ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 1.2 8v conversion, wich is the best engine to go for??

clio 1.2 8v
heyy guys< iam new on here, i am thinking of a conversion to my clio mk2 8v. as it stands its a 1.2 but i was thinking maybe putting something bigger in. as i carnt afford the insurance on a faster car and i like doing conversions, i have heard the 1.7 turbo volvo engine has been done, but whats shafts ect do i use?? has anyone done any good conversions for somethings abit quicker to put in. its already lowered ect with a few other mods......

help guyss !!;)

RS6 C7
Dont do a conversion. If you get pulled and they check the engine (which does happen i know a couple of mates who have had theres check) you get done for no insurance. 6 points so you will get banned. Just leave it.

clio 1.2 8v
hmm suppose. well i was maybe thinking of buying something else. and using that on the road and putting the clio on a track after i can find a decent conversion

clio 1.2 8v
but i just want ta do a conversion, do something fun. if i wanted to just buy something fast then i wouldnt have joined to find out your ideas on here.. i dont have alot on moneys and i like to put time into things.

BG 182
Build no claims and a savings account for when you can afford something nicer? We all start low! I began with a mk1 1.4 8v Clio that nearly killed me for a year. Then a 1993 1.4 8v astra for a year and a half before I got my sport.

I'd buy a ph1 172 and personalize it up until you can afford insurance?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
1. building conversions costs more than buying a decent (fast) clio,
2. conversions are harder (impossible) to insure

furthermore, if you want to do something different and like the challenge of doing a conversion, why are you asking what people thing you should do??! pick an engine that hasnt been done and such and try something new.

otherwise the BEST conversion you could do would be an F4Rt. Its probs one of the hardest conversions thats actually been done.

and make sure its insured because if you get pulled over lauching off the lights from 0-60 in 6seconds flat in a car thats registered as a 1.2, theyll be very interested in whats under the bonnet!!

clio
"playing dumb" is all you need, OH im sorry officer i've not long had the car only bought it for a run around for me and the Missus, i bought it off a a small garage in "name your place" The MOT is due soon so i will find out why i can do 60mph in 3 seconds haha! At the end of the day you cant help it if you bought the car like that! If your not a mechanic how would they expect you to know the Engine Capacity on the internal of an engine or how fast it should go! If they persue further...ask them to tell you what size engine is in there and what do i need to do or see to get this fixed. Further that... make them aware that if you had a Walky Talky like them that answers all required questions at the press of a button there would not be a problem, get them laughing ;)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Absolutely stupid advice.

Ignorance isn't an excuse.

^what he said. Insurance will be invalid in the event of something happening. You might not care about losing your car, but being personally sued if for instance you're involved in a fatal RTA... paying that off for the rest of your life and doing time is less appealing to me personally than paying for insurance.

As for a conversion, these days a working 172 is about £1k. Fair play if you fancy doing it but IMO it's just not worth it as you can essentially 'buy one off the shelf'.

Sticking a Megane lump in, or going mad and putting the Volvo engine that fits (I don't know the code) and making it RWD, that would be interesting !!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
if you want to do a conversion then i would buy a second car, like a write of non sport clio. and convert that with it being off the road while you use your current car

then when your insurance is cheaper you can track your second car. best option really, either that or wait, buy a RS clio and mod it