ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16V Mark1 questions..

Hi all

New member with my first post so be gentle!

Had my 16V for about 5 years and its stating to look a bit tatty. Its either do it up or scrap it. Guess which one I prefer;)

Anyways first I need to sort a couple of things out. First I have had the steering pump and recently the steering rack replaced because they were knackerd but that has still left me with a wobbling in the steering at high speeds. I have checked the tracking and balancing and even swapped the front alloys with the backs but it has made no difference, any ideas?

A minor problem I have had ever since I have had the car is that 2 of my 3 oil gauges dont work! Only the Pressure one does something. I have looked hard at my Haynes manual but it makes no mention of any sensor i could replace. How do they work?

Anyway loving the site, im sure ill be a frequent visitor from now on.

Cheers

-=ScAtMaN=-

B

Bennyboy

hello scatman, does the wobbling get worse when youre braking? if so, youve got warped front brake discs....you need new ones and pads aswell.

the oil level gauge should only come on for maybe 5 seconds when you start the engine, then it drops to zero. your pressure gauge is working so thats just leaves the oil temp, probably the sensor but i cant remember where that one is on the engine...anyone else know?

B

Bennyboy

eh?...oh yeah i remember now....ski-ba-bop-ba-dop-bop-scoobie-oobie doobie-singy-outty-me-arsy

BMW 320d Sport

Oil gauge problems can be a real pain in the arse cos they could happen at the senders themselves, anywhere along the wiring loom, or at the actual gauge pod. Best bet is whip the pod out and try a different one in there, get one from a scrappy.

Quote: Originally posted by Bennyboy on 17 September 2003

eh?...oh yeah i remember now....ski-ba-bop-ba-dop-bop-scoobie-oobie doobie-singy-outty-me-arsy
Ah thank god! Someone as sad as me;)

Bennyboy:

No it does not appear to get worse as I brake. It only develops as I hit around 70 - 80 and then not all the time. Anymore ideas???

I know a good breaker with the exact clone of my car sitting in its yard which I have been liberally knicking parts from, ill try them for a new gauge pod.

Bumder With A Buffer

the oil temp sensor is located at the front of the engine either above (cant remember which) or below the oil filter . right pain in arse to get to though.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 18 September 2003

wobbling at speed?

buckled wheel?
My fronts have been kerbed a few times and are not in the best knick but swapping the fronts for the backs made no difference.

Quote: Originally posted by ScAtMaN on 18 September 2003

Bennyboy:

No it does not appear to get worse as I brake. It only develops as I hit around 70 - 80 and then not all the time. Anymore ideas???

I know a good breaker with the exact clone of my car sitting in its yard which I have been liberally knicking parts from, ill try them for a new gauge pod.

check for sale page 2, various bits in there u will find a set of phase1 oil guages!

very keenly priced i might add!

clio 20v

the oil level an temp sensor is in one afaik so more than likely that

its on the front of the block, bonnet an rad hav to come out to get to it

adi

Clio 182 w/ cup packs

Wobbling could be down to dodgy bushes and ball joints, I had the same problem on my old car.

If you are booting it from 1st to 2nd, does the steering wheel kick to one side? if so then it could be ball joints or something in that area rather than buckled wheels

I had the problem with the oil gauges when I bought my valver. For some reason a diode and a couple of tracks on the PCB behind the dials had burnt out.

Really easy/cheap to fix as long as youre ok with basic soldering, get a replacment diode from Maplin or somewhere (I got mine out of an old radio) and bridge the burnt out PCB tracks with some wire. Never had a problem with it since.

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 20 September 2003

Didnt you have my oil gauges for a tenner Adi?
yeh thats cos id borrowed a set of dials but from a ph 1 with orange needles from the breakers and thort id see if the needles come off easily and broke the one on the level gauge on my set

turned out it still didnt work with new dials so changed sensor but still needed a new set of dials to replace broken 1

adi

Scatman, did you replace track rod arms when rack was changed (not sure does new rack come with new control arms fitted) but the inner joint on these wears and can cause the symptoms you are describing