ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1#2 road rally car.

renault clio 172
Hi all. Thinking of possible buying a Clio Rs to you on road rallies. So looking for as much info as possible. How do you lot do away with airbags,abs etc. Are they any good as a road rally car. Reliability is a must

renault clio 172
What do you lot do with the abs on the 182 that are used on track. I have read the the speedo runs off the wheel speed sensor. Does the Clio 182 gearbox have a take off to run a speed sensor?

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I'm not entirely sure, but I use a 172 Cup as my road rally car, and it has no ABS from factory. They are usually pretty reliable, so long as you don't absolutely hammer the stock gearboxes. In terms of removing airbags, drivers one comes out with the steering wheel, and the passengers one is easy to remove if you take the dashboard top off. I'm pretty sure the speedo doesn't run off the wheel speed sensor, as the cup has no wheel speed sensors, but can't say for sure.
One thing that would make it a lot better is a LSD, as it's fairly easy to spin up the inside wheel, especially in the wet. The car is a weapon for road rallies though, can keep up with anything.

renault clio 172
I appreciate the reply. Your right from what I have read the cup has no wheel speed sensors hence no abs and has its speed signal from the gearbox. But the 182 has abs and uses the abs as a speed signal also. The reason I ask about a 182 is there is more choice when looking to purchase. And I'm a fussy bigger when it comes to buying cars

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Ah, that's odd, I would have thought the two would read their speed in the same way... Yeah, there are a lot of 182's around, and 172's are quite old now, mine's 12 years old!