ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clicking noise when turning on full lock

was 172 Cup now 197
HI Everyone,

My 172 cup has just started making a strange noise when turning. Was parking last night so was turning the wheel lock to lock and noticed a clicking noise. It sounds like metal hitting metal but it is not a heavy cluncking noise (like the strut porblem/feature that i also have!) this is a lighter sound. Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Tom

Recaro'd 182
i also have that problem lol, i thought it may be power steering pump too, need to take in it under warranty at mo

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Let me know...as my car is doing similar...it is fine when driving...but when trying to park up...its a pain in the ar$e!

S2 106 GTI
Mine has just started doing this too! :S mines getting a service nxt week so my mate having a look to see if there's anything.

as you said its like a click noise when you turn it on to full lock each way.

Renault Clio 182
Was in Renault today with another problem (rear dampers!) and mentioned this to them, they said it is nothing to worry about as it is a design fault on 172/182s, something to do with the suspension and clearance on full lock - still may be worth asking reno if there is a fix!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Was in Renault today with another problem (rear dampers!) and mentioned this to them, they said it is nothing to worry about as it is a design fault on 172/182s, something to do with the suspension and clearance on full lock - still may be worth asking reno if there is a fix!

The issue is though, that it wasn't there when I got the car, so what has changed to cause the noise? Admittedly, more miles are on the car...but its gotta be something, as its doing my head in, and when you're parking people seem to think that your car is a shed because of the noise it makes!

Any more ideas???

:bump:

was 172 Cup now 197
Well its comforting to know other people are having the same problem! Bit strange it seems to have just happened to a lot of people. Would be good if people could post any feedback they get from reno or any other garages. I'm going to try and get someone to have a look at mine at the weekend. Hope it's nothing expensive :dapprove:

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

I don't think that its the strut knocking as you'd probably hear that when pulling off...it happens when you're parking. As in you're not moving v.fast, so the power steering is having to work. Once you are moving...it isn't an issue. I know where you're coming from...but I honestly don't think that it is this (although I could be proved wrong!) ;)

:bump:

was 172 Cup now 197
Agreed dont think its that. I've go that problem as well and have had it the whole time i've owned the car (18 mths) . This has only just started and is a very different sound. Anyone else got any ideas??

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Mine also have that TOC in the right side when are parking or pulling away in 1st gear, I will trying changing the lower arm with bushes and ball joint

Regards

S2 106 GTI
funny how it only does this when you are driving at a snails speed when parking up?? but when moving slightly faster and turning the wheel it doesn't do it?! mine does it right on cue when reversing out of my drive! :dapprove:

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Mine also have that TOC in the right side when are parking or pulling away in 1st gear, I will trying changing the lower arm with bushes and ball joint

Regards

Let us know how you get on. :)

funny how it only does this when you are driving at a snails speed when parking up?? but when moving slightly faster and turning the wheel it doesn't do it?! mine does it right on cue when reversing out of my drive! :dapprove:

If you refrain from steering when you are trickling along...and give it a little more gas (ie if I turn the wheel...then straighten up while still moving)...there is no noise! (even though its only a couple of miles per hour!)

FF Black 182 + Cup Packs
I am having the same problem, again only at slow speeds. I went to renault yesterday and my car is booked in for may 3rd. they didnt seem too sure what the issue is though.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
sounds 100% like a CV joint to me.. new driveshaft i'm afraid!

which side is it coming from?

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
actually i just read the whole thread, maybe not..

is it when turning the steering wheel or when your driving at full lock?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
actually i just read the whole thread, maybe not..

is it when turning the steering wheel or when your driving at full lock?

Its when you're parking...not actually moving, and sounds like a bang/click and is only when manoeuvring (sp) into a parking space!

I've had the problem for over a year now... always on full lock when crawling out of my drive... sounds to me lilght the spring clicking as it turns or something... just assumed its as the car is low. Nothings fallen off yet.

Black 172
mines started doing this too :( local garage said they couldnt find anything... just renault symphony i guess!

Black 172
no its definitely coming from somewhere in the engine bay, thing is i put the front up on axle stands and the noise didnt happen when the front was off the ground... its not really on full lock either, just before. only thing i could think of would be the steering rack, but it should still happen when its lifted off the ground if this was the case. also thought it could be the springs but garage said they've checked it all whilst up on the ramp. any ideas?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

was told this too. got my car at 25k its now done 70k with no probs

S2 106 GTI
does it only start doing it when you get to a certain mileage?? bits start falling off and going wrong lol

S2 106 GTI
:bump: any more news on this problem? a garage nxt door at work had a quick listen and he said it could be the UV joint in the steering? the noise is coming down the back of the engine?