ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Climate control issues

2003 Clio 172
Unfortunately the climate control in my 172 is not working correctly. It generally blows cool air, regardless of what you do with the temperature control. Occasionally it will blow hot for short periods of time, particularly if you turn the engine off and restart it, although after a minute or two it generally goes back to cool.
I removed the interior temperature sensor and fan in the interior light fitting last week to clean it as fan was noisy. The fan doesn't work at all now and I have a feeling I may have damaged the sensor circuit board as it is quite fragile. I've only had the car a week, but I'm pretty sure I could change the temperature between hot and cool before I messed with the sensor. I think the exterior temperature sensor in the passenger mirror is also malfunctioning as it is generally reading 50-60 degrees. Are either or both these things likely culprits? I have a replacement exterior temp sensor to go in the mirror, but have not bought an interior climate sensor/fan yet.

2003 Clio 172
It could be the cog on the motor has broken. This has happened on two of the three Clio 172/182’s I’ve owned and this fix has solved it. It’s a pain to get to but generally easy to fix.
If you scroll down this link you’ll see the pictures of how to sort it with a small cable tie or similar and some glue.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/only-hot-air-out-of-heater.308548/
I've been doing research and the cog issue seems to be very common. I've got a new sensor/fan on order, so if that doesn't fix it I'll investigate the cog next.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I've been doing research and the cog issue seems to be very common. I've got a new sensor/fan on order, so if that doesn't fix it I'll investigate the cog next.
Yeah, common. I managed to fix one at work on the car park in a lunch break so not hard at all, did get some looks though being upside down in the drivers seat though. Ha. For a free fix it would be worth a look anyway. Are you replacing the sensor due to a buzzing noise? If so they all do it I think due to the small fan in them.

2003 Clio 172
Yeah, common. I managed to fix one at work on the car park in a lunch break so not hard at all, did get some looks though being upside down in the drivers seat though. Ha. For a free fix it would be worth a look anyway. Are you replacing the sensor due to a buzzing noise? If so they all do it I think due to the small fan in them.
It was buzzing when I got the car so I removed it to try and clean it. I think I've inadvertently damaged it however as it doesn't work at all now. Serves me right for being too heavy handed lol.

2003 Clio 172
So I fitted a new (well from a breakers) temperature sensor just now and it's a lot better. I can go from cool to hot and back again at least. I can still hear a bit of noise from the footwell when I turn the climate off, so I think it's still worth checking the cog and putting a cable tie around it if necessary. Also A/C doesn't work, but that may just need a regass I hope.