in any good does it damage the paint work in anyway??

RS Clio 200
doesnt damage the paint at all..
its a synthetic clay which you rub over the pain to remove spots of tar, tree sap and other crap which bonds to the paint suring every day use.... it also removed wax and polish, and therefore leaves a perfectly smooth surface of paint ready for polishing, sealing and waxing.

only need to do it once every 6 months max really

A slow one :-(
ish but it is well worth it IMO! A must if your going to do a "propper" detail on your car. You can pick up a megs set from Halfords for 20 quid. Maybe cheaper to check out some of the kits on the online traders such as cleanyoucar, serious performance etc!

I clay'd my dads A4 at the weekend! f**k me it was a dirty biatch... but looks so much better. It could probably do with another clay but tbh I couldn't be bothered! He treats it like s**t and I wasn't prepared to waste my cash/time any further on it.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
The best clay is the blue Clay Magic kit. It comes with a 100g bar so enough for 4 cars. Meguiars are reducing the size of the Clay shortly in teh regular Quick Clay Kits I believe down to 50g!

Definately worth doing though and you'll really 'feel' the difference.

Tim

106 GTi
It also can technically can damage your paint - as people have found when it instills very fine marks that need to be polished out.

Make sure the clay is clean, warm, the car washed well, and plenty of lubrication used!

Yeah watch out - if you drop the clay on the ground then throw it away - also if the car has any little stones or dirt and it picks it up then they can also scratch the paint work.

Personally the danger of marking the paint work is not worth the difference the clay makes. I just use the Megs paint cleaner before a polish and wax. The final result is really good and I can't see the clay making a huge difference unless your paint work is very contamined to begin with.

lol cheers guys bit worried about the possible paint damage etc as my car is nearly 6 years old but it could do with claying maybe as it may have alot of contamination he he

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
lol cheers guys bit worried about the possible paint damage etc as my car is nearly 6 years old but it could do with claying maybe as it may have alot of contamination he he

You'll be fine, m8. I think to date, I'm the only person on CS who has had horrendous results from claying.

Odds like that are definitely in your favour for it to work ok!

D.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
This may sound like a silly question but how hard do you need to press on the clay bar to get good results?! I don't want to push too hard as I'm scared it might cause scratching!!

I appreciate the fact that you have to use lots of lube ;)! If I buy a Megs kit from Halfords how long will the lube last (one bottle per clay)!?

RB 182
This may sound like a silly question but how hard do you need to press on the clay bar to get good results?! I don't want to push too hard as I'm scared it might cause scratching!!

I appreciate the fact that you have to use lots of lube ;)! If I buy a Megs kit from Halfords how long will the lube last (one bottle per clay)!?

Not a great deal of pressure needed as you need it to glide across the paintwork instead of forcing it.

I think from memory I did about 2 cars with the lube from the kit but you can use quick detailer or a shampoo and water mix.

106 GTi

I would just use a shampoo and water mix in a spray bottle rather than the QD supplied.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

I would just use a shampoo and water mix in a spray bottle rather than the QD supplied.

Which shampoo (something cheap like turtle wax or a little more expensive like poorboys) mate or does it not matter!?

What dilution ratio?

Cheers for the help

ST
Synthetic anti static QD Richard...

As said before - you have to much money if you can waste QD on claying duties ;)

Lol....whats a few quid for QD matey...

I seen my uncles navy blue 330ci after claying with not enough lube....he said it'd be fine with some car shampoo and water in a bottle...clearly he never mixed it properly as i'd never seen so much maring and swirling on a car!!

Now he doesn't skimp on QD for clay detailing after it took 2 attempts with the sonus SFX range to put right.

RB 182
What clay bar are you using? I found the Sonus Green fell apart in my hands and that was using proper lube as well.

M135i
was just using a run of the mill megs one. im about to order some detailing stuff. was thinking about getting a Sonus Green too :)