ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 Brakes & Suspension - Upgrading

Hi all,

Did a rather successful track day on friday in my full fat 172.
Its standard bar a k-tec stealth system, k&n panel filter and removed acoustic valve and DOT 5.1 fluid.

It performed brilliantly on the standard suspension and quite well on the standard brakes.

I had one moment of horror when my brake pedal went to the floor as i over cooked the brakes and ended up squirming all over the track onto the infield. luckily nothing was harmed or broken, bar the colour of my boxers. :dead:

Basically the track day has highlighted the fact that my clio is in need of a brake upgrade. its completely standart bar the dot 5.1 fluid.

i have used the search function and noticed there is a big argument about 4pots being overkill.

however i'd rather spend my money on a real upgrade instead of just decent pads, discs and braided hoses.

So i'm wanting to know what is the distance between the caliper mounting holes so i can get a set of 4pots and get brackets made to fit them.

i'm planning to use the standard discs with fast road/track pads and braided hoses.

On the suspension side of things the car handles brilliantly as standard. i toyed with the idea of h&r coilovers but its a touch expensive.
how much am i looking at for a set of Cup shocks and springs?

and would you all consider this a good upgrade for my full fat 172.

thanks

Tom

and a cheeky pic of the clio in action :)

tom-vi.jpg

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nicely done :D

You'll get a wide variety of opinions on here...

Personally, I think your first priority it to get braided lines, that should firm up the pedal. I know your looking for something more serious but decent discs and pads, and a set of wheels that let your brakes breathe properly are enough to have you headbutting the windscreen time after time after time.

Mark

cheers for the help mark,

i've got a set of goodridge braided hoses ready to go on.
i've got alot of life left in the standard pads and discs so i think i'll let them wear down and then go for some mintex m1144s and groved discs and see how that goes.

do you know the distance between the mounting holes incase a set of 4pots fall into my lap???