ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 cup to a Civic Fn2

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
I have a nice standard cup and thinking of getting shut soon and always had a soft spot for a Fn2 has anyone gone from a clio to a Fn2 or Fn2 to a clio if so what are your thoughts.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I got my Mrs an fn2 a couple of months ago. I have a 172 and a 200.

The fn2 is a nice car but my 200 is much more fun to drive and feels faster (Honda is very smooth and lacks engine character)

I do think they’re good value though but after a couple of months the first thing that springs to my mind (as far as impressive goes) is how much space it has when you fold down the back seat... not sure what that says.

Mrs loves it though.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I got my Mrs an fn2 a couple of months ago. I have a 172 and a 200.

The fn2 is a nice car but my 200 is much more fun to drive and feels faster (Honda is very smooth and lacks engine character)

I do think they’re good value though but after a couple of months the first thing that springs to my mind (as far as impressive goes) is how much space it has when you fold down the back seat... not sure what that says.

Mrs loves it though.
A K20 lacking character?

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
A K20 lacking character?

Just feels a bit flat and linear to me. They don’t have the same aggressive vtec change as an ep3 type r remember.

I had a jdm s2000 and would say the vtec engines are very numb feeling. Great thing about the Clio is it’ll not only rev but in my 172 for example (although has been mapped) I can jab the throttle at 1500rpm and it actually feels grunty for a 2.0 high revving engine. Do the same in the fn2 and you wouldn’t know it’s anything sporty, it’s just not the same flexible engine.

They are really composed though and the chassis copes with speed well. The fn2 always surprises me with how fast you’re actually going in it and I’d wager out of all the cars we have (inc my sti) the fn2 is prob the one I’d lose my licence in as you just think how am I doing 105mph (on track).

Even if it’d murder my 200 to 100mph I’d much rather drive the 200 and have the more exciting feel at a slower speed if that makes sense.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Fn2 much nicer car. Sort the suspension out and they're spot on.

monaco 172
I made the change from being a long time owner of 182 and 172s I bought myself an fn2 with LSD, and it's just better in every way than the Clio, apart from fuel consumption.

Tuning potential is far better too, loads more aftermarket parts. Can easily reach 240hp with a few bolt ons and a map. Better interior, less rattly.

Can't see me ever going back to Renault now tbh

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
And the guy who said the k20 lacks character, you must be smoking crack, it's night and day better than a f4r, reliability and tuning potential.

Smoking crack, not for me thanks.

If you’re talking about tuning it’s twice the engine for sure. But ours is totally stock car and it’s not just me that thinks the fn2 is a bit lacking compared to the delivery in the ep3 (the majority of fn2 owners will say it on the groups I’ve read)

To the OP, get a test drive. I will say I wanted one for myself when I first got the Mrs’ one (had it for a month before she even knew) and was thinking I could turbo one and watched all the crazy vids & how strong they are etc. But as time’s gone on I prefer the drive of the clios and I wouldn’t swap hers for mine (she likes my 200) but I don’t commute any distance and for me driving is just for fun, the fn2 is a bit more grown up and if my needs & routes were different it may be preferable to own.

A few times I’ve jumped from one to the other on the same day and the Clio just feels more eager and on its toes.

I think it’s a good car and the fn2 doesn’t deserve the hate it gets from ep3 owners, I know clarkson messed that up from the start. That was a bonus for me as it means the prices were actually pretty low for this type of quality of car and they stood out to me when I was looking for a car for the Mrs.

It does seem to trigger Honda lovers when you don’t love the engines standard delivery. I really liked my s2000 & the JDM ones are 220bhp or so iirc (?) yet even that felt very underwhelming in the engine dept. I do know someone who has a modded fn2 so look forward to seeing how that goes.

Got to remember the Clio is quite down on power compared and still feels punchy with what , 30bhp less! That alone is a compliment as it’s almost a different postcode if you think back to hot hatches of old.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was always under the impression the fn2 was more civilised compared to the dramatics in the ep3. The fn2 would strike me as the more grown up choice. Aged really well too imo.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
And the guy who said the k20 lacks character, you must be smoking crack, it's night and day better than a f4r, reliability and tuning potential.
reliability and tuning potential denotes character?

I also found them lacking character in the same way the 197/200 engine lacked character to me, and being better was what made it feel that way!

the 182 lump in my van is a gruff old thing, noisy, lumpy, unrefined low down and pulls like a train! - It has character to me

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh is the fn2 engine different to the k20a2? I'm guessing so because the k20 is awesome fun where the power band is. Lots of people drive them low down like a diesel and expect it to be fun.

monaco 172
Tbh is the fn2 engine different to the k20a2? I'm guessing so because the k20 is awesome fun where the power band is. Lots of people drive them low down like a diesel and expect it to be fun.
It's the same engine, some minor differences, inlet on the fn2 is better, fn2 has balance shafts on the oil pump which takes some of the rawness of the ep3 away. Ep3 has a higher VTEC point so you really feel it more.

My fn2 with a few small mods and an ecutek map with 235hp has totally transformed the standard car

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1
I inherited an fn2.

Quite liked it aside from two things;

The seats not fitting my McDonald's honed frame and if you were a few inches off getting in and sat on a bolster you needed to call the osteopath.

Also, they have a quite dramatically curved windscreen and it slightly distorts the view out and that gave me headaches.

Oh and the front bumper spats caught on multi-storey ramps at standard ride height.

If you're under 20 stone and the windscreen doesn't bother you (spoken to loads of people with them and no-one else had an issue with headaches) they're a bit of a bargain for what you get I reckon.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
reliability and tuning potential denotes character?

I also found them lacking character in the same way the 197/200 engine lacked character to me, and being better was what made it feel that way!

the 182 lump in my van is a gruff old thing, noisy, lumpy, unrefined low down and pulls like a train! - It has character to me

100% this. Reliability and tuning potential are miles away from character. The K20 is undoubtedly a "better" engine, but character often comes from flaws.

I quite like the FN2, and they do seem pretty good value. Not sure I'd have one over a Clio though and, for an every day car, something turbocharged is going to be better in reality.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
I inherited an fn2.

Quite liked it aside from two things;

The seats not fitting my McDonald's honed frame and if you were a few inches off getting in and sat on a bolster you needed to call the osteopath.

Also, they have a quite dramatically curved windscreen and it slightly distorts the view out and that gave me headaches.

Oh and the front bumper spats caught on multi-storey ramps at standard ride height.

If you're under 20 stone and the windscreen doesn't bother you (spoken to loads of people with them and no-one else had an issue with headaches) they're a bit of a bargain for what you get I reckon.

I thought the seats were quite generous width (not bragging haha) for recaro type seats.

I wonder if the screen has been replaced with a poorly made replacement in yours? I’ve not noticed that myself in ours and I can be a right weirdo with stuff like that (as my Mrs will attest to) But I have noticed a similar thing with distortion in some cars before that I put down to replacement screens.

I've had two over the years (I bought the second as I missed the first) I also owned an EP3 and I much preferred the FN2 as an overall car. The handling on the road was far more predictable in the FN over the EP which the steering always felt a little vague to me.
As for the cross over Honda added an artificial drop in power just before change over in the EP3 to give the 'feel' of the old school VTEC kick that previous models had.

Back to the FN, if you're using it daily I think you'll love it. The seat are the most comfortable I've ever experienced. With a couple of choice modifications such as catback exhaust or even simply an panel filter you get some theatre. A set of camber bolts and you can get a FRSU which again completely changes how it drives.

The other benefit is that the FN2 can be remapped without swapping the ECU which is worry every penny as you can and should get the VTEC crossover lowered. It transforms the car and makes it such good fun for blasting down B lanes.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
I have a nice standard cup and thinking of getting shut soon and always had a soft spot for a Fn2 has anyone gone from a clio to a Fn2 or Fn2 to a clio if so what are your thoughts.

If you can, have both like me! I kept my 172 cup which I've had from new for my weekend toy and I have an '08 FN2 for my daily.

A word of warning now, I've just shelled out quite a bit on suspension bits and pieces on my civic so I suspect they are reaching an age where they'll need a bit of refreshing. You might need to budget for that depending on the car you buy.

I think they're both great cars, but if you can afford it, hang onto the clio too!

20201022_093149.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
One other thing I’ll add about the fn2 is, rust!

Be aware they like a bit of tin worm underneath.

I gave ours a good clean up and applied bilthamber rust killer.

I’ve seen some that are really bad and you’d never know from the top. Saw pics in the FB group the other day of one that was rotten as a pear.

Saying the above, they do all rust around the top of the windscreen too. Oh and on a red one the lacquer will fade or fall off.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002

I’ve seen some that are really bad and you’d never know from the top. Saw pics in the FB group the other day of one that was rotten as a pear.

Saying the above, they do all rust around the top of the windscreen too. Oh and on a red one the lacquer will fade or fall off.

Agreed, I'm lucky with mine being ok but I think the thing with Hondas is that the engine will last forever but the car will disintegrate around it 😂

V6 255, 172 cup, ph1

Wasn't the rust around. The windscreen a recall you could do?

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002

I think so but I think it had a 10/12 year limit on the corrosion warranty. Lots of people found Honda wanted a full dealer history before they'd do the work too.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

As above, it was but a lot have only surfaced too late or people didn’t know.

It’s not a bad repair for that though if it’s just appeared.

It’s more this I’d be worried about (found the chaps pics on FB)

A288E3A3-D4EB-4834-9080-80038F043FA7.jpeg

ACBF71F4-7F5B-4834-85EE-F598C17126AC.jpeg

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Well I ended up buying one, was standard but PBS pads fitted, stainless exhaust and a HKS induction kit and getting it mapped.
Nice cars and go well, the engine is strong and sound nice the VTec kicks in around 3800 revs now after the map.
I bought it to do a few sprints/hillclimbs in it but ended up braking a few bones in my arm so first sprint was last week and took a first place.Got plans if I keep it a diff and better suspension.
But still got an itch for a 200 lol

Attachments

• 1F0A047B-91B9-4F8A-A7FD-4B908158F905.jpeg
    1F0A047B-91B9-4F8A-A7FD-4B908158F905.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 7178C3B0-6F87-42B4-8D34-05151EB13554.jpeg
    7178C3B0-6F87-42B4-8D34-05151EB13554.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • 6D1F9C45-F3D0-42A1-8780-4185335E5854.png
    6D1F9C45-F3D0-42A1-8780-4185335E5854.png
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • 08B83D41-24B1-404E-9E18-122B00BB6FC7.png
    08B83D41-24B1-404E-9E18-122B00BB6FC7.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 31

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Funnily enough been using my mrs’ FN2 earlier this week, just back in my 200 today.

Definitely glad I didn’t get one for me, still look forward to driving my 200 after a year.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Went from an EP3 direct to a 200, the 200 handles far better, unsure how they’d fair side by side, the Honda would probably edge it as the K20’s generally make the quoted power, unlike this blue b*****d of mine.🫠

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Mines 220 now and pulls well when I was getting it mapped there was a red turbo one there made 400 that was mental.