ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning sticky interior trim

Clio182
I’ve probably missed it in the forums but I’m looking for the best way to take that stickiness off the interior trim in my 182.

IPA?
All purpose cleaner?
White spirits?

Advice welcome!

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
I’ve probably missed it in the forums but I’m looking for the best way to take that stickiness off the interior trim in my 182.

IPA?
All purpose cleaner?
White spirits?

Advice welcome!

You've maybe done it by now but sure I seen Dettol mentioned on here! Try that.

“Elbow Grease “ is the product most often recommended, but I found washing-up liquid also works. The key is to use a scouring pad.

Clio 182
Isn't this a layer of the plastic? I thought it needs to be chemically removed and the part painted or something.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I’m just in the lacquer sealing phase of these. One coat on already - I’ll put another on later this evening....

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
The sticky layer is the clear, soft sealing coat.

You have the bare plastic, a metallic colour then the top coat (the bit that goes sticky)

If you go ham with a scouring pad you’ll take off the colour coat too (I’ve done this with just IPA and a cloth)

Some manage to take off the sticky top coat only with cleaning products but I found that way too tedious. I got out the IPA and it was working fast but then I went through the colour coat.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I’ve just bought a Stanton CDJ deck and the jog wheel on it was very sticky just like the plastics on my old 182.

I bought some isopropyl alcohol off Amazon and it got rid of sticky coating without any elbow grease whatsoever.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
What dilution did you buy/use?

99.9% pure

image.jpg

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I used IPA on the center section of the dash. Works well and is relatively safe for electronics. Just be careful about getting it on the rest of the dash as it'll take the shine off the plastic. Also, as previously mentioned, don't scrub too hard or use anything too abrasive as the blue sparkly paint underneath is not that tough and you'll end up with bare patches.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Just stripped down an old Fanatec steering wheel cos the silicone coating stuff has failed (it's about 10 years old, not sure if its just age or if it got hit by some Mr Sheen and that's done it?!).

Have tried some diluted alcohol but will hit it harder this time. :unsure: