ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cams etc

Volvo S60 T5

They dont look genuine...way to shinny.(I may be wrong)

What ya got then.... they must be a lot better...tell me more

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

post some info then ? are the new cams ? and by new I mean not just new normal 172 ones

What are we looking at here? New aftermarket cams or something ? Or you just posting pics of a stripped engine?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

its done 36k, the cams are fast road spec from Piper,

the engine bay was as I would expect in a normal road car.

not a rebuid, we are changing cams, filter, exhaust and mapping to adjust fueling

2000 model 172... nice little car....

paper towel give 15bhp across the rev range... great for stopping anoying air getting in the engine

VaVa

Is that standard paper towel or the free flowing kind??!!

On a serious note, it sounds like that car will be a quickun once its done!! Have you done anything similar to that on a 172 before?? Any idea of power gains etc??

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

10 bhp from the cams we expect then more depending on the mapping etc... as you know each engine is different...

nice set of special Renault tools needed for this job....

main gains will be mid range torque and drivability... (so much more usfull on the road than a car that has higher peak power....) we do all our engines like that.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

10 bhp just from the cams?

Blimey, surely thats a great way of increasing the power without making it obvious?

VaVa

Thats nice to hear. I would love a nice extra dollop of mid-range grunt in my 172.... Oh and another 30bhp to brag about in the pub LOL!!!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 05 February 2004

nice set of special Renault tools needed for this job....
seen a lot of people make exspensive f**k ups when they havent used them though.arent those aux belt spring tensioners a pain to get on.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

whole thing is a pain in the arse to work on.... some nice designs on the engine but a pain to set up etc etc

Integra DC5 Type R

thats a really good starting point. obviously the labour would be expensive... how long u reckon the job takes Andy?

same engine and cams, and price is for the pair.

DUnno how fast andy can do it, but he can do it PROPERLY!

ICE'dberg MK2 172

are you mapping using a rolling road.....very interested in the results. How close to 200bhp do you think it could get????

how are you mapping...doesnt the MK 1 not have a serial port...or is it a chip??

so many Qs...this could be very popular at the right price as TBs and Turbos are telephone numbers in costs!!

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 05 February 2004

DUnno how fast andy can do it, but he can do it PROPERLY!
very true..........which is why i had my conversion done at GDI

go with Andy, not a quick rushed job

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 05 February 2004

whole thing is a pain in the arse to work on.... some nice designs on the engine but a pain to set up etc etc
i know tell me about it.is that 185 for 1 cam or for the pair and do you need a chip as well or will they run ok using the standard ecu.if yes what bhp wouyld you expect to get when just using the cams and a standard ecu?

cheers,jay

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

pair mate + vat (that is for reprofiling your cams...) 172 cams are not exactly in high supply as I am sure you know.

personally I would increase the fueling to suit, as there is of course the risk of the engine running lean... this could of course be checked on the rollers...

In fact I will do this next week as we are modding one on the rollers after the cams and air filter and zorst.... (which most of you have already)...so I can turn off the map and just use the stock ecu for a run and see what the fueling is..

you will of course have "better" results after sorting the fueling...

but really if you are increasing the air in and out with zorst, filter cams then the fueling really ought to be done.... consider that on the road the air temp is lower at 90 than it can be on the rollers and the way "we" like to drive (progressivly - I hear you say)... would suggest that correct fueling is if anything a safety buffer for the engine)....

hope this helps,

Andy

GDI

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

yes i understand that running lean can cause damage but id thought i would ask.would fit the cams myself but would need a chip and the mapping doing after.let me know how it goes anyway and what are your thoughts after youve done the rr.

thanks,jay

Integra DC5 Type R

all sounds very tempting Andy. What chip/ECU upgrade would you recommend to compliment the cam work? and i assume you could undertake this aswell?

while youre at it, you should port/flow the head and manifold too. ps, I can proudly say I was the original donor for 172 cams to Piper. Warren did a great job on mine and Im very happy with the results.

ICE'dberg MK2 172

philip

maybe i missed it previously but....what is the torque/bhp for your then, and what about mapping....did they use the original ecu??