ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clean pics... but summit a bit different

172beast

Not a Renault I know but thought you lot might appreciate seeing summit different to a clean 172 or valver for a change. Used to have a mk1 172 myself but fancied a change so 5/6 months back I sold it and bought a GTI-6. Since then its been polished once and waxed weekly to build up some layers of protection. Yesterday I took the time to hoover it, polish the dash and clean/fed the leather. The leather has come up like new, it started to get a bit dull, has that new car feel and smell again now. Few hours well spent!

resized_21-11-05010.gif

resized_21-11-05009.gif

resized_21-11-05012.gif

resized_21-11-05016.gif

resized_21-11-05019.gif

resized_21-11-05023.gif

resized_21-11-05018.gif

Seats aren't to everyones taste I know but I choose to live with it as the rest of the car is mint, literally not 1 dent or ding or stone chip anywhere, not bad for a early 97 car. Also the dodgy seats mean its a early 97 which means no side impact airbags, less weight and bigger bolsters. Mods so far... nowt bar a decent panel filter and nowt planned bar a few trackdays and a trip to the ring.

172beast

Nice motor Lee, how do you find it compared to the Trophy? Compared to my old mk1 172, the 6 is a whole league ahead, much more communicative steering, much more precise and a lot more fun, I'm finally gettin used to the passive rear wheel steer an all. The mk1 172 isn't as good handling wise as a Trophy I know but how would you compare it with the 6?

Lee

BMW M2C
It's hard for me to compare it to the Trophy as I had the 6 back in 1999!! What I do remember is the amazing steering, and awesome handling. You could actually feel the passive rear wheel steering guiding round roundabouts. Compared to the 172 and 182 with Cup packs I've owned I'd say the Pug still felt a better more involving car. The Trophy and also the 172 Cup are a lot closer and would be very hard to call a winner in terms of pure driving pleasure.

It's taken long enough, but the Trophy is the first car I've had that lives up to the 6, and even betters it in some ways.

172beast

1 thing I miss, frantic 0-60 time of my old 172, felt like it was ripping the car to bits booting it in 1st and 2nd... which I kinda guess it was as I had a few "issues" with various gearboxes in it lol

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
nice cars them gti6's. That one looks A1! You need to get the bucket and an old toothbrush out though and clean the plastic heel protector underneath the pedals! lets the otherwise mint interior down!!

172beast

Passive rear wheel steer, pretty much elminates understeer, when your pushing hard lateral force causes bushes on the rear wheels to flex making the rear wheels turn in ever so slightly. Its took me a while to get used to it, at first it feels like its oversteering when really its just causing the nose to tuck in nicely, once used to its very very good, as close as you'll get to rwd in a fwd car.

172beast

Just the 6, can you imagine grandma gertrue driving her 306 HDi to Sainsburys with rear wheel steer kicking in on a roundabout lol

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
i can see a bit of dust round that pug badge mate!!! lol

wicked car, i like it a lot! very smooth drive, and its quick too! handles very very well too!!

172 /megane cab
dont the s16 s have the rear steer as well one of my mates had one sure that did it as well . he was all ways changing the coils on it sorry just not a fan tho of them dont think they look too good my self