ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning Tar Spots

Golf GT & A4 Avant
The cills, lower doors and rear bumper seem to be covered in little tar sports or something similar that I can't seem to remove.

Any advice on what to use, Ive tried my mild degreaser I use on my mountain bike but it won't remove the worst of it

I tried a tar remover and it didn't work too well. Best thing I found was to use some polish and keep rubbing over them, eventually they came off.

106 GTi
If the Tar Remover is not working you can shear them off using some Paintwork Clay.

Repeated applications of the AG Tar Remover always seem to work though for me.

Clio 182, 911, Exige
Agreed AG Tar Remover does work, just need to be a little patient and reapply if it doesn't at first melt the tar

Renault Clio S
I would go with AG Tar Remover first of all as it's worked or me, removing tar spots from the bonnet and roof. It does require patience though, and in some cases 3 - 4 aplications, especially along the cills.

Choose a warm day to do as well. If your car has been left in the sun and the bodywork is warm to touch, this should wake it easier to shift from the bonnet, roof, etc. Don't apply the product while in direct sunlight though.

Renault Clio S
Maybe the Colour Fast T-Cut products, but not the original stuff which will remove oxidisation, but it will also dry out the paint surface and cause fading. Possibly because of the ammonia it contains, but not 100% sure. I failed Chemistry :(

106 GTi
I just apply it with a microfiber cloth going around the car and and allow it to soak into the tar spots. When you get round to the start again see if it has softened up the tar enough and wipe it away, repeat as needed. I tend to rewash the car after as I am anal lol

I just apply it with a microfiber cloth going around the car and and allow it to soak into the tar spots. When you get round to the start again see if it has softened up the tar enough and wipe it away, repeat as needed. I tend to rewash the car after as I am anal lol

lol, thanks for that.

Does the tar remover take the polish/wax off as well? Does it need to be re-polished afterwards?

106 GTi
ummm ok!

No just been realistic, why would you want to cut back clearcoat with heavy polishing just to remove tar ? Removing the tar is one thing removing your clearcoat at the same time each to there own.

Tar spots are an above the surface defect which should removed with either a tar remover or clay to get them of the surface.

Polishes should used to correct below the surface defects such as swirl marks and scratches.

As you found it the above does work, but if you crack out compounds like T Cut every time you want to remove tar spots don't cry when you have no lacquer left. Overkill as said.

BLACK 197!!
Maybe the Colour Fast T-Cut products, but not the original stuff which will remove oxidisation, but it will also dry out the paint surface and cause fading. Possibly because of the ammonia it contains, but not 100% sure. I failed Chemistry :(

t-cut takes them off a treat..

Overkill though IMO - Thats is a bit like using a spade to eat your pudding though. If you just need to just remove tar don't remove that and your clearcoat at the same time.

Overkill though IMO - Thats is a bit like using a spade to eat your pudding though. If you just need to just remove tar don't remove that and your clearcoat at the same time.

Got to agree with Rich

ur are all blethering a lot of pish!!!!
i used it just about a week ago on my car removed all tar sots few lil scratches to and the clear coat is still there!!!

BLACK 197!!
ummm ok!

No just been realistic, why would you want to cut back clearcoat with heavy polishing just to remove tar ? Removing the tar is one thing removing your clearcoat at the same time each to there own.

Tar spots are an above the surface defect which should removed with either a tar remover or clay to get them of the surface.

Polishes should used to correct below the surface defects such as swirl marks and scratches.

As you found it the above does work, but if you crack out compounds like T Cut every time you want to remove tar spots don't cry when you have no lacquer left. Overkill as said.

do i look like im fuckin stupid im not going to tcut my car every week...im jus giving my opinion of how i got them off because the clay bar didnt work if you had a silver car u would notice the clay bar doesnt completely remove them it jus smoothes them out...
as usual u bunch of blethering idiot think that u know best!!!!!knobs

106 GTi
Just given you a proper reply above. As I said it works, but over your cars life span doing that every time you need to remove tar spots then see what happens.

I won't even get onto the fact T Cut is a s**t old fashioned abrassive which installs small fine marks removing the larger one, lucky your car is silver and they wont show up. Try it on dark colour sometime.

Don't take offence that your don't like other peoples opinions on what process are correct, there just are better products and processes to remove just the Tar and not the Tar and Clearcoat together at the same time. As to which is the correct way each to there own.

CS Dungeon
ummm ok!

do i look like im f**kin stupid im not going to tcut my car every week...im jus giving my opinion of how i got them off because the clay bar didnt work if you had a silver car u would notice the clay bar doesnt completely remove them it jus smoothes them out...

Yes........But then you are a jock c**t...............I bet your ginger and stink of piss too

Renault Clio S
Now, does this have to get personal? I've always considered the Detailing forum to be one big friendship club. I mean, were people insulting each other like this whilst detailing at FSC? I doubt it. Would have been if they had though.

BLACK 197!!
do i look like im f**kin stupid im not going to tcut my car every week...im jus giving my opinion of how i got them off because the clay bar didnt work if you had a silver car u would notice the clay bar doesnt completely remove them it jus smoothes them out...

Yes........But then you are a jock c**t...............I bet your ginger and stink of piss too

nae fuckin need for that u asshole!!!! Thats just being racist!!!

Last edited:
  Mito Sportiva 135
To be fair that could be considered racist, although your offensive comments were just as bad.

If you don't agree with Rich's advice (or other peoples for that matter) that is fine, but some people on here really know what they are talking about on here and, despite what you say, Tar Remover is best for removing tar and T Cut WILL remove clear coat, although not just after the rare use.

We are all here for the love of being car detailing geeks and do not appreciate abuse for advice being given (free of charge I might add! ;))

BLACK 197!!
To be fair that could be considered racist, although your offensive comments were just as bad.

If you don't agree with Rich's advice (or other peoples for that matter) that is fine, but some people on here really know what they are talking about on here and, despite what you say, Tar Remover is best for removing tar and T Cut WILL remove clear coat, although not just after the rare use.

We are all here for the love of being car detailing geeks and do not appreciate abuse for advice being given (free of charge I might add! ;))

i agree with your comments but some people think they know more than everyone else and just dont want to listen to what anyone else has to say i have been cleaning cars for years and this is wot i found to work better and yes i have used ag tar remover and thought it was pish..i will apologise for any offensive comment but i wont apologise to the detailer that was bang out of order he is just being a complete wanker for saying that.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Your an angry man eh?!

I use AG tar remover as well, seems to work well, also use it for removing things like number plate stickers and teh crap left behind after debadging

BLACK 197!!
i do apologise i have a short fuse at the moment caused by stopping smoking but some people would rather take the piss rather than listening to peoples comments.

Clio 182 :)
To stay in the subject, AG Tar Remover is definitely the best thing to use on your car, I removed 1 kg of tar on my dad's Golf yesterday with it...

You just need to be patient, and there you go ;)

And Polishing is definitely the stupidest thing to do to remove tar spots :rasp:

Nissan 350z
Lol this thread.

My 2 cents. Clean damp cloth + White spirit. You will see those spots litterally wash away. Be sure to completely clean the area afterwards :)

titanic killer
Tardis is your friend as i used to use ag tar remover and swapped to tardis and you'l defo never look back so much easier,
Were some would take 3 attempts with AG only needs once with the Tardis

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
PMSL at this thread!!! Roid rage!!!!!

Anyway AG tar remover is fine. I tend to squirt the stuff from the bumpstrips down, in a line along each panel. Leave 5 mins, and watch the tar just melt away. Then i tend to re wash the car, and SRP/EGP. I find clay is a bit heavy ahnded imo, as the tar can become embedded in the clay, and can scratch if not being careful.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
ummm ok!

Seriously dude, if you don't like/value/appreciate someone's opinion (who, for the record has a proven track record of being right) why would you bother asking any questions?!.... lol